This time of the year

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

This time of the year

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Grinding inexorably to the end of my final full Academic Year. The sun is shining outside, people are posting their adventures on the falorums - bet it pishes doon all next spring and summer.
Planning to retire at Easter so 10 more paydays
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: This time of the year

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:33 pm

It wont, it will be glorious. It may take a wee bit of getting used to, but it will still be sunny.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:54 pm

claymore wrote:Grinding inexorably to the end of my final full Academic Year. The sun is shining outside, people are posting their adventures on the falorums - bet it pishes doon all next spring and summer.

That's close to my plan as well for next year, depending on pension fund performance and annuity rates over the next year. The idea of starting jobs on the boat and finishing them at my own pace is intoxicatiing. No half measures, boxes of tools taken home , lack of time to find the right parts.. I can live at a lighter financial pace than I do now :) If I get bored I can always cast off and head off somewhere interesting.. :)

decent weather would help!

Graeme

No puns on half measures and intoxication please!!

Ariel
Able Seaman

Postby Ariel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 pm

" Grinding inexorably to the end of the end of my final full Academic Year. ..........Planning to retire at Easter ......"

Either you are a teacher or you have the same career ambitions as my teenage sons!

It's next Easter for me too! I'm not taking any chances with the weather, though. I am planning something Mediterranean.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Well planned gentlemen. Don't get sucked back into the rat-race again by sirens waving blank cheques - your bits may have started to crumble already AND you will be soooo busy achieving very little it will be exhausting.
Probably you will soon be looking to 'take on a boy' in order to hit the spring launch date as well as having a tidy garden.
It's magic. I still can't believe I'm being paid for going so slow... - since '98!
As for the weather, what you see is what you take. Just leave the crap for the guys on a schedule.
The Second Book of Jedi teaches us that when wind and rain offend the body, "tether the boat and use the buspass look-you"
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Well I retired years ago & get even less time on the boat than ever. Too many family commitments now as the beggars think I have nowt else to do but help them out . . .

It is nice to be able to help & to see the G-kids, but it would also be nice to have a bit more me time too.

Ariel
Able Seaman

Postby Ariel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Unfortunately, this is not really a retirement for me. More like an open ended gap year that I have been promising myself for the last 15 years. The date has always been set as Easter 2014. 50th Birthday. Various bairns dispatched up chimneys and down mines. Plastic timepiece for long service from the Megacorp.

The latest development is that my employers have decided that I am one cog too many for the capitalist machine and have kindly offered me a wedge of cash to spend my days googling sailing web sites elsewhere. So, here I am, with a few months to spend squandering my unexpected windfall on buying and fitting out my Med yacht.

I am fully expecting to be woken up from this dream by a runaway bus driving through my bedroom wall. Or maybe, nice things do happen to lazy undeserving people, after all!

Rav.

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Please enjoy the well deserved end to a career, as I am a #few# years shy of the date yet, but I look forward to it so much. I need the encouragement....

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Ariel wrote:Unfortunately, this is not really a retirement for me. More like an open ended gap year that I have been promising myself for the last 15 years. The date has always been set as Easter 2014. 50th Birthday. Various bairns dispatched up chimneys and down mines. Plastic timepiece for long service from the Megacorp.

The latest development is that my employers have decided that I am one cog too many for the capitalist machine and have kindly offered me a wedge of cash to spend my days googling sailing web sites elsewhere. So, here I am, with a few months to spend squandering my unexpected windfall on buying and fitting out my Med yacht.

I am fully expecting to be woken up from this dream by a runaway bus driving through my bedroom wall. Or maybe, nice things do happen to lazy undeserving people, after all!

Rav.

And here's me at 52 just after starting a new job/career.
No grandweans and 34 days paid annual leave, a 30hr week, and off 2 wk ends in 4. great :D
C_W

Ariel
Able Seaman

Postby Ariel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Clyde_Wanderer, what's the new career? Sounds like you have made a good change.

I will need to pick up the career strings in a few years after my 'inadvisable adventure' and it is reassuring to hear that there is an alternative to chasing pigeons round the town square and swearing at passers by.

Mind, that pretty much amounts to what the management at my current company do and they get pretty well paid for it!

Rav.

Oliver
Midshipman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson Gaff Ketch

Postby Oliver » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:36 am

claymore wrote:Grinding inexorably to the end of my final full Academic Year. The sun is shining outside, people are posting their adventures on the falorums - bet it pishes doon all next spring and summer.

I have found retirement a difficult thing.

In fact I've already retired twice - and I still have a job

This lot say I have to retire (again) in 16 months time - don't know if I'll manage it this time.

Really don't know if I can manage SWMBO 24/7!

Return to “Shooting the breeze”