Oban Marina

Forum for general cruising topics
Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Oban Marina

Postby Fingal » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 am

Things seem to be going downhill, to the extent that my normally tolerant co-owner was provoked to email the MD with some rather pointed feedback recently. Poor communication, lack of clarity about the water situation, inadequate and ungracious ferry service, and so on. We are fairly regular visitors but may adopt an alternative if things don't improve. How have others found things there recently?
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

inboard
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody 33

Re: Oban Marina

Postby inboard » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:28 am

We left the boat there for a days in August. They were perfectly courteous. I was advised beforehand (when I phoned to check there was a berth available) that water was limited. One of the ferry crew could benefit from "speaking with customers" lessons, but the others were great. I think the ferry is a problem for them, the conflicting desires of yacht crews and (varying numbers of) restaurant-visiting tourists seems difficult to balance in a small craft with limited passenger capacity...and that seems to lead to stressful situations for the crew.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:57 pm

I stayed a night in late August.
Not being a regular, called on VHF for a berth. Straightforward reply, with clear directions.
Went to the shop to pay. Reception there was a bit cool. A large number of people in the tiny shop though, and was perhaps under some pressure.
Used the ferry twice, and met some visitors from Oban who used it to get across. The ferries were very busy, both running, but to erratic timetables. The woman who runs one was very courteous, the guy on the other far less so.
The water situation was confusing. As I only needed a little, I carried a few jerrycans full from the tap at the top of the ramp. But several other boats were seeking a fill. Only one hose between umpteen taps and no water in any of them. I overheard a few choice words about water from others.

While there I noted the exchanges between marina people and crew of a boat that needed an emergency lift out. (had pushed keel plate through hull, and caused a seriously big hole. Noted elsewhere in another thread about this).
I don't know the story here, but got the strong impression that this was not a "smooth transaction". (Sunday evening, had to wait for enough tide, etc etc).

I thought that the amenities could do with better cleaning and maintenance. Small bits and pieces broken, not as clean as expected, and untidy.
Boatyards are mostly untidy places, but I think that a tidy place with friendly people goes a long way to making up for any deficit in equipment or facilities.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 pm

This was on the ramp at Oban Marina.

Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Yotter
Able Seaman

Postby Yotter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Hello all
I visited Oban marina in July to fuel up. Contact was made via HHF to ensure they had diesel (been there before), have known then to have none available on previous occasions. Fuel was no problem, but was keen to water up since heading for western isles , no water by hose, this had to be done using a single 25 litre can from pierhead. This was very painful, 25litres at a time in a trolley, quite ridiculous really. Why they charge premium marina charges in beyond me?
Angus

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm

I was in last night and there is a definite end-of-season feel with half the berths empty. There is currently water on the pontoons but this is from a desalination plant which can be heard whining away day and night. I am told that water usage has always been a bone of contention between the marina and the islanders and this was at the root of the recent "shortage."

The facilities have always been a bit haun'-knit, which I don't mind being a bit haun'-knit myself, however the showers have been so squalid this year that I haven't used them. Have to agree with comments about some of the staff - it costs nothing to smile.

I'm told also that their planning application for a major re-development has recently been rejected.
different colours made of tears

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:06 am

Earlier this year we went in for the first time and were told that the water supply (from a spring ?) had been condemmed as being undrinkable. Not sure I would want to fill the tank there now anyway.

For us the major benefit for calling in was to get the the ferry and fill up with prawn tails & some fish from the excellent fish shop.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:09 am

Was in a couple of weeks ago. paid for an electric card then was told there weren't any, come back later.

Pretty poor when Craobh and Dunstaffnage have unmetered leccy.
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:23 am

Nick wrote:.

Pretty poor when Craobh and Dunstaffnage have unmetered leccy.

And Ardfern but a charge of c£3.50 a night is made

A couple of other points;

What other options are there for a quick trip ashore to go to the fish shop - I presume a dinghy would be needed ?
Has anyone come alongside a fishing boat on the fish quay - a trip to the fish shop would only take ten minutes ?
Used to do this at various fishing ports in the Irish Sea and always found the fishermen very friendly providing you obviously fell in with their movements.

Any more news about the planned marina ?
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:19 am

In defense of Oban, I berth there , have done for the last 2 summers. I wouldn't currently p*ss on dunstaffnage if it was on fire. The electricity cards at Oban were introduced because of boats showing up at a berth after the office had closed, and leaving early , without paying.
My understanding is contrary to Silkie's, that the new building is going ahead, which may explain why refurb cash is not being spent on the current toilet block. The water situation is a pain, I fill up at the Oban moorings pontoon (and gladly pay their short stay fee, its a good facility), but wish that a mains supply would be installed to kerrera ( but waiting for Oban cooncil to do anything constructive seems to be an utter waste of time).
I do hope every thing planned for next year at Oban works out.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”