Help for a Foxhound far from home

Forum for general cruising topics
GNATy Boh
Midshipman
Boat Type: Foxhound 24

Help for a Foxhound far from home

Postby GNATy Boh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:03 am

A few weeks ago I purchased a Foxhound 24 here in Baltimore Maryland, she has been neglected and interior is a complete refit, but overall she is still a very a sound boat,. My question is first and foremost where do I find her Hull number on the boat, I have looked everywhere I can think of? The paperwork lists only 11 digits and the user insists there should be 12.

After that if anyone knows how foxhounds ended up on this side of the pond ( she apparently had a sister ship in Annapolis maryland) or are willing to share any tips or original documentation I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for your help

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Re: Help for a Foxhound far from home

Postby Rowana » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 am

Don't know the Foxhound personally, but I know it was an Uffa Fox design.

Someone here may be able to give you more information - http://www.uffafox.com/

Best of luck with the refit.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:26 am

John Copeland (Copeland Marine) built them in Cowes, along with the Foxterrier, Foxcub and Aphrodite 101, flying fifteens and a range of other boats. Copeland Marine was sold in the 80's to Souters of Cowes (?) and the moulds dispersed/sold to others. I don't know if John Copeland is still around but if you are trying to find him to get to know about the boats, then some of the Cowes based businesses (e.g. Ratesy Sailmakers) might be able to help.
He built a lot of flying Fifteens and there was a time when his boats were the ones to have if you wanted to win. There may be some in the FFifteen class who know what happened to John or who have contacts with him and from that, can help you find out about the boat.
Uffa Fox died in 1972 and from the website, the Foxhound was actually designed by Tony Dixon. He may be the "Dixon" in Readman, Whitely Dixon (http://www.rwd.co.uk/home) quite a distance further up market from the foxhound.
Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:52 pm

My mate has a Foxhound 24 bilge keeler in immaculate condition.
A few years ago a member of another forum emailed me a copy of the original brochure for the FH.
Not sure if I still have it somewhere, but my mate may have the print I gave him.
His is a great boat, nice layout and quite seaworthy, and fast under engine,(outboard).
I did read somewhere that some naval club down south of England race them, but dont have any details on that.
C_W

PS My mates boat had some cracks on the inner hull keel floors/knees, discovered during insurance survey, I repaired them for him.
They were probably caused by one of the keels striking bottom.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”