The Scenario

Forum for general cruising topics
User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

The Scenario

Postby claymore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:48 am

You are sailing Claymore, a 30ft long keeled Motorsailor. Leaving Tobermory to head back to Ardfern, Forecast wind is North East 3-4 going 5-7. Month of July.
Anticipating a reach down the Sound of Mull you set full main and Genny. With Salen abeam the wind is firmly on the nose so its a beat down to Craignure and then the wind goes left, increases and frees you back onto the anticipated reach. Once clear of Duart the wind picks up to 30kts straight from Fort William and whilst coping, you are clearly overcanvassed with the boat doing 6.5 to 7 knots and the gusts are putting considerable strain on the wheel steering . The other issue at the back of your mind is that Pladda and Dorus Mor don't open until around 18:30 - it is now 13:00. Attempting to furl the Genoa, it jams leaving about 3/4 of the sail set.You have 3 or 4 goes at sorting it out, there is a knot on the furler and 1/4 reefed is the best you can do - this is too much sail for the conditions which seem to be strengthening
What are the options?
This happened to myself and Muzzy this summer, just wondering what others might have done.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: The Scenario

Postby marisca » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

I'm afraid my sail solution involves putting on something more substantial than carpet slippers and actually leaving the sanctuary of the greenhouse, or you could send the crew ......

Unroll genny fully and drop the thing onto the deck - or - faff around tacking/gybing untying and tying sheets until it is fully wrapped round forestay. That's got rid of the sail, now about all your spare time - the Troosers will be open so just head across and lose a few hours there. If you are wise you will sort out the furling line and rehoist the sail before trecking over the hill. There may not be the enthusiasm or inclination after returning.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:59 pm
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger
Location: 13:44:00N 100:32:00E

Re: The Scenario

Postby Gardenshed » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Plan A:
open your copy of "How to become a RYA yachtmaster in 3 easy payments/lessons" and find the correct chapter

Plan B:
radio the coastguard (in Gaelic if after December 2012) and ask for
a) a radio check
b) a forecast
and then casully mention that you have a wee problem at the pointy end (no its a claymore, just call it the front) of the boat
You'll then get the Oban lifeboat out and a complimentary mention in "for Argyll"

Plan C:
unfurl the genoa, tighten the halyard and then try again cursing the day that the new-fangled roller reefing replaced piston hanks

Plan D:
Marisca's solution

Plan E:
a "Modified-Marisca" i.e. once sorted keep going as its Scotland, the wind will drop and you'll be late for the tidal gate

Plan F:
If the "Marisca" failed, use the lazy sheet, flip it around the front of the forestay/genny and pull back the on working/loaded side , release the loaded gennysheet and flip it around the front so that you roll the genny. Repeat until crew complains (promises of single malt will motivate) or until the genny is rolled away

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland

Re: The Scenario

Postby ash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Plan A: Grit teeth for a while longer till you have enough sea room to turn directly downwind, decreasing apparent wind speed, and sheltering genoa behind the main / conservatory. Send crew forward to sort out the furling line.

Plan B : ( my preferred option ) Tack around through 180 and sail back up the Sound of Mull, then motor into Lock Aline, with genoa flapping, and anchor. Sort out the problem with genoa. Have a late lunch. Set off again or stay the night depending on forecast / schedule.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: The Scenario

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm

.
Sail almost dead downwind so genoa is blanketed by main, drop genoa, bag and sort the problem later when the wind drops. Pop into Craobh to wait for Big Doris.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: The Scenario

Postby marisca » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Nick wrote:.
Sail almost dead downwind so genoa is blanketed by main, drop genoa, bag and sort the problem later when the wind drops. Pop into Craobh to wait for Big Doris.


I can understand why you wouldn't want them in the Troosers.

Is the problem of time caused by skedaddling out of Balamory before "she" came round for the money?

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: The Scenario

Postby claymore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 pm

marisca wrote:
Nick wrote:.
Sail almost dead downwind so genoa is blanketed by main, drop genoa, bag and sort the problem later when the wind drops. Pop into Craobh to wait for Big Doris.


I can understand why you wouldn't want them in the Troosers.

Is the problem of time caused by skedaddling out of Balamory before "she" came round for the money?


That only ever happens when Para is on board.
No - the problem of time was caused by us going along a bit quicker than anticipated and the wind came in sooner than we thought it might. Interesting responses so far.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

jim.r
SWS
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:49 pm
Boat Type: Moody S38

Re: The Scenario

Postby jim.r » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:47 pm

Rolling hitch on the furling line above the knot , take strain on the added line, undo knot and bob's yer uncle.

User avatar
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace
Location: Body: West Yorks; Boat: Tayvallich
Contact:

Re: The Scenario

Postby aquaplane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

I would reef the main ASAP, or even drop it altogether. Then I would reach across to find a lee off the bottom of Karerra or in the entrance of Loch Feochan and sort out the reefing on the jib.

The Centaur could probably go into Loch Don, but you aren't in the Centaur, and I don't know how much shelter would be had in there.

Going into Puilladobrain with the wind up the chuff and all sail set could be interesting when you try to stop.

I'm assuming that wind over tide @ Pladda would make it a place not to be, we have always hit tidal gates right (mainly right) so I'm not familiar with the alternative. :(

I'm going to try furling by repeatedly tacking the boat, see what it's like.

Must learn how to do a rolling hitch too, folks keep suggesting uses for one and it's usually not when you want to be getting the book out to see how to do it.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: The Scenario

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 pm

.

If the sail can be fully unfurled dropping it on a run is going to be the least traumatic option. Sorting it at leisure on a pontoon is going to be easier than anchoring with a sail uip in half a gale in Puilladobhran.

Was it a furling drum problem, or halliard wrap at the top? If the latter, increasing the genoa luff tension often fixes it.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: The Scenario

Postby claymore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 pm

It was the drum Nick
I think I probably caused it by not keeping enough tension on whilst I furled it away
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: The Scenario

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

claymore wrote:It was the drum Nick
I think I probably caused it by not keeping enough tension on whilst I furled it away


I'm sure it was actually one of your crew who failed to keep adequate tension on it :mrgreen:
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: The Scenario

Postby marisca » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm

So, out with it, what did you do, which pub did you go to, and what have you done with the hippo?

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2484
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Re: The Scenario

Postby Telo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:13 pm

There are reasonable mobile signals in that area, so the obvious thing would have been to go online and post a query on an Internet forum.

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: The Scenario

Postby claymore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Muzzy was helming so it was me on the furler!
We tried a few times to furl and unfurl but it was going nowhere and the sail and sheets flogging needed to be stopped.
We decided to tuck in at the south end of Kerrera as Pullers would have been a tad challenging.
We considered anchoring but the foredeck was no place to be so once downwind of the Island we motored slowly head to wind whilst I had one more fruitless go.
We then dropped the genoa and set off again for Pladda, having dropped the main to the first reef point to slow us down.
That was it really - it continued to blow all the way back to the big yellow feller.
What surprised me was my tunnel vision, I became transfixed by trying to undo the knot on the drum and couldn't see beyond that to dropping the Genoa for ages. In fact it was Muzzy who suggested it.
It took about an hour in the morning to unravel the drum - I'd a few bruises from my antics on the foredeck. We decided that spinning the boat was untenable in the conditions, Claymore is not keen on crash gybes and I felt the risk of added damage was quite high.

I was surprised at how little shelter there was beneath Kerrera, I was below the Castle and the sheltered water looked too close in to attempt.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd


Return to “Shooting the breeze”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests