So where are we all lifting out this year?

Forum for general cruising topics
Old Troll
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Vega

Re: So where are we all lifting out this year?

Postby Old Troll » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Back up the River Clyde as usual for the Old Troll to the Dalmarnock bridge to winter onshore and under cover within our bespoke dockyard at Rutherglen. We have access to electricity,water and a workshop all for a very modest annual membership plus 30 hours club work from each member. The downside is having to lower/step the mast on the way upriver prior to the city bridges. Some members choose to lower/hoist their own with a tabernacle system or else to the good old Rothesay dock to get a crane hoist. Otherwise nice to be independant and not pay expensive costs to keep a small yacht. :oldtroll:
Keep Her Afloat M'Boy

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Silkie wrote:Not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth but so far there have been several statements and no opinions. Why have you chosen Barcaldine, Ardfern or Craobh over the competition?

My options are anywhere within 25 miles or so of Dallens Bay excluding Dunstaffnage lbb. Ideally I would like the cheapest, most easily accessible yard (for all those jobs I'm probably not going to do over the winter) and the highest score in the friendliness and feelgood stakes.

Ah, you wanted reasons...

Well, I suppose laziness really, since I'm already at Craobh for the summer. In fact I've not much choice this winter since the yard is due to fix / replace a broken bit of boat which happened (somehow) during launching.

The yard at Craobh isn't too bad for shelter. They use props, not cradles, but claim never to have one fallen over yet. Masts come down - no discussion. Pub & showers are OK, chandler's is so-so, but the good one at Ardfern is a short drive.

Greyfisherman
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Etap 32s

Postby Greyfisherman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 pm

claymore wrote:Very good - would you run to paying for awee Hurley - theres a feeling we need tae get him out of his comfort zone....

Your obvious pecuniary concern for a good friend and his well being does you credit.

However whilst I may appear as a Yorkshire man of my acquaintance calls me "a southern effete wealthy yachtie" - sailing with him over the years, being brought up in Glasgow in the 50's and spending a lot of my working life with Aberdonians - I feel I would lose the respect of both him and my erstwhile colleague's, plus be a dagger through the heart of my dear Pater who often said "never a lender or borrower be"

So unfortunately, and it grieves me as I understand your kind offer is made to improve both your friends and my own feeling of well being - I have to decline your kind offer of helping your friend.

You on the other hand and we know size (in the yachting world) is a direct measure of a mans wealth - have a much bigger one than me (probably about 15/20%) and I'm sure your friend would feel it much more appropriate and keenly appreciate your helping him rather than some stranger.

Now - if it had been Liz.

My best wishes.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Hmm - well, thats one of the more reasoned responses I've been treated to.
Tell me about your friend Peter.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 am

We tried for a place at Creran Marine on the basis of a recommendation from friends but they were full. MRC at Barcaldine are slightly more expensive but not excessively so. I think price and shelter (leaving the mast up) were the key considerations, alongside not having to move the boat far from her mooring. This winter's refit will be fairly limited in scope, but for a future year we are thinking about putting her somewhere nearer home (Edinburgh) so maybe James Watt?
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Silkie is now on an MRC mooring at Barcaldine after a short motor round in the sunshine yesterday and using the excellent free wifi which makes a nice change after Dunstaffnage. My first time through the interesting entrance but fortunately didn't meet any of the larger denizens of what must be the most industrialised loch on the west coast.

No chandlery although Alba is only a few miles away and no pub although the Creagan Inn is close by but it did work out to be the cheapest option for Silkie. Not perhaps the friendliest yard on first impressions but it's early days yet and catering for yachts is clearly only a small part of the business. Love the plastic pontoon!
different colours made of tears

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Green Boat wrote:We tried for a place at Creran Marine on the basis of a recommendation from friends but they were full. MRC at Barcaldine are slightly more expensive but not excessively so. I think price and shelter (leaving the mast up) were the key considerations, alongside not having to move the boat far from her mooring. This winter's refit will be fairly limited in scope, but for a future year we are thinking about putting her somewhere nearer home (Edinburgh) so maybe James Watt?

