I find it hard to believe

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

I find it hard to believe

Postby claymore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 am

That there are still threads on Anchoring in TOP with they experts pontificating over the best methods, best gear, how many revs astern and how many times a year they anchor - clearly substantiating their 'expert' status.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Storyline
Master Mariner

Re: I find it hard to believe

Postby Storyline » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Have to confess I am a rev counter on Top, but being unable to do it for real as am currently stuck in a very damp Liverpool cyber anchoring gives a small degree of pleasure.

There is also the hope that some of the chuck it all over the side charterers might read some of these threads which would be good news for me as swmbo frequently frets that a nearby boat will drag down onto us in the night (never actually happened though).
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Well - its better if they do - don't you still need some new spray dodgers?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Good memory ;)
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:50 pm

I remember a few years back waking up in the night hearing an unexpected noise.
We'd anchored in Caladh Harbour, in the south end. Knowing it to be rocky there, we put a trip on a float, which also shows the anchor location.
Someone else had slipped in quietly in the night and anchored north of us, and dragged onto us. Weather was quiet, so the hulls hitting was not severe. I was more concerned about them hanging also on our hook, 2 boats on one anchor?
We eventually woke them up and by this time had our engine started. I was concerned about them weighing anchor might bring ours up too, and tangle our trip line, the float for which was by now floating alongside them. Took a while to get the message across that they should not engage gear now their engine was running, or they'd risk a tripline round the prop.
Eventually got all the kit retrieved, and we re-anchored and went back to sleep. They went and anchored elsewhere.
In the morning they came back with a present of amber liquid. (unnecessary, but found a new home).
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:30 am

Nice gesture and good to know not all errant anchorers are the devil's spawn. Some are however - came into Drombhuie a few weeks ago to find a cat in the sw corner under the trees, as i know from previous experience the holding is not good by the little beach and still wanting to be under the trees as an occ 8 was forecast we went to drop our anchor just off his stern. The guy came into the cockpit and told me in no uncertain terms to bu**er off elsewhere. Dropped anchor about 10m away and all was ok.

A few days later we were visiting friends in the lagoon so anchored in the anchorage between the red & green buoys. For those that do not know these mark quite a large area. An hour or so later the same cat came into the lagoon and proceeded to anchor directly ahead of us at 90 degrees to us and directly across our cable. I stared in disbelief and shouted over he had put his cable across ours. He shouted back a few words I did not catch but they were not pleasant. Fortunately he did not lift our anchor and he went off to another part of the anchorage.

Needless to say, his blue ensign was dutifully furled at dusk.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:55 am

Storyline wrote:Have to confess I am a rev counter on Top, but being unable to do it for real as am currently stuck in a very damp Liverpool cyber anchoring gives a small degree of pleasure.

There is also the hope that some of the chuck it all over the side charterers might read some of these threads which would be good news for me as swmbo frequently frets that a nearby boat will drag down onto us in the night (never actually happened though).

I'm a chuck it over the side charterer!

Momentum of the boat if sailing and/or wind and tide almost always sorts it out.

Mind ewe, if other people have a different preferred strategy, that's fine too.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Just a matter of preference, judging by the fact that you very rarely see boats dragging then virtually any technique must work.
For me (& swmbo) the whole ritual of anchoring is highly enjoyable - would not want to do it any quicker ;)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”