Cowal Hills

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Cowal Hills

Postby marisca » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Now, dinnae get me wrong, I am not anti-windmills per se and certainly havnae made my mind up on this one, but there may be those out there who do care.
There is apparently a plan afoot to plant 15 x 145m high wind turbines on Forestry Commission land (i.e. ours!) above Innellan and Dunoon. No planning permission required, just approval by the Energy Consents and Deployment Unit of Holyrood. There is a website at http://www.savecowal.org which may not be in favour of the development.
So now you know - what you do is up to you.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Re: Cowal Hills

Postby Storyline » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:40 am

Do not know about the location you are referring to but just as a matter of interest I spent a couple of days with my cousin recently. He is an independent consultant working in the alt energy sector. He works for Greenpeace/Green party as well as some corporates. Anyway, he was saying that the days of wind (esp land based) are now numbered. The future will be solar and there are eye watering amounts of money being talked about. Apols if this is common knowledge (do not follow these things as much as I used to).

He was also saying that a lot of the decisions whether to create windfarms have nothing to do with the greater good but are just cynical money making ventures (probably obvious).
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

BarnacleBill
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Dufour 1800 DL

Postby BarnacleBill » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 pm

I also heard that windmills are cash cows and are not as efficient as they should be. I think they are an eyesore on the landscape.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:57 am

Storyline wrote:He was also saying that a lot of the decisions whether to create windfarms have nothing to do with the greater good but are just cynical money making ventures (probably obvious).

So just like most decisions made by government and their corporate chums, eh?
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 am

Nick wrote:
Storyline wrote:He was also saying that a lot of the decisions whether to create windfarms have nothing to do with the greater good but are just cynical money making ventures (probably obvious).

So just like most decisions made by government and their corporate chums, eh?

Something to do with gravy and trains
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:08 pm

I don't think that putting wind generators on this part of the country is a good idea, because of the aesthetics reduction.

But the topic always raises some notions that could be challenged.

Inefficiency:
Some scoff at the approx 30% efficiency of these generators. (this is more related to availability)
But they forget the comparisons. A car is about 15% efficient. (conversion of chemical energy into motion)
A fossil fuel power station is about 38% efficient.
A nuclear station has long periods off line due to maintenance.

Availability
They only work when the wind blows. Yes. But other forms (fossil fuel, nuclear) don't have 100% on-time either. It's just the technology. Sailors understand this intermittency in boats, but we forget it on land?

Ugliness.
I think some look elegant, but (IMO) these are the small groups of 2-3. The Kintyre peninsular, the A74 motorway south near Moffat are areas that have very large concentrations of turbines and look more industrialised.
But adding houses to countryside makes alters the appearance too, but there's far less objection to that despoilation.

Inventive man will come up with new or improved ways to harness energy from the sun (or derivatives) that will cope, but unless we experiment, we'll not find them. Otherwise our choice is to use less (turn off the lights) or poison the atmosphere continuing using fossil fuels.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:20 pm

mm5aho wrote:
Inventive man will come up with new or improved ways to harness energy from the sun (or derivatives) that will cope, but unless we experiment, we'll not find them. Otherwise our choice is to use less (turn off the lights) or poison the atmosphere continuing using fossil fuels.

Or have less people on the planet.

Perhaps EBOLA IS the solution (where is the tongue-in-cheek smiley when you need it?)
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:28 pm

"Or have less people on the planet. "

How will having smaller people help?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:19 am

If we could invent some system of transmitting power over long distances without too much power loss, the sunnier and poorer areas in Africa could benefit from the redistribution of wealth from the richer north. Don't know the actual figures but there must be enough energy falling on completely barren desert areas where solar farms would have negligible environmental impact. There must be research going into ultra high conductivity in parallel with fusion, tidal, etc. etc.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:11 am

Storyline wrote:If we could invent some system of transmitting power over long distances without too much power loss, the sunnier and poorer areas in Africa could benefit from the redistribution of wealth from the richer north. Don't know the actual figures but there must be enough energy falling on completely barren desert areas where solar farms would have negligible environmental impact. There must be research going into ultra high conductivity in parallel with fusion, tidal, etc. etc.

Here's how much solar energy it would take to power the world:

Come on humanity, get your act together ffs
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Amazing graphic

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:02 am

Here we are, surrounded by waters where tides flow constantly and still we look to harness energy from winds which don't.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:06 am

claymore wrote:?.. tides flow constantly ...

If Noah really had got his show aff ra groond, the rule of twelths wid be the Ten Commandments; dump orra ithers like coveting her twa doors doon. It wid huv the lot; every 6 hours or so the guid Lord takes a rest and on the seventh hour gans back again ....

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:27 am

Ye soond mair like a Rechabite wi every day that passes :violin:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:02 pm

How so, my fevered friend? I take the drink and do bit of this and a bit of that and don't live in a tent. One o yon must sound a bit orra grim fekker don't youse think?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”