Windy night

Forum for general cruising topics
wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Windy night

Postby wully » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Last night was a breezy one- strongest we've had this winter so far. And from the east which is not pleasant here.

I hope we are not in for a prolonged spell of easterlies again this winter- last year was miserable.

Still, boatie survived without any apparent dings ( as did her near neighbour, Claymore)

If it calms down I WILL be going for a sail this winter.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Windy night

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:30 am

Easterly weather is usually drier and sunnier in Argyll than Westerly weather.

I like Easterlies.

I am hoping to wrestle the fresh water drain plug out of my engine this weekend.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Good luck!

If I see a dinghy hanging off the stern of Fairwinds I will stop to say hello as we kayak past tomorrow.

Depending on the level of swearing.......

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:09 am

It widnae budge :cry
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:02 am

Managed to round the fresh water drain plug on Storyline's engine earlier this year. It felt like I had the right sized spanner on it but there must have been a build up of paint. Not sure what to do now - am sure the highly skilled engineers at Ardfern could get it off but that means £'s and I can think of more important things that need doing. Frustrating because the engine is a spring chicken compared to the boat and it is a bit of a pride & joy job (my mechanical skills are limited so sadly I compensate by keeping it spotlessly clean) !

Nick, what have you tried to get yours off ?
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Storyline wrote:Nick, what have you tried to get yours off ?

Tried heating and cooling (freezing spray and mini-blowlamp) but because of the position of the plug it is impossible to really heat/cool it in isolation from the surrounding metal, most notably the engine mount.

It's right under the fuel pump and inexplicably pointing downwards so there isn't room between it and the engine mount to get anything other than an open-ended spanner on. We snapped a jaw off one 8mm spanner.

Only other options seem to be removing the fuel pump or detaching the engine mount from the engine block, slackening the bottom nut and swivelling the mount out of the way - but I am worried about disturbing the alignment with option 2. And - looking at the pic - I don't think it would swivel anyway.
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Nightmare location. Is there a special tool available or could you get 2 spanners on at the same time?
different colours made of tears

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Nick, can you tell us why you want to remove this plug? Yes, I know it's to let the water out but for what purpose?

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:15 pm

It might help to break the paint seal first. Use a sharp pointy tool, (ground sharp old screwdriver, or file tang or similar) and scrape the junction between plug thread and block thread, scraping away the paint so that the paint is removed.
Then squirt some lube fluid (WD40 or similar) onto the exposed thread. Leave for a while.

The thread is probably a tapered thread, so once its started it should come easily.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:36 pm

That looks just like the brass plug that holds my pencil anode. My drain plug is like a car one, where the unscrew-able inner part has a barbed hose tail.

I agree with scraping off the paint seal. Diesel is quite a good penetrant if Plus Gas or similar isn't to hand.

Is there room to get a large-ish shifter (monkey wrench) on to it (maybe after taking off the fuel pump)?

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:35 am

Just seen your post on the op and someone mentioned sockets but you said there was not enough space but it got me thinking that if you were prepared to sacrifice one maybe there might be a way.

Take socket and cut just enough off the open end so that it does fit. Then cut a hole across/through the socket at the other end just large enough to take a small strong piece of metal rod (nail? maybe too thick and also might bend). This will give you something to get a bigger tool onto.

This presupposes;
You have access to a vice, angle grinder, drill press, inexhaustible supply of drill bits and an ability to understand my poor explanation.

Edit: a rare situtation where a soft as butter/cheap as chips type of socket would be best
Edit 2: to shorten the socket you could cut the end off that the wrench goes into as you will not need that bit.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

BarnacleBill
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Dufour 1800 DL

Postby BarnacleBill » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I would remove the fuel lift pump out of the way to get more leverage, then use a brake adjusting spanner to loosen of the plug after cleaning off the paint. ( I have used two brake adjusting spanners before, because using one was going to chew the plug) If that fails, I would remove the mounting bracket after marking marks for reassembly.
HTH
Billy

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:07 pm

BarnacleBill wrote:I would remove the fuel lift pump out of the way to get more leverage, then use a brake adjusting spanner to loosen of the plug after cleaning off the paint. ( I have used two brake adjusting spanners before, because using one was going to chew the plug) If that fails, I would remove the mounting bracket after marking marks for reassembly.
HTH
Billy

There is no room to get a brake plug spanner on unless I remove the engine mount, which is looking favourite at the moment.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Think I read you were worried about alignment but it ought not to be a problem as long as the other 3 engine mounts are good - should it?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:40 pm

claymore wrote:Think I read you were worried about alignment but it ought not to be a problem as long as the other 3 engine mounts are good - should it?

That seems to be the general consensus
- Nick 8)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”