iPad as a plotter

Forum for general cruising topics
wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: iPad as a plotter

Postby wully » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:40 pm

SteveN wrote:..or remove the 'AC selector' charts from the system as they're not needed when using Antares with another, e.g. Admiralty, chartset. Without them you'll get a red outline shown for each Antares chart and will zoom/scroll straight to them without the selector chart being shown and getting in the way.

Ta!

inboard
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody 33

Postby inboard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 am

Does anyone have the DVD of memory-map UKHO charts for UK & Ireland? I'm trying to find out what format the charts are in (memory map haven't responded to my query...). Is it BSB?

Reason for query is that I'm keen to use them with GPSNavX on my Mac. BSB will work fine with this.

thanks,

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 am

I believe that Memory Map uses the QCT (QuickChart) format for all its maps and charts.

inboard
Able Seaman

Postby inboard » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks, Steve - useful, though not the answer I'd hoped for!

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:25 pm

sam wrote:Storyline, yes, yes and yes.
Greyfisherman, I use a samsung tablet for my antares charts and have not had any problems with visiblilty on sunny days.

Okay, I have to contradict myself. I was using the samsung this weekend and I have to say that the visiblilty is affected by the sun, although sorted by shading.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Storyline wrote:Have only just got the Antares charts and am looking forward to using them over the next few weeks. They are obviously nice to have as the more info the better but has anyone actually gone into places they would not have if they did not have them ? A related question, has anyone gone into different parts of an anchorage they know because they have the more detailed info ?

Suppose what I am asking is, apart from the interest of knowing what is around you under the water, are they actually useful ?

Just an update after returning from our first cruise with the Antares charts and can now answer my question (for the benefit of anyone thinking of investing). They are very useful, not only for confirming pilotage into new places but even better for showing places where we would not of thinking of going before. Found the best platform was phone. All in all, £10.95 extremely well spent.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

That's useful info - thanks.
Think I'll get a set of these too, to complement Seaclear and Visit my harbour UK charts.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

inboard
Able Seaman

Postby inboard » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:39 pm

I've just downloaded MaxSea on the iPad. On first inspection, it's excellent, and far better than MemoryMap for UKHO raster charts - it even includes live animations of tides and tidal streams (as Navionics and most of the other vector chart plotters and apps do now). The app is free (on iOS) and UK/ Eire/ Holland-Brittany raster charts are £35.

Only problem is, Antares doesn't work with it...yet. I'm going to see how MaxSea does over the next few weeks of pottering out West and if it is as good as I think, I'll post back here and will ask Antares if they're likely to support it.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Storyline, I also have used Antares charts to enter places which I would have been hesitant to enter without them. Which worries me as if Uncle Sam messes with he sattelites, I would be right up the creek. Literally. Unless they messed with them in a big way as the mark one eyeball would keep me right. Places where the tablet has eased my mind include Castle Tioram, entering loch Eishort and getting into the wee anchorage in Loch Scavaig to go and see Loch Coruisk.

Regarding viewability, maybe the Samsung tablet is different from my Acer one, but the reflective screen is a real pain in bright conditions. We resorted to me sitting in the shade, hunched over the tablet and Irene on the wheel reasonding to "we want to be 20 feet to port" or "we need to start a slow turn to starboard now. er - I SAID A SLOW TURN!"
Ken

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Wight Dawn wrote:Storyline, I also have used Antares charts to enter places which I would have been hesitant to enter without them. Which worries me as if Uncle Sam messes with he sattelites, I would be right up the creek. Literally. Unless they messed with them in a big way as the mark one eyeball would keep me right. Places where the tablet has eased my mind include Castle Tioram, entering loch Eishort and getting into the wee anchorage in Loch Scavaig to go and see Loch Coruisk.

If you are concerned about the gps accuracy (and with some of the Antares charts it is so tempting to rely on it) then there is a useful little app that monitors solar storms and warns you when the gps accuracy is likely to be compromised. This happens more often than one would think. The app sits in the status bar of your phone and consumes very little overhead. Just one downside, you need a phone connection but as it checks regularly the chances are it will update as you sail in and out of reception. Not much use if you stay put in one place without reception (which is my type of anchorage :)).

K-index Monitor by bizztrade

During our recent cruise we were astounded how accurate the gps/Antares combo was on our phones (Moto G). The weather was fantastic so we spent a few days messing around in the Ardmores. Some of this was playing in the dinghy with the leadline and the Antares charts. Reckon we were reliably getting accuracy of 2-3 metres which seems better than you would expect.

You say you went into Moidart up to Castle Tioram, how much do you draw as the last time we went in we were in our old boat which only drew 4' ? Even then we very nearly touched in places so I had mentally written the place off as we now draw 6'. Had not thought of using Antares to help getting in but anyway I am not is a rush to go back as last time we were there we got gale bound and spent 5 days & nights staring at that dammed castle ! It was the year of the coastguard strikes so no weather forecasts and there was no phone signal. This conveniently coincided with a series of deep lows and is the reason we have now got Navtex.

Edit: have just looked at the Antares charts and it was the bar to the n/w of Riska where we nearly ran out of water. There should be water there (just) so maybe it was neaps (will have to look at the log book).
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Got my Antares charts last night when arriving back from a long weekend sail. Installed on home machine OK, so will put on notebook that I take away.
First impression - impressed!

Now to try it out for real, with GPS connected. In 2nd half August intend heading towards Skye area, so plenty to check out.
Has been interesting to compare my memory of places with the new information. So far good agreement. For example during SIPR sheltered in a little inlet off Pladda Light (east of there) waiting for tidal break, and the rocks are pretty much about where I remember them to be!!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”