Ally no mates!

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Ally no mates!

Postby marisca » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am

It is with a degree of trepidation that I write this, fear of opening myself to ridicule for desperation and worse fear of what the outcome could be. But anyway, here goes .........

The venerable and august yacht club of which I am a member holds a race every year on the last Saturday of August for a muckle great silver mug, presented umpteen years ago by the new Prince Doddie's great great grandfather. It is a simple handicap race (under CYCA) and I have been trying to win it since I was knee-high to a dwarf (or Ken McCulloch) - closest so far is 12 seconds.
This year there is an obvious conspiracy to stop me. Various events have robbed me of my usual crew - ECSW, Largs, Loch Lomond have all moved a week earlier than usual, one is swanning around in the med, another is presenting a paper in Beijing - (maybe it was something I said?). The effect is I am single-handed or at best have one non-race experienced crew.
So, do any of you fancy a one-off round the cans race on the afternoon of Saturday 31st August off Ashton on a non-foiling heavyweight cruising Contessa 32 (almost a WHYW winner if they hadn't DSQ'd me)? All crew positions are open - foredeck, mast, trimmers, pit, tactician, tea-maker; vague experience of spinnakers (even grey yins) an advantage; a degree of agility would be useful; bring your own defibrillator and lunch. There is even a BBQ and music afterwards. Transport from Edinburgh and all points in between will be provided.

PM me (to avoid ridicule) if you are interested, abuse and smart comments can stay on the open forum. Confidentiality is assured and no-one will ever know you've been racing unless you tell them.

Alastair

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Re: Ally no mates!

Postby Fingal » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Terrible timing. I have just agreed to crew a 707 on Saturday. Otherwise I would have definitely considered the possibility. I hope a crew can be assembled.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Pilgrim
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Rival 36

Postby Pilgrim » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Alastair ring me Friday night (30.8.13) and I'll see if I can lend you Mark or perhaps I might be allowed out to play! Another potential commitment means we can't promise further in advance, sorry.

Liz

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Where is Ashton?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:16 pm

mm5aho wrote:Where is Ashton?

Ashton is the posh end of Gourock where the RGYC is.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm

pm'ed.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:11 am

It's probably just as well that I'm working in Aberdeen that day. I might have been tempted to offer my services, but might have had to suffer rejection if 'Awol' had read this thread - http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?235396-How-many-Scuttlebutters&p=2494999#post2494999

If you get bored, then these links are the pertinent ones

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?235396-How-many-Scuttlebutters&p=2496817#post2496817

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?235396-How-many-Scuttlebutters&p=2504014#post2504014

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am

My desperation has abated but the trepidation coefficient has increased. Thanks to this forum and other Contessa sailors I now have a crew of 5 stalwarts volunteers - all experienced skippers and boat owners. What could possibly go wrong?

In a past life came into contact with fast jet pilots and we used to reckon that with any group of n pilots there would be at least n+1 (and usually more) different opinions on any topic. Is this going to be my fate on Saturday? I shall report back.

Ave forum, morituri te salutant

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm

To quote my late dad,

"This boat isn't run by committee", not that he was a "just do it" type, he was just letting us know who was responsible.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:24 pm

aquaplane wrote:"This boat isn't run by committee", not that he was a "just do it" type, he was just letting us know who was responsible.

Does that mean that he is now "Ally even less than No Mates"

What was the result?

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Gardenshed wrote:What was the result?

Skipper decided, we did what he said and stopped chuntering about it.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”