Insurance for swinging mooring.

Forum for general cruising topics
Five minute job!
Midshipman
Boat Type: H28

Insurance for swinging mooring.

Postby Five minute job! » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Anyone know who would provide year round insurance cover for a swinging mooring at Dunstaffnage? Currently with Haven Knox Johnston who will only cover April to October.
Appreciate its not everyone's cup of tea but looking to keep her in for a winter.

Before everyone tells me what a bad idea it is, I beleive it was May when various boats including Drum broke free.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Re: Insurance for swinging mooring.

Postby Gardenshed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:27 am

Pantaenius: Give them a call and explain to them exactly what you want. Anytime i've had a question, they want the full facts and circumstances ask reasonable questions.
You should also explain to them the how the mooring is maintained which (if you are in DBMOA) will be done by North West Marine, giving them assurance that this is a reasonable risk.

The location of your mooring within the bay is also significant as some parts are more exposed to swell and chop than others. You could also ask around within the mooring association to find out who, if anyone, has left a boat on a mooring unattended all winter and who insured the boat for them. There may be a reason that is not insurance related why so few boats remain there all winter.

Using the argument of Drum and May is irrelevant. I understand her anchor dragged and it was not a mooring failure and that there were people on board.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:57 am

Drum meandered from Kerrera across Oban Bay in the "sailing season"- can't see that being relevant to Dunstaffinage. Pants wanted regular inspections, 4 weekly IIRC, throughout the winter.

Five minute job!
Midshipman
Boat Type: H28

Postby Five minute job! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Many thanks for the responses. Noble marine have given a reasonable quote. Haven't tried Pantaneous yet.
Appreciate what your saying about Drum. It was more a statement on bad weather can happen out with the dates that insurers go with.

docoliver
Midshipman
Boat Type: Starlight 35

Postby docoliver » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Pantaenius were happy to insure my boat on D10 at Dunstaffnage through the winter of 2012/13.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Moody 39, Deb 33, Wayfarer, Wanderer

Postby Mavanier » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 am

My mooring was laid by myself and the local fish farm guys, using their landing craft. We supplied all the gear. So far. I have been unable to get insurance cover for what is in effect a self-laid mooring. One company said they could cover DIY moorings but only if the boat was under 30yrs old, figure out the logic there??

I've taken the approach that I can take what I would otherwise spend on insurance premiums, and invest it in swivels, shackles, and strops. But I would sleep better at night if I had insurance...

Any suggestions for a company who might take me on?

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:43 pm

I took photos of all the components of a mooring that I self laid and was able to get insurance for it.
PM me for details

Return to “Shooting the breeze”