Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: AIS

Postby mm5aho » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm going to try it this summer.

I bought a really cheap broken one off Ebay. It had suffered physical damage, but I figured the board inside was probably OK.
After refurbishing the box, and fitting new connectors / sockets etc, it now works fine.
I tried it at home and can see ships a way out in the Forth and passing up the east coast. My antenna is about mast height, but above ground, which is about 150m asl. But I can "see" about 40-50 miles.

Its a receive only type, and I have it integrating to SeaClear. Hope to operate it to see how useful it is over the summer on the west coast.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Mercian
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Rival32

Postby Mercian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 pm

I am trying it too this year. Bought a NASA AIS engine and will link it to my also new chartplotter.

Will report back on how it all works, or doesnt!

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm

I'm ahead of the curve then. Due to my superior brainpower, technical skills, etc., etc. I managed to connect my SH GX2100 to an IBM Thinkpad and generate targets on both Belfield and OpenCPN. I've had this capability for 2 years and can't say it is much improvement on the MkI eyeball except for a couple of days of fog last summer when knowing that it was the Clansman hooting in the Sound of Mull and that its track was missing me by a couple of cables stopped me scurrying towards the shore.
Otherwise, once the novelty has worn off, it isn't much cop and is off most of the time. If I needed to send a DSC call to a vessel on the display, it would be useful, but I never have.
Oh, and it can show ships changing course for you in places like the Minch, usually about 6 or 7 miles away, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Never seen the need for it in the type of sailing I do.

I've got a GPS, depth sounder and a bog-standard VHF. I would estimate that 95% of my navigation is by Mk1 eyeball, so I can't justify spending my hard-earned on a load of fancy gismos. Apart from calling Peterhead harbour to get permission to leave/enter the port, I've only used my VHF twice in 6 years, and one of these occasions was when another yacht called me!

I go sailing to get away from this high-tech world.

Having said that, I did get a new fancy phone which I can get weather forecasts on. This was purely because I could no longer get replacement batteries for my old one.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Rowana wrote:Never seen the need for it in the type of sailing I do.

I've got a GPS, depth sounder and a bog-standard VHF. I would estimate that 95% of my navigation is by Mk1 eyeball, so I can't justify spending my hard-earned on a load of fancy gismos. Apart from calling Peterhead harbour to get permission to leave/enter the port, I've only used my VHF twice in 6 years, and one of these occasions was when another yacht called me!

Having said that, I did get a new fancy phone which I can get weather forecasts on. This was purely because I could no longer get replacement batteries for my old one.

You'd get on well with Wight Dawn - he doesn't use his VHF either :shake:
Regards
Claymore

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:37 pm

claymore wrote:
Rowana wrote:Never seen the need for it in the type of sailing I do.

You'd get on well with Wight Dawn - he doesn't use his VHF either :shake:

I don't either, talking to a marina to see where they want me to park is what a moiby is for.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 am

Would be great in busy areas like down south, particularly cross-Channel passages, but not sure I see much point in The West unless you intend doing a lot of overnight sailing. I seem to recall that DaveS used AIS for some of his longer passages.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:30 am

Yes, I agree with that - Parahandy wouldn't leave home without his but then he spends his days in and around the Solent.
I was just thinking about making the trip over to Denmark and whether or not I'd be better off with one
Regards
Claymore

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 am

claymore wrote:I was just thinking about making the trip over to Denmark and whether or not I'd be better off with one

Divnae fret, Ahm sure the ferry will already have one.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 am

Which reminds me - is it Brittany or P&O that you follow when you go to Cherbourg?
Regards
Claymore

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:12 pm

I use it occasionally, on balance I'd rather have it when crossing shipping lanes than not. I found it useful when going round the Norfolk coast at night.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm expecting to find it more of a novelty and curiosity (what ship is that?, and... wonder how many megawatts it takes to get that ship to that speed?) than an aid to navigation.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:02 pm

I've got a receiver that will be of comfort in fog but it usually stays switched off since yer average yotty equipped with one leaves it on 24/7 and after a few days I was heartily sick of 'dangerous vessel' alarms anytime I was anywhere near a Yott harbour or anchorage.

It must be next to useless in the home of British Yachting, the magnificent Solent.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 am

claymore wrote:................I was just thinking about making the trip over to Denmark and whether or not I'd be better off with one

on our trip from forth to skaggerak in may 2008 I saw 4 boats, hth.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”