Galvanising chain

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Galvanising chain

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Is it worth regalvanising our 33m of 8mm anchor chain, and where in Scotland woud I get it done?
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Galvanising chain

Postby Telo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Nick wrote:.
Is it worth regalvanising our 33m of 8mm anchor chain, and where in Scotland woud I get it done?

There was a thread about this a while ago - Eamonn suggested a good place in Glasgow, as I recall.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:49 pm

I don't have the answer to your question but I wonder if you find 33m to be enough? We have 35m, largely because even that much has to be force-fed into the hawse pipe, which can be trying if we're in a hurry to get away. I'd be happier with 50m if it would fit in the locker.

We do carry 50m of anchorplait for emergencies but it's a faff to undo the end of the anchor chain, find the anchorplait and shackle it on so it's never been used. What do others find you need, or can get away with?

Derek

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm

cpedw wrote:

I don't have the answer to your question but I wonder if you find 33m to be enough? We have 35m, largely because even that much has to be force-fed into the hawse pipe, which can be trying if we're in a hurry to get away. I'd be happier with 50m if it would fit in the locker.

We do carry 50m of anchorplait for emergencies but it's a faff to undo the end of the anchor chain, find the anchorplait and shackle it on so it's never been used. What do others find you need, or can get away with?

Derek

We have 33m of chain attached to 20m of anchorplait . . . it's all that will fit in the locker.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Highland Colour Coaters of Cumbernauld will do it and return something that has some articulation and doesn't look like a modern sculpture. If you have any friends left get them to add their chain to the order - there is a minimum price. Charging is by the delta in weight between delivery and pick-up.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 pm

I believe a galvaniser posts on here: MM5AHO.
My own chain is getting rusty, but I have a welded link at 26 metres, so intend to test it before committing to regalvanising.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:29 am

I'll help you. see www.higalv.co.uk
phone and ask for Geoff (me).

Most galvanizers change by weight of the whole material being coated, weighed after processing. We will charge by any method that's agreeable - weight, item count, lump sum, square metre - whatever.

The process includes stripping off the old zinc remaining (if any), and rust removal - as the process is an alloying reaction between zinc and steel. If the steel isn't chemically clean, it doesn't happen, you just get hot steel. Some people think shotblasting is required. It isn't normally unless paint needs to be removed.
Turn-round time is by agreement, 24 hours available, typically a few days to a week.

enough advertising!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:08 am

cpedw wrote:What do others find you need, or can get away with?

Well, we managed fine for years with 30+5m held together by an old rusty link. It needed re-galvanising (still not done), but we went for a new length of 50m. Probably completely unnecessary, but we've since laid out to about 40m a couple of times. Just nice having the luxury of the extra chain when you think you might need it. Nick's Vega is a smaller and lighter craft so I'd have thought 33m would be OK.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Shard wrote:
cpedw wrote:What do others find you need, or can get away with?

Well, we managed fine for years with 30+5m held together by an old rusty link. It needed re-galvanising (still not done), but we went for a new length of 50m. Probably completely unnecessary, but we've since laid out to about 40m a couple of times. Just nice having the luxury of the extra chain when you think you might need it. Nick's Vega is a smaller and lighter craