Today Is a Sad Day....

Forum for general cruising topics
Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Today Is a Sad Day....

Postby Aja » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

My Mum and Dad bought Lassiette in 1971 and she remained as part of the family for the following 42 years giving us lots of fun whether a quick day sail, away for the weekend or for the traditional two-weeks soaking up the west coast during Glasgow's Fair Fortnight.

How we all managed away for 2 weeks was always fraught. Mum, Dad and three sons (my sister just didn't want to know) all fighting for a 'shot' of the tiller. We sometimes got scared witless (spelled with a 'sh') by and large had many a brilliant sail. I can well remember leaving Plockton one morning and dropping my Dad off at Dunbeg (well, well before Dunstaffnage was thought of...) in the evening to get the bus back to Glasgow for work next day....

... or sitting in Wreck Bay in the Kyles waiting for my Mum to come down from Glasgow after night shift as a nurse via Rothesay and a taxi to Rubodach ....

She left McAllister's yard (or Sandpoint Marina for the youngsters) by low loader today heading for a new life back on the East coast at Newcastle not far from where we bought her in Blyth all those years ago. She just got too much for my Mum and Dad at 89.

She had gone by the time I got there. I rather think I'll miss her.

Donald

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Today Is a Sad Day....

Postby Silkie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 pm

A sad day indeed but she'll live on in the collective family memory.
different colours made of tears

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Its a credit to your mum and dad they kept her all those years.
Be thankful they had so many years enjoyment from her and that you were part of that.
Long may they and the boat live.
C_W

PS what is she?

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm sorry for your loss, as they say on CSI.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 pm

C_W

She is a Robert Clark 'Inverie' class of which eight were built - and of which seven are still about. Keel was laid in 1939 built not launched 'till 1947. She was first registered in 1949.

Just looking at her R.O.R.C Certificate of Rating issued in 1957 with a rating of 21.84 feet/T.C.F. .6673/B.S.F. of 770.7 s.p.m*.

Anyone any idea if she was competetive or not? We raced her under CYCA at 21.5 mins/hr which is against a T.C.F of .712 / 17.31 mins/hr for our Moody 346?

*Anyone any ideas on s.p.m.?
Donald

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm

I sincerely hope the boat will be kept and used in a similar manner to that of the first 42 years. That way, when you see it out on the water, you will have fair memories.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Stacks of good memories Donald, no need for sadness. Look forward!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 pm

aquaplane wrote:I'm sorry for your loss, as they say on CSI.

Oh great - Aquaplane's started getting all misty-eyed at the pictures of boats sailing off into the sunset - again.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 am

Aja wrote:*Anyone any ideas on s.p.m.?
Donald

I'm sure that marisca will confirm but my googling suggests that a BSF rating is in ' seconds per mile'

See http://forum.amicidellavela.it/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35421 - You might need to copy it into your browser so that you get the option to translate.

BSF
La maggiore importanza di questo numero si nota The increased importance of this issue can be seen
già da un primo sguardo al certificato: esso è already a first look at the certificate: it is
infatti posto in alto in dimensione maggiore in fact at the top in greatest dimension
rispetto a tutto il resto, molto in risalto. than all the rest, very stressed.
L'IRC consente quindi di calcolare i tempi The IRC allows then to calculate the time
compensati in 2 modi, utilizzando 2 sistemi molto compensated in two ways, using two systems are very
diversi. different. Il più comune, e chiaro a tutti, è il sistema The most common and obvious to all, is the system
di compensi a BSF. compensation in BSF. Il BSF rappresenta infatti The BSF represents
l'abbuono per una barca in secondi per miglio. the rebate for a boat in seconds per mile.
Moltiplicando quindi il BSF per la lunghezza del Then multiplying the BSF for the length of the
percorso di regata si ottiene l'abbuono sul tempo race course, you get the rebate on time
reale. real. Sottraendo questo abbuono al tempo reale si Subtracting this rebate to Real-time
ottiene il tempo compensato di ogni barca e get the time offset of each boat and
confrontando infine i tempi compensati si Finally, by comparing the corrected time is
formano le classifiche. make the charts.
Tempo Compensato = Tempo Reale – Abbuono Corrected Time = Real Time - Rebate
con with
Abbuono = BSF x Lungh. BSF rebate = x length. Percorso in miglia Path in miles
Questo sistema NON TIENE CONTO This system DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT
ASSOLUTAMENTE DELLE CONDIZIONI ABSOLUTELY THE CONDITIONS
METEO ed è VINCOLATO ALLA WEATHER and is BOUND TO
PRECISIONE CON CUI VIENE MISURATO IL ACCURACY WITH WHICH IS MEASURED THE
CAMPO DI REGATA. RACE COURSE. Esempio: Example:
L'imbarcazione “BLU” con TCC 1,016, e quindi The boat "BLUE" with TCC 1.016, and then
con BSF 630,0, corre una regata di 8 miglia with BSF 630.0, runs a race 8 miles
nautiche (teoricamente esatte) impiegando un Nautical (theoretically exact) using a
tempo reale di 1 ora e 30 minuti. real time of 1 hour and 30 minutes. Il suo abbuono Its remit
sarà quindi di 630 x 8 = 5040 secondi, pari a 1 ora will then be of 630 x 8 = 5040/2, equal to 1 hour
e 24 minuti. and 24 minutes. Il suo tempo compensato sarà di His handicap will be
conseguenza di 1:30:00 (tempo reale) – 1:24:00 consequence of 1:30:00 (Real-time) - 1:24:00
(abbuono) = 6 minuti (tempo compensato). (Rebate) = 6 minutes (elapsed time).

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:43 am

Wonderful story, wonderful pic, thanks for sharing both.

What a great place to grow up.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am

ash wrote:I'm sure that marisca will confirm but my googling suggests that a BSF rating is in ' seconds per mile'

Nae idea. Takes me all my time to understand CYCA handicaps.

NorthSea91
Midshipman
Boat Type: Robert Clarke Inverie Class

Postby NorthSea91 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi guys,
Sorry for bringing up such an old thread but thought you guys, and particularly Donald, might be interested in whats going on with Lassiette at present.
I bought her last February, having seen her on the hard up at Dumbarton and immediately falling in love with this excellent boat. After a little panic in the slings at Royal Quays before she 'took up', she spent the summer months based at St. Peters Basin on the Tyne and venturing out into the north Sea, mainly for picnics off the beach at Tynemouth and South Shields while I got to grips with her.
Since March this year she has been back on the hard while I've been away at sea, and now she's getting ready to get on another low loader to the Thames estuary for some work which is completely beyond my levels of impracticality! I was fortunate enough in meeting one of the staff at RQ who owned and rebuilt her sister Finora (?) some time ago. It's a small world. Even more surprising, her original owner back in the forties lived about 300 yards from the house I lived in when I took ownership of her.....
She's been a real delight to sail this past year and a half; goes like a train and so tactile through the tiller; indeed with a bit of help from the tide we came down the Tyne at eight knots on one occasion.
Alas we were the source of much mirth warping ourselves backwards out of St. Peters, but hey, she was never designed to be at her best going astern under engine!

Anyway, heres a picture of her taken on Sunday, getting ready to have her rig unstepped.

All the Best
Andy.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 am

What a great first post Andy.

Welcome aboard.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red