Some Random Photos

Postby ash » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:04 pm

A random selection of photos from our 2013 boat holiday

Look - it's an anchor ball!

MoK Lighthouse

Running OpenCPN

No - It isn't the Med

Growing a replacement telegraph pole

Trying to cope with the early morning swell at Craighouse - It only worked for a little while

Pesky kids - or maybe 'twas Silkie!

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Re: Some Random Photos

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Islay looks Lovely. It was the same when I was there in May.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:42 am

nice pix.
I ran the Visit my harbour software this year, linked to GPS, and found it really interesting. More detail available than my extensive paper charts, especially in harbours etc. Used a notebook, and under the spray dodger it sat quite comfortably, even with the toerail under the water.
Beautiful sunrise pic.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Postby Troonsometimes » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 pm

We had two nights at Craighouse at the end of July, the first night we got bounced about like mad but the second night we barely moved.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Islay looks Lovely. It was the same when I was there in May.

Yes, it was. It was misty when we left Ardminish Bay, Gigha but thickened so that we motored to Port Ellen in our own private bubble. We could hear the ferry's fog horn, initially off to starboard and gradually moving ahead. We answered but I doubt if she heard us. I was tempted to ask if they could see us on radar.

It cleared to a sunny afternoon, and we stayed a second day which was also sunny and we took the bus to Bowmore where we had an excellent lunch in the Bowmore Hotel after splashing some cash on a bottle of Tempest Batch No. 3 at the distillery shop.

Left in the morning during the small period between the ferry switching off her thrusters and leaving again, and before the start of the Port Ellen Fishing Boat Race, which has been reinstated for 2013.

Ash

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Troonsometimes wrote:We had two nights at Craighouse at the end of July, the first night we got bounced about like mad but the second night we barely moved.

We had two visits too.

On the first visit, when the photo was taken, we picked up the buoy nearest the jetty, so it was open to the swell. Still not sure why the swell was so bad, there had been very little wind for the previous few days. It was the day before the new moon, and HW was at 01.46 and the swell seemed to start at 04.00.

I got up and tried various ploys - tried to paddle the stern round - tried the rudder at various angles - all to no avail. The boat on the next buoy was leaving, so whilst he had his engine running to warm up, I ran in reverse to pull the stern round - it swung back as soon as I stopped. I got the bow pointing into the swell by having the line on the pickup buoy at its maximum length to the bow and bringing my back up line to the stern but it only worked for a short time before we swung and then had the main buoy banging against the hull. It did calm down eventually because I went back to my bunk for a while.

We returned a week later, picked up a buoy on the line nearest the shore, but furthest away from the jetty so that we might get some shelter from Goat Island. Didn't have any problem with swell.

BTW - what are the dynamics involved which makes a boat lie beam on to the swell in the absence of wind or tidal flow?

Ash

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:36 pm

ash wrote:
Troonsometimes wrote:We had two nights at Craighouse at the end of July, the first night we got bounced about like mad but the second night we barely moved.

We had two visits too.

On the first visit, when the photo was taken, we picked up the buoy nearest the jetty, so it was open to the swell. Still not sure why the swell was so bad, there had been very little wind for the previous few days. It was the day before the new moon, and HW was at 01.46 and the swell seemed to start at 04.00.

I got up and tried various ploys - tried to paddle the stern round - tried the rudder at various angles - all to no avail. The boat on the next buoy was leaving, so whilst he had his engine running to warm up, I ran in reverse to pull the stern round - it swung back as soon as I stopped. I got the bow pointing into the swell by having the line on the pickup buoy at its maximum length to the bow and bringing my back up line to the stern but it only worked for a short time before we swung and then had the main buoy banging against the hull. It did calm down eventually because I went back to my bunk for a while.

We returned a week later, picked up a buoy on the line nearest the shore, but furthest away from the jetty so that we might get some shelter from Goat Island. Didn't have any problem with swell.

BTW - what are the dynamics involved which makes a boat lie beam on to the swell in the absence of wind or tidal flow?

Ash

I chanced my arm asking the Brodick to Campbeltown ferry if he was picking me up on radar while he was 2-3mile from me, he replied that I was painting a clear picture :thumbsup: That,s a nicer reply than swmbo gives! :(
C_W

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Postby Troonsometimes » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 pm

We were on the mooring nearest the jetty both nights and when the swell was in full swing the other boats appeared to be moving as much as us.
Tried to post a photo of Craighouse in the sunshine but seem to have lost the ability. Watch this space....

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Postby Troonsometimes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:05 am

It worked this time.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 am

That looks gorgeous. It can't have been much different when we were there, we had to buy cold drinks and sit out in the Hotel garden for some reason that evades me at the moment.
Chiron ,

We had a bit of rain the following morning but it cleared up by the time the tide was right to set off.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:24 pm

aquaplane wrote:That looks gorgeous. It can't have been much different when we were there, we had to buy cold drinks and sit out in the Hotel garden for some reason that evades me at the moment.

We must have stopped to take a photo while you bought the drinks!

Ash

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Gosh! I was on Jura at about the same time - it was really warm too! What a coincidence
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks Ash, nice pics.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”