Page 1 of 1

Machrihanish

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm
by Rowana
We spent our honeymoon in a cottage near Machrihanish, and I seem to remember that there was a road which crossed the runway at the airport. It was controlled by trafffic lights, and you actually drove along the runway, or it may have been a taxiway, for about 100 yards or so.

Tell me my memory isn't playing tricks on me!

Anyone know for definite?

This is 30 years ago, mind - And we did have other things on our mind :oops: :oops:

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 pm
by sahona
Doesn't look like it from Google earth. Are you sure you've not been in Prestwick, perhaps for one of those memorable weekends?
I remember the road crossing the runway in the '50s

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 am
by Rowana
Definitely Machrihanish. I've had a look on google earth as well, but didn't see it. I'd need an image or map from the 70's to be sure.

I just wondered if anyone remembered.

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 am
by MrMcP
Mrs McP, who hails from there, was talking last night about how she had her first driving experiences on the runway at Machrihanish so it seems likely there was a road - this would have been 25yrs ago or thereabouts. I'll ask her later.

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:44 pm
by wully
The 'short cut' road loops round the east end of the runway now.

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 pm
by Rowana
MrMcP wrote:Mrs McP, who hails from there, was talking last night about how she had her first driving experiences on the runway at Machrihanish so it seems likely there was a road - this would have been 25yrs ago or thereabouts. I'll ask her later.


What did she say? Is my memory still good, or am I loosing my marbles?

wully wrote:The 'short cut' road loops round the east end of the runway now.


You say "Now" but did it cross the rumway at one time.
I've tried looking at old maps on the NLS website, but can't see anything.

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 pm
by MrMcP
Rowana wrote:What did she say? Is my memory still good, or am I loosing my marbles?

You're correct - the terminal used to be at the beach end of the runway, and to get to it you did indeed cross the runway under lights control. So not losing it at all, good memory. The old road was closed when the terminal moved and is blocked off from use now.

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:38 am
by Rowana
MrMcP wrote:
Rowana wrote:What did she say? Is my memory still good, or am I loosing my marbles?

You're correct - the terminal used to be at the beach end of the runway, and to get to it you did indeed cross the runway under lights control. So not losing it at all, good memory. The old road was closed when the terminal moved and is blocked off from use now.



Thanks for that! I'm glad my memory is still (sort of) working!

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:45 pm
by jimsharp
I grew up in Campbeltown, and the road did used to cross the runway at the end near the civilian terminal, couldn't say if it still does. Used to love watching the planes take off in front of the cars.

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:27 pm
by puddock
Rowana wrote:
MrMcP wrote:
Rowana wrote:What did she say? Is my memory still good, or am I loosing my marbles?

You're correct - the terminal used to be at the beach end of the runway, and to get to it you did indeed cross the runway under lights control. So not losing it at all, good memory. The old road was closed when the terminal moved and is blocked off from use now.



Thanks for that! I'm glad my memory is still (sort of) working!


I hope that's not your only memory of your honeymoon Jim :shock: !!!

Re: Machrihanish

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 pm
by Bodach na mara
Yes there was a road across the runway and I don't remember any lights controlling it. Along with the family, we were on our way back from the sands at Westport to Carradale and saw a sign for Machrihanish on a road to the right. Not being in a hurry, I decided to take it and found myself about to cross the runway when a Phantom or something shot past at about 160 mph. On the insistance of the family, a quick U-turn was executed.