iPad as a plotter

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

iPad as a plotter

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:56 pm

The thought of having to take a MoBo with zero instrumentation and no charts from Cullipool round to Balvicar this afternoon was what finally prompted me to fire up the iPad with Memory Map and Antares charts and the Bluetooth GPS receiver, all gear bought last year before Kathy got ill and ignored ever since due to lack of time.

Anyway, it all works splendidly - just thought I would let you know. Antares charts seem to come up seamlessly when one is available - as it is for Cullipool - and the Memory Map charts work a treat as well. The wee Bluetooth receiver can be put anywhere convenient, and the iPad is then in range anywhere on the boat.

Great to have on board as a back-up if nothing else.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: iPad as a plotter

Postby claymore » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Para has brought his along on the Chents cruise for the past 2 years - very impressive performance although his Kindle reading matter is a little dubious.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:23 am

For Android tablets I can recommend the Marine Navigator app (£5.60) with the VisitMyHarbour admiralty chartset (£15) plus Antares.

Similar functionality with seamless scrolling through the charts and auto selection depending on scale.

Plus most Android tablets already have a GPS or can use any bluetooth GPS (even a phone with the Bluetooth Output app) and not just the very expensive Apple-approved ones.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

The only regret with the Antares charts is that they were not available when we had a shoal draft bilge keeler and a youthful adventurous spirit which led us to explore places we would be hesitant to go into now ! It is amazing the difference 2' less draft makes.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Greyfisherman
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Etap 32s

Postby Greyfisherman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:27 am

Hmmm - very interesting that UKHO charts and Antares works seamlessly on either an Ipad or Android equipped with it's internal GPS.

Would be useful to use in the cockpit for getting into anchorages and to find the best spots.

Now I know it "persists" down fairly regularly in northern parts so sunlight viewable may not be high on the list of must haves but just wondered what the experience was in viewing the screen in both bright light and direct sunshine - do you have to shield from the light ?

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Another option (free) on Android devices is to load MapFactor which is a tom-tom like satnav app. After it is installed it gives you the options to download free maps. The ones we chose were 'open streetmap' (crowd sourced) and the os road maps. Although Memory Map does not seem to recognise the open streetmap it does recognise the ordnance survey so you can pan around the map and the Antares charts are shown as red blocks but they open when you zoom in. Just a handy way to locate the anchorage without wading through the list of chartlets.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Greyfisherman wrote:Hmmm - very interesting that UKHO charts and Antares works seamlessly on either an Ipad or Android equipped with it's internal GPS.

My iPad doesn't have an internal GPS - I am using a wee Bluetooth gizmo.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:03 pm

I must have mine set up wrong..when zooming in my Aye-Pad jumps to the Antares graphic that shows what charts are available in the area.

Apart from that annoyance, it's a great toy.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:04 pm

wully wrote:I must have mine set up wrong..when zooming in my Aye-Pad jumps to the Antares graphic that shows what charts are available in the area.

Apart from that annoyance, it's a great toy.

Just zoom further.

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:56 am

..or remove the 'AC selector' charts from the system as they're not needed when using Antares with another, e.g. Admiralty, chartset. Without them you'll get a red outline shown for each Antares chart and will zoom/scroll straight to them without the selector chart being shown and getting in the way.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 am

Jings - whit an I.T savvy bunch!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Greyfisherman
Able Seaman

Postby Greyfisherman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:24 am

Nick wrote:
Greyfisherman wrote:Hmmm - very interesting that UKHO charts and Antares works seamlessly on either an Ipad or Android equipped with it's internal GPS.

My iPad doesn't have an internal GPS - I am using a wee Bluetooth gizmo.

I too currently use a Bluetooth VMH GPS with my Laptop for UKHO charts and Antares as a way of finding my way into anchorages but it's unwieldy and the biggest problem is seeing the screen clearly in the cockpit in sunlight or even on a brightish day.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has used an Ipad or Android tablet with Antares - just how viewable the screen is on a sunny or bright day.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 am

Have only just got the Antares charts and am looking forward to using them over the next few weeks. They are obviously nice to have as the more info the better but has anyone actually gone into places they would not have if they did not have them ? A related question, has anyone gone into different parts of an anchorage they know because they have the more detailed info ?

Suppose what I am asking is, apart from the interest of knowing what is around you under the water, are they actually useful ?

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:38 am

Storyline, yes, yes and yes.
Greyfisherman, I use a samsung tablet for my antares charts and have not had any problems with visiblilty on sunny days.

Greyfisherman
Able Seaman

Postby Greyfisherman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:33 pm

sam wrote:Storyline, yes, yes and yes.
Greyfisherman, I use a samsung tablet for my antares charts and have not had any problems with visiblilty on sunny days.

Sam - - many thanks - bit of a Samsung fan anyway - what size of Sammy tablet do you use - and do you use it with it's own GPS or an external one ?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”