faroes charts

Forum for general cruising topics
voyager35
Able Seaman
Boat Type: voyager 35

faroes charts

Postby voyager35 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:42 pm

I am thinking about a trip to the Faroe islands next year and have been looking for a source of online charts to use on a laptop/tablet but have so far drawn a blank
Any one know if any are available
Also which is the recommended pilot guide for the area

Aros More
Midshipman
Boat Type: Endurance 37

Re: faroes charts

Postby Aros More » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi,
I was there 2 years ago and used CMap charts which were fine. Imray do a pilot book which unfortunately covers Greenland and Iceland but that said it is enough to get by with. Tides can be quite strong and complex in the fjords for which you can buy a local tidal stream atlas. Lovely and dramatic islands with friendly people well worth a visit.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:04 am

Have always fancied going a bit offshore and have been considering the Faroes as Scandinavia is too far to be doable in our limited amount of holidays.

There is just the doubt about the weather though as it always seems to be worse the further north you go - often feel for the fishing boats in SE Iceland !

Aros More, any chance you could give a rough outline of your route and times taken please ?
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Aros More
Midshipman
Boat Type: Endurance 37

Postby Aros More » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm

I sailed from Edinburgh to Stromness and took in a few days at the Orkney folk festival which was great. I left Stromness with a couple of pals with a light NE to N wind. Tried to sail but ended up motoring the last 100 miles. We made straight to Thorshavn but could have made landfall further south on Sando or Sydero. We headed to north Coast via Vestmanna and then west to Soervagg as wind was strong easterly. The weather in general was very good (early June) with lots of sunshine and only a few showers. The wind was generally from a North and Easterly direction. We sailed on the return all the way from Faroe to Stornoway on a broad reach in just over 40 hours. If you check my blog for 2012 the trip is there with photos.
http://arosmore.blogspot.co.uk
Facilities in Thorshavn are very good but less so elsewhere though you are made very welcome and often without charge. Shops etc are limited and expensive. Pubs and restaurants even more limited so be prepared for lots of meals on board.
I really enjoyed the trip and will go back sometime. The landscape is very grand and dramatic with massive cliffs and jagged mountain peaks. I reckon its as quick for me to go there from Edinburgh than to get through the canal to Fort William! Let me know if I can be of any help.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks for the info and link to your blog Aros More :) Sounds like you were fortunate with the weather in June.
Suppose May & June are likely to be more settled but the water temperature is very cold then and we have no heating on board !

Voyager35, which month next year are you thinking of going ?
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

voyager35
Able Seaman
Boat Type: voyager 35

Postby voyager35 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 pm

If I go on my own I will aim to be up there around the summer solstice in June but if her who must be obeyed decides to be brave and come with me it will be in the school holidays around the end of July.
I think this is the sort of trip you plan but unless you are lucky or have plenty of time to spend waiting for the weather you have to accept that it may not happen.
with a good forecast I can get there in four days from my mooring so hopefully its just a question of watching the forecast and abandoning work. once I Am away people are used to me only coming back when the weather lets me

Return to “Shooting the breeze”