James Watt Dock is reportedly full to the gunwales this year with no spare space on the hard or in the sheds. They started importuning me as to my intentions back about June so I wouldn't leave your decision making for 2014/15 too late.
One upside of JWD is, of course, that it ain't Port Edgar, an accolade it shares with everywhere else that isn't that rotting dump. However, PE will be under new management next year and things can only improve so perhaps you could consider a wee (warn the RNLI first!) autumn cruise back there. I can assure you that an early April trip back to the west from PE - Marisca regularly used to evade Eileen's monetary demands at midnight on 31st March - sets the season up nicely and every day in the west (after the misery of the North Sea) is unalloyed joy no matter the weather.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:53 am

Silkie wrote:Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Silkie is now on an MRC mooring at Barcaldine after a short motor round in the sunshine yesterday and using the excellent free wifi which makes a nice change after Dunstaffnage. My first time through the interesting entrance but fortunately didn't meet any of the larger denizens of what must be the most industrialised loch on the west coast.

No chandlery although Alba is only a few miles away and no pub although the Creagan Inn is close by but it did work out to be the cheapest option for Silkie. Not perhaps the friendliest yard on first impressions but it's early days yet and catering for yachts is clearly only a small part of the business. Love the plastic pontoon!

We were lifted out at dawn last Monday and the yard staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The ride on the travelhoist was a new experience for me. Interesting.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Yous Embra guys that are ogling James Watt may possibly like to consider Ardrossan. I believe they may have space at a competitive cost, just wear a vest when working - it is a bit open...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:35 pm

We're due to be lifted out at Balcardine Marine this week, having spent the last 5 winters at Ardrossan.

We were very happy at Ardrossan, could not find fault, good transport, an Asda, a brilliant yard foreman in Peter, good price etc etc, however, with one thing and another, we have just not had the time this year to take the boat down from Dallens Bay, even though we are now retired. Indeed we only managed two weekends sailing in the season. :?

The idea of wintering in Ardrossan was to ensure at least two decent trips delivering her to Linnhe Marine and back.

Now we will be guaranteed two 8 mile voyages.....

Roger

voyager35
Able Seaman
Boat Type: voyager 35

Postby voyager35 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 pm

I will be heading south from Linnhe marine next Sunday to Maryport marina.
Have spent the last two winters there on the hard , good friendly staff who look after the boats and an easy going attitude to working on the boat.
It is also the nearest place to home I can lift out and I get two interesting trips each season

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

In the water at ardrossan until mid march then out for a bottom scrub and clean up. Might do the boat as well......

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Barnacle removal can be painful Ian, perhaps you could try smearing some copper-ease over your nether regions for next season.
Lift- out tomorrow 0700 ... First boat of about 40 in TCC and the weather looks keech. Went to Aldi and got new little socky things for inside my rigger boots so hopefully I will be comfortable throughout the long hard day.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 pm

marisca wrote:
Green Boat wrote:We tried for a place at Creran Marine on the basis of a recommendation from friends but they were full. MRC at Barcaldine are slightly more expensive but not excessively so. I think price and shelter (leaving the mast up) were the key considerations, alongside not having to move the boat far from her mooring. This winter's refit will be fairly limited in scope, but for a future year we are thinking about putting her somewhere nearer home (Edinburgh) so maybe James Watt?

James Watt Dock is reportedly full to the gunwales this year with no spare space on the hard or in the sheds. They started importuning me as to my intentions back about June so I wouldn't leave your decision making for 2014/15 too late.
One upside of JWD is, of course, that it ain't Port Edgar, an accolade it shares with everywhere else that isn't that rotting dump. However, PE will be under new management next year and things can only improve so perhaps you could consider a wee (warn the RNLI first!) autumn cruise back there. I can assure you that an early April trip back to the west from PE - Marisca regularly used to evade Eileen's monetary demands at midnight on 31st March - sets the season up nicely and every day in the west (after the misery of the North Sea) is unalloyed joy no matter the weather.

Which route did you take? Caledonian Canal? or round the point? Did that take long?
I used to think that the annual trip from Oban area back to the Clyde was enough!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Always set off with round the top as plan A except when I had a free pass for the Caley, but always ended up going through the canal, at least twice in blizzards. The March and September trips were obviously far enough apart for an old man's memory to dull and the same crew joined me for quite a few of the trips. The canal bit is lovely and the trip down to the Clyde from Corpach is like meeting old friends and can, indeed, involve actually meeting old friends. It's the bit from PE to Clachnaharry that I can live without, the sitting off Aberdeen in a foul tide, the unfriendly grey water, the slop round Rattray Head, the continual foul tide along the Moray shore, and the total failure of the Chanonry dolphins to put in an appearance - somewhere between 32 and 40 hours (36 can get an ebb down the Forth and the flood up Inverness Firth) but, as I said, it makes every sail after it a joy.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”