I finally cracked today ...

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

I finally cracked today ...

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:02 pm

I had this memory of crisp blue skies and gentle breezes in November and December but apart from one circumnavigation of Bute and a couple of day sails, the weather has been unmitigated shite. Today I gave up and stripped the sails off ready to pull the mast out before lifting. It was a somewhat damp day!

Since I last saw the boat, the Raymarine whirligig and vane has disappeared from the top of the mast! Bit of a nuisance as I gather ST50 yins are rarer than hens' teeth and the ST60 version is incompatible - that is unless any of you know different?

And finally, I am borrowing 9kg and 13kg Knox* anchors on Thursday to check how well (if) they fit onto my (and another's) bow roller. They will be visiting JWD and Ardrossan one day 'tween then and N'erday. If any of you want try them, get in touch.

*Knox anchors are new generation roll bar contraptions with good antecedents and are produced in Anstruther - google if you want to know more. No, I have no connection - but I do have a knock-off CQR copy that gives me the heebies when I go ashore for any time.

Merry Crimble

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: I finally cracked today ...

Postby claymore » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:17 pm

I think you are right with the windvanes
I have replaced st50 depth and speed instruments but was told that its not on to do the wind.
B
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Two major types of windy thingummie, pulsing reed switch, and small generator that outputs a voltage. Oone needs a voltmeter instrument, t'other needs an integrator to count pulses. Raymarine told me that st 30 not good with modern 60s. But I dont have windy job, so was able to replace st30 instrument with existing depth and log. But yet to try in water!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:40 pm

There is a geezer who trades on ebay does all kinds of refurbished raymarine gadgets. My co-owner may have the details.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:58 pm

I have replaced my ST40 wind instrument which worked well for a couple of years, had various problems for 3 or 4 years, then failed entirely. I had a notion of re-using the 2 wire rotovector? masthead transducer (which I think still works), possibly using an Arduino to give an independent windspeed output on a display next to my bunk. Does anyone have any information on operating voltage, likely current profile, etc.?

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:49 pm

A wee update on the Knox anchors - the borrowed 9 & 13kg models will be visiting JWD and Ardrossan tomorrow (Sunday) if it is of interest to anyone.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:22 pm

marisca wrote:A wee update on the Knox anchors - the borrowed 9 & 13kg models will be visiting JWD and Ardrossan tomorrow (Sunday) if it is of interest to anyone.

Do you have prices for these?

There are no prices on the website.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:44 pm

If you have to ask, you can't afford one!

I haven't dared to ask yet but http://www.marinechandlery.com/knox-anchor-25632 gives prices ........................... definitely not cheap! With luck it won't fit and I can put my head back in the sand.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:11 pm

I note that these Knox anchors are galvanized, and also that they are made from high strength steel.... "Fabricated in UK using steel of the highest available tensile strength."

Galvanizing is sometimes not advised for high tensile steels as the process can lead to hydrogen embrittlement. I wonder what they do to avoid that? (there are ways, but do they use them?)
Not sure where they are fabricated, but likely galvanized near to fabrication location?
Geoff.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:20 pm

I have used my 18kg Knox Anchor (12t Rival 41C) a few times in mud now but not in any trying conditions. At full chat with my Perkins 4236 it doesn't budge an inch and indeed pulls the boat up smartly (I scribe a big arc when applying reverse thrust, so the bow is never in line with the chain lay to anchor). The big difference for me is the weight I am saving by replacing a 60lb CQR with 40lb Knox.

I have no connection with Knox Anchors, just a satisfied customer.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:30 pm

marisca wrote:With luck it won't fit and I can put my head back in the sand.

I'm quite sure you'll make it fit if you decide that it's the best anchor for the best boat - and I'm prepared to bet you will. :)

Just a shame you weren't quick enough to get a Raya!
different colours made of tears

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:53 pm

It doesn't fit! I can't imagine (actually, I can and that's the problem) sailing into a head sea with this thing dangling out in front. The only stable position is with the roll bar jammed against the pulpit and the shank jammed under the furling gear and that looks like a recipe for damage. The CQR also lies quite happily on the deck - the CO32 anchor locker hardly takes the chain alone with the winch motor (previous owner's idea) stealing too much space. Also tried a 13kg on a Starlight 35 and again not a happy stow. I think what I need is new generation flukes with an articulated shank and no roll bar.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Our Spade doesn't fit on the bow roller.

We carry it hooked over the pulpit and bungied in place.

It means it is a bit of a faff unbungie-ing it and feeding it under the pulpit prior to anchoring and vice versa on departure, but you would get used to it and for us I guess the unstowing and stowing adds a minute either end of the operation.
- Nick 8)

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:08 pm

That car under your bow better watch out! (anchor looks unsecured?)

drifting a bit further... Does your windlass pull against the chainlocker hinges? Appears to be mounted on chainlocker lid, which is presumably mainly secured by the hinges. Does that mean main force is countered by the hinges mainly?
Geoff.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:44 pm

You can relax Geoff. The anchor with the car has got a line to hold it and the windlass doesn't rely on the locker hinges. You can only see one of them but there are 3x10mm bolts either side holding an 1" thick bearer on which the windlass is mounted. The anchor locker lid has been cut just forward of the windlass. Nuisance is there is no way to get an anchor into the locker and the chain needs distribution after every 5m or so or it piles up and jams.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”