Sailors and Moboists -- give and take

Forum for general cruising topics
polestar
Able Seaman
Boat Type: nord star 28

Sailors and Moboists -- give and take

Postby polestar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Good afternoon. I'm new here, so if this topic is inappropriate please excuse me.

I've spent almost all my life sailing, first dinghies and then cruising keelboats. Recently, increasing age and infirmity meant that my sailing partner and I could only go on going to sea if we changed to a motor-boat. Slightly to my surprise I have found that these provide a set of pilotage and passage planning challenges which are distinct from, but as interesting as, those found under sail.

When I sailed I had all the usual prejudices about rude and thoughtless moboists, with their gas guzzling, wash and general disregard for others. Since I metamorphosed into a moboist I have noted an almost mirror image lack of courtesy and consideration from the skippers and helms of sailing boats towards passing mobos.

If I've just altered course 30 degrees to pass you 300 yds off instead of the 100yds (which is all that would be needed for you not to feel my wash, as long as I'm on the plane) I'd really appreciate a kind wave instead of a clenched fist. If you are going to tack when no wind-shift, navigational hazard, or observable racing situation makes it necessary I'd be glad if you would consider the implications of the ColRegs before just assuming that I'll take appropriate avoiding action. When you're sitting stationary in a narrow fairway in a strong cross-wind considering your next move at leisure I would be eternally grateful if you recognised how much effort it takes for me to hold station under similar conditions.

There, that should spark some debate -- but a much more gentile one than might be the case in the YBW lounge (I hope)

Bill

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Sailors and Moboists -- give and take

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forum Bill.

It's never been a problem on the (real) West coast because until very recently there have been few cruising MoBos. The 'professionals' - trip boats, diving RIBs, fishermen etc - are generally courteous and sensible.

Now though, with the spread of pontoons more MoBos are appearing on the scene - in Tobermory over two or there years, and latterly in Maillaig with the appearance of a marina there. I have to say though that it is a case of 'so far, so good'. I can honestly say that I have never had cause to curse a MoBo or wave anything other than the full complement of fingers at them. Long may it continue.

The Clyde is of course a smaller 'pond', so there may just inevitably be more friction.
- Nick 8)

polestar
Able Seaman
Boat Type: nord star 28

Postby polestar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:50 pm

My comment was actually occasioned by one of your own posts on another thread, in which you imply that the extreme unpleasantness of some posters on the YBW Lounge thread, is correlated with their operation of "expensive motor-boats".

I wanted to point out that it is possible to operate a vessel in a seamanlike way irrespective of its power source, and (as a subsidiary point) that discourtesy is not always from motor to sail but is equally frequently the other way around. In most cases I suspect that it stems from lack of appreciation of the different characteristics of vessel types other than those with which one is familiar.

A final point relates to your statement that the "real" west coast (i.e. W. of the Crinan Canal?) is much less crowded than the Clyde. In fact other than at weekends, the Clyde is almost empty, which is more than can be said for the Sound of Mull in August, which in my experience frequently resembles the M25.

Bill

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:20 pm

polestar wrote:My comment was actually occasioned by one of your own posts on another thread, in which you imply that the extreme unpleasantness of some posters on the YBW Lounge thread, is correlated with their operation of "expensive motor-boats"

The two facts may be entirely unrelated - correlation does not imply causation. I think that - as Storyline commented - it is probably more to do with 'self-made man' syndrome.

And of course, the statements 'Most knobs in the Lounge drive MoBos' in no way implies logically that 'most MOBo drivers are knobs' , and I am very sorry if you have seen fit to interpret it that way. I have encountered plenty of decent MoBoers on YBW over the years.

As you say, the Sound of Mull is - for this neck of the woods - a very busy bit of water. In spite of that I have never seen any bad behaviour or anything other than friendly waves between all who use it, however propelled and whether for work or pleasure. Long may it continue.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm

It never occurs to me that there is any relation between real people and the detritus on the lounge. Nick's attempt to categorise them as self-made moboists or anything else is, I'm afraid, a result of too much exposure in that cesspit.

I'm sorry you have met with a "lack of courtesy and consideration" from sailors. It may not give any consolation but I and other raggies can suffer the same lack of consideration, acknowledgement or even simple eye contact. It would be tempting to classify the offenders as plastic soapdishes with stackpacks or in-mast furling but I don't believe that to be true. Instead I think they belong to the same part of humanity that doesn't lift a finger of acknowledgement on single-track roads, jumps the queue at a bar and generally can be regarded as tossers. Luckily, in my world, they are outnumbered by the nice guys.

Oh, and if you come across me sailing in the Kyles of B my erratic course is hopefully more to do with the idiotic wind shifts than any desire to baulk other boats.

Old Troll
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Vega

Postby Old Troll » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Welcome to the forum and just in time to awaken us from our winter habit of slowly sinking into our cups until after the New Year is over. Methinks that there is plenty of searoom for us all on the Clyde and West Coast other than perhaps the Kyles Of Bute and Sound Of Mull where I have noticed a pronounced drop in collision reg standards by too many yachts. I have put this down to craft and crews being in very relaxed mood in sheltered waters and driving without due care and attention. Most to my knowledge acknowledge each other with a wave. Do not think it is wise to generalise regarding our fellow seagoers choice of boats or means of earning a crust be it bread or cake. Back to the Bowmore. :oldtroll:
Keep Her Afloat M'Boy

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 am

I've only had two 'close encounters' with mobos over the last season.

Both were only 'close' because we both held our course and passed close enough for a cheery wave and greeting.

One mobo was going slightly quicker than me as he overtook, the other slowed to generate virtually no wash.

When we've been out kayaking the mobos that have passed by have slowed right down so as not to generate wash which is very considerate of them, although we were actually hoping for some wash to surf.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:55 am

I don't think there's any correlation between unfriendly boaters (raggies or Mobos) and anything other than they're just rude people. Like all walks of life, good uns and bad yins.
I now remember (seeing we've gotten onto this topic) several ecounters with yachts that stare blankly back at a friendly wave, as if they're trying to figure out what it meant. One was looking at me though binoculars, and immediately looked away when I waved.

But by a long shot the majority of people on any water are a friendly lot.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”