Any sailmaker recommendations or warnings?

Forum for general cruising topics
PaulJS
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Mayfly dinghy

Any sailmaker recommendations or warnings?

Postby PaulJS » Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi,

I've just received some online estimates for a new set of sails for my recently acquired MacWester Wight ketch which vary between just under 2 thousand and almost 3 thousand pounds.

I'm reasonably happy that these are fair prices, but without prejudicing opinion by naming the companies I would appreciate any recommendations or warnings from people who've bought sails from UK based sailmakers.

As always, any advice greatly appreciated.

Paul

nealsett
Able Seaman

Re: Any sailmaker recommendations or warnings?

Postby nealsett » Fri May 24, 2013 8:29 am

Swift Sails have just done a main and genoa for my Maxi 84 based at Craobh. Cost around £1200 for both. Included foam luff and uv protect for furling genoa, sail numbers, battened main with full top batten, reefs, sail bags, ties and tell tails. I was a bit worried what we would get for the price.However,very impressed with quality and finish. 2 year guarantee. I was told they were fabricated in S.Africa with the final build at Swift Sails in Plymouth.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri May 24, 2013 3:20 pm

In the early winter, had the genoa fixed. It was in good shape except the UV strip and some slight damage at the clew.
Nicholson Hughes (Roseneath) did a very good job at a reasonable price. Service good too, in that they have a drop box at Rhu.
Good communications, but a little slow to invoice!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

PaulJS
Able Seaman

Postby PaulJS » Sat May 25, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks very much.
It seems that the quotes I've received are in the right ball park.
I'll see if I can access Swift Sails website out here. (I'm working through my company's internet and lots of sites are blocked)
I was really hoping someone would be able to give comments such as "highly recommended" or "don't touch them with a barge-pole", but as I didn't want to name specific sailmakers I guess I wasn't giving you all much info to go on!

Paul

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Sat May 25, 2013 1:53 pm

I was delighted with my Owen sails and the process of spec, design, fitting and the follow up so a call to Chris (now working independently of the loft) or Diana, would be my starting point.

zander lee
Able Seaman
Boat Type: hurley 22

Postby zander lee » Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi ,
Ive just had a new mainsail made by Nicolson Hughes in Rosneath, although much smaller than your's and less costly. The company were very reliable, friendly, and produced the goods exactly when they said they would.
Z

Dougie the Mate
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Westerley Centaur

Postby Dougie the Mate » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 am

I have had work done by Nicholson Hughes in recent years - repairs and cleaning - excellent work at reasonable prices with great service. On my recommendation my friend got a new genoa made by them for a Virgo Voyager and he was more than impressed by the quality and the price.

:wink:
We, in dreams, behold the Hebrides

PaulJS
Able Seaman

Postby PaulJS » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

That's two recommendations for Nicholson Hughes. I just tried to access their website, but unfortunately it's one of many that is blocked out here so I'll give them a shout when I get home in 2 weeks.

Thanks again to everyone.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”