Trailer near Oban?

Forum for general cruising topics
Flobbets
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Westerly Pageant and Pentland

Trailer near Oban?

Postby Flobbets » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:38 am

As some here know, number 1 son is currently studying at SAMS near Oban. It looks like he's acquired the Hunter Europa 19 that was unfortunately blown up last week (see "Explosion in Pullers"). The boat is repairable since there was no fire subsequent to the gas explosion, the main damage being to the windows, washboards and a section of the foredeck. He therefore wants to bring her to our home in Aberdeenshire where there's plenty of space to store her.

So, help/information please: the boat is about 700kg and my trailer is unbraked so I don't think that will do. She is the sort-of-triple keel type, so there is no need for a fin keel support. Has anyone got a suitable trailer they could hire to us, or alternatively does anyone know where we could hire one for a couple of days, nearish to Oban? Or any other bright ideas?

Here's a link to a similar Europa on a trailer: http://cdn.boatshed.com/autoimage-77277 ... 00-300.jpg

Cheers

Mike

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Trailer near Oban?

Postby claymore » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:31 am

No trailer - has he bought it subsequent to the bang or was he on it at the time? If so is he OK?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Flobbets
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Westerly Pageant and Pentland

Postby Flobbets » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:53 am

Subsequent - a friend of Jamie's was phoned by the owner, who was taken to hospital in Glasgow, and asked to help with the boat, which was put onto the visitors' pontoon at Oban sailing club by the RNLI. The owner is a novice sailor who has been somewhat put off sailing by his experience.

The boat will be moved from the pontoon (probably today) by Jamie and his friend. They were originally going to tow her using Albion, but have now decided that she is seaworthy enough to move under her own steam using our 6hp outboard.

Since I hear that Jamie is now a member of this esteemed forum he will no doubt be on here shortly to correct any errors in my account!

Mike

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:23 pm

I suggest asking Sinclair Plant in Connel 01631 710762. I've not used them but they seem to have all sorts of equipment so I expect a trailer would be possible.
Derek

Icarus
Midshipman
Boat Type: Whatever I can!

Postby Icarus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 am

Hi,

Jamie here, I've been lurking for a while and met a few of you on the ceildh cruise last year but not got around to joining. :)

Dad's got it pretty much right although he's not put off sailing entirely and hopes to do some more eventually but on a bigger boat and with more tuition.

We got her around to the beach under the castle in Dunstaffnage Bay yesterday under her own steam, even some gentle sailing once jury rigging had been done.

Thanks for your advice. Dad knows the ins and outs of it more than me but the stumbling block at the moment is that the hire trailers that are big enough seem to be plated too much for our car. A couple of options have appeared though so fingers crossed!

Jamie

BarnacleBill
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Dufour 1800 DL

Postby BarnacleBill » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 am

Can't help with the hire of a trailer I'm afraid. For the long term, you could consider getting hold of a caravan chassis that can be adapted to suit the boat quite cheaply.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”