Scenario II

Forum for general cruising topics
User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Scenario II

Postby marisca » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 am

I liked Claymore's "What now, Skip" post so here's one from my repertoire, only the facts have been changed to protect the guilty.

Out of Fraserburgh singlehanded, 'cos the crew had deserted (something about launching his own boat), planning to overnight at Lossiemouth and hence to Clachnaharry - motoring in a flat calm but with a NW5 later in the forecast. Wind gradually rose until it was gusting in the upper 30s and, surprisingly, was actually from the NW. By now I'm about half way to Lossie, the boat is down to storm jib and triple-reefed main but is tramping along quite nicely and heading and progress are comfortable for hitting Lossie while there's still enough water to get in. Sea is getting a bit big but quite long until 2 larger than the rest and closer together waves appear. Boat rises over the 1st and then buries her bow into the 2nd and does her impression of a diving submarine. When I look up from cowering behind the sprayhood, which is amazingly still standing, I see the liferaft, which had been in its cradle on the coachroof in front of the mast, floating past. I banged the helm over to lie hove-to and gingerly started to pull the box in on the painter. Of course, it inflated immediately and the right way up at that.
So there I am about 3 miles north of Cullen, hove-to and drifting due east at about 2kts with a 6-man ISO liferaft 10m downwind on the end of its painter. Now what?

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5702
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Scenario II

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm

.
I have successfully recovered an inflateable dinghy in rough conditions. However, the lr will have a lot more windage and is bigger and more cumbersone to get on board, so that is probably a non-starter. I would imagine there were a few moments of self-recrimination as you thought of other ways you might have recovered the liferaft other than pulling on the inflation painter!

I would initially at least see if I could still make progress towing such an effective drogue . . . but in this wind I would think it highly unlikely. Deflating via the pressure release valves would also be a non-starter I suspect.

Most probably though you are going to have to sacrifice the liferaft . . . cut it free and it might blow ashore undamaged. Oh, and if you are doing this make sure you call the CG to let them know. If you are lucky they might even decide the best thing is to recover it for you to avoid any false alarms.

(Of course, if you sink in the next hour or so you will be cursing yourself :doh! )
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Mark
Old Salt
Posts: 887
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Re: Scenario II

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:40 pm

marisca wrote:I liked Claymore's "What now, Skip" post so here's one from my repertoire, only the facts have been changed to protect the guilty.

Out of Fraserburgh singlehanded, 'cos the crew had deserted (something about launching his own boat), planning to overnight at Lossiemouth and hence to Clachnaharry - motoring in a flat calm but with a NW5 later in the forecast. Wind gradually rose until it was gusting in the upper 30s and, surprisingly, was actually from the NW. By now I'm about half way to Lossie, the boat is down to storm jib and triple-reefed main but is tramping along quite nicely and heading and progress are comfortable for hitting Lossie while there's still enough water to get in. Sea is getting a bit big but quite long until 2 larger than the rest and closer together waves appear. Boat rises over the 1st and then buries her bow into the 2nd and does her impression of a diving submarine. When I look up from cowering behind the sprayhood, which is amazingly still standing, I see the liferaft, which had been in its cradle on the coachroof in front of the mast, floating past. I banged the helm over to lie hove-to and gingerly started to pull the box in on the painter. Of course, it inflated immediately and the right way up at that.
So there I am about 3 miles north of Cullen, hove-to and drifting due east at about 2kts with a 6-man ISO liferaft 10m downwind on the end of its painter. Now what?


Was your engine man enough to motor back to the Raft against the weather? If so motor back, try to get a halyward round a webbing strong point and winch it on board, then carry on with it partially inflated. This is very easy to type and I would guess very hard to achieve without damage to your back, limbs and the liferaft, but I can't think of anything else except calling a nearby fishing boat with some kind of davit/crane arangement in the hope they take pity and come and get it for you.

I think this is the best WNS I've read, can't wait to hear what you actually did.

User avatar
sahona
Admiral of the White
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore
Location: Clyde

Re: Scenario II

Postby sahona » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:57 pm

I think I'd stab it to death, sink it, then call the CG and my insurance.
Reason being - I am too old to take on a job of that magnitude and still manage the boat single-handed.
Where TF do you put an inflated liferaft on deck while hove-to in a near gale? Doesn't bear thinking about.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland

Re: Scenario II

Postby ash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Is there any future value in a life raft after it has been inflated in the sea?

I would imagine that they inflate it during the servicing but that is a clean, dry environment with the facility to vacuum it down again.

If a raft has been used in anger, can it be cleaned, dried, and repacked? I wouldn't have thought that that was a very frequent requirement so maybe not.

If it has any drogue or water ballast facility then you wouldn't be able to tow it upright. Maybe you could get a line around the top point of the shelter and tie it so that it was close to the pushpit and tow the raft on its side.

I think that it would have to be deflated, very likely by puncturing, and the remnants either hauled aboard or sunk, depending on the monetary value V risk ratio.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Scenario II

Postby marisca » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Nick wrote:.
I would imagine there were a few moments of self-recrimination as you thought of other ways you might have recovered the liferaft other than pulling on the inflation painter!


Not one! It took about 3 seconds for the raft to reach the end of its tether and I suspect from the wash it was making as I tacked the firing process had already started before I got round to trying to pull it in. It was just teasing me by letting me think I might get away with it.

Keep the solutions coming and I will disclose my solution sometime tomorrow after a rugby game or two.

User avatar
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 am
Boat Type: Rival 41C
Location: Hogganfield Loch

Re: Scenario II

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Get to leeward of the raft, then come up with a way of allowing it to flip up in the wind and get pressed into the side. Then flip over onto the boat. I have no idea how to get it to flip up but life rafts, especially larger ones are relatively unstable when empty.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

User avatar
Fingal
Old Salt
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:12 pm
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Scenario II

Postby Fingal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:47 am

I would immediately deploy a Manson or Spade anchor.

P.S. I think you meant thence to Clachnaharry?
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Scenario II

Postby marisca » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Green Boat wrote:I would immediately deploy a Manson or Spade anchor.

P.S. I think you meant thence to Clachnaharry?


Chambers gives
hence adverb
    1 for this reason or cause.
    2 from this time onwards.
    3 old use from this place or origin.
I would have thought you, given your chronologically, follicularly, and gravitationally challenged state, would have appreciated the old definition. I have to agree thence would have been more apposite.

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1401
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Scenario II

Postby marisca » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 pm

So Wales are unbeaten ........

Now where was I? Oh yes, lying hove-to in the Moray Firth drifting slowly towards Norway with a liferaft inflated on the end of its painter. I pulled the thing in and identified 3 options - climb on board and deflate it; stab it with my steely knife; let it go. The first was just plain stupid and would leave me with the same problem as the second of what to do with the remains. The third seemed the best bet. I called Aberdeen CG, 'cos I thought they should be warned, but instead of saying what I was going to do, I explained my situation and asked their advice. The call was a bit surreal - I repeated my Lat/Long 3 times and they finally got it when I said 3 miles north of Cullen; then they had obviously gone on the same course as Green Boat 'cos having an anchor down seemed important - I was in ~40m! - then I admitted I had my lifejacket on. As for the liferaft, I was put on hold while they contemplated. Then another voice came on - the FPV Herta was a mere 10 miles away and would be with me in about 30 minutes with their rib. Sure enough they steamed in out of the murk, launched 4 large gentlemen in their rib and came to my aid, hoiked the raft on board, deflated it, declined a cup of tea and that was that. Another wee chat on the vhf and they offered to drop it off at Cosalts in Leith when their patrol was done.

By now I was having doubts about my ability to get to Lossie before the water ran out. Whitehills seemed attractive and the harbour-master assured me that entry was possible despite the swell - that was by mobile phone, no answer to vhf. So that was that.

Other thoughts:-
Cosalt washed and repacked the liferaft but the big problem was the loss of half the box. Seago eventually found me a used one otherwise the cost was getting close to a new raft.
Contessas lie hove-to rather nicely. The vortices curling off the keel were obvious and the water to windward reminded me of the Sound of Luing with the tide flowing - flat and swirly. The breaking waves just dissipated well to windward and I sat wallowing awaiting rescue.

... and now to the sound of La Marsellaise .... allez les bleus!

User avatar
mm5aho
Old Salt
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 pm
Boat Type: Rival 32
Location: West Lothian
Contact:

Re: Scenario II

Postby mm5aho » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 pm

I was coming out of Loch Sunnart one day. It was lowing a bit in there, but noting like how much it was blowing out into the Sound of Mull!
About adjacent to that rock (whose name I forget), between it and the western tip of the point to east of Sunnart, the inflatable dinghy painter broke. We had been trailing it. (perhaps if we'd realised the hooley out there we'd have deflated and stowed it).
We had genoa and main up as we came out, and had just dropped the main altogether intending to sail on Genoa across to Tobermory. Wind was from just off the direction.
So, dinghy was blowing away to stern, rapidly.
started engine, furled the genoa, and ran with the wind after the dinghy towards the shore.

We did catch it up, and boathooked it, and hauled it up the side under the boom and tied it down. Later on a mooring, we deflated it and sorted it out, but had thought it lost. Amazing how fast it sailed without sails.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

User avatar
sahona
Admiral of the White
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore
Location: Clyde

Re: Scenario II

Postby sahona » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 am

Having davits, we don't tow, but I was wondering where the painter snapped - at the dinghy or the cleat/fairlead?
If it's the cleat end that tends to go,(visitors knots?) perhaps there's a case for having a wee cloth drogue half-way up the painter?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

User avatar
mm5aho
Old Salt
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 pm
Boat Type: Rival 32
Location: West Lothian
Contact:

Re: Scenario II

Postby mm5aho » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:31 pm

The painter snapped right at the dinghy, leaving the rest trailing. (great prop fouler).
That painter had only done about 15 years, far too early to fail!!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

User avatar
sahona
Admiral of the White
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore
Location: Clyde

Re: Scenario II

Postby sahona » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Post Office draw-cord isn't what it used to be...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland

Re: Scenario II

Postby ash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 pm

marisca wrote: As for the liferaft, I was put on hold while they contemplated. Then another voice came on - the FPV Herta was a mere 10 miles away and would be with me in about 30 minutes with their rib. Sure enough they steamed in out of the murk, launched 4 large gentlemen in their rib and came to my aid, hoiked the raft on board, deflated it, declined a cup of tea and that was that. Another wee chat on the vhf and they offered to drop it off at Cosalts in Leith when their patrol was done.

Well, that was lucky! - You didn't tell us about Herta!

Did you know that they were there? Do you have AIS?

I wonder what suggestions would have came from the coastie?

I'm glad to hear that you didn't seriously consider climbing into the life raft!

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold


Return to “Shooting the breeze”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests