Scenario II

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Scenario II

Postby marisca » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm

ash wrote:Well, that was lucky! - You didn't tell us about Herta!
Did you know that they were there? Do you have AIS?
I wonder what suggestions would have came from the coastie?
I'm glad to hear that you didn't seriously consider climbing into the life raft!
Ash

No idea she was there and the visibility was a bit crap. The idea of someone coming to my aid never occurred to me or that anyone else was monitoring Ch67. I reckon I must have been nice to someone (not my normal style) and karma was on my side for once. Was I the 1st vessel out of Fraserburgh happy to see a fishery protection vessel on an intercept?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Happy Outcome.
I used to work in outdoor centres and came unstuck a few times 'helping' colleagues on staff development sessions. I was an average paddler and once went into a stopper to assist a female colleague who had a perfect bottom. She was a far better paddler than I and all I did was make a complete chump of myself and nearly drowned into the bargain. It does pay to think things through.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 pm

I lost the Avon while towing on a crossing from Sanda to Rathlin.
The patch on the bow with the D ring had pulled clean off.
Two lessons learned... 1. don't tow the dink on proper trips; 2. if you do tow use a bridle linking the bow D ring to the side-rope fixing points.
By the time the dinghy was captured the tide had turned and I had to bash through the McDonnell Race.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Gordonmc wrote:I lost the Avon while towing on a crossing from Sanda to Rathlin.
The patch on the bow with the D ring had pulled clean off.
Two lessons learned... 1. don't tow the dink on proper trips; 2. if you do tow use a bridle linking the bow D ring to the side-rope fixing points.
By the time the dinghy was captured the tide had turned and I had to bash through the McDonnell Race.

Hope you dident run down the Children of Lirr.
C_W

Return to “Shooting the breeze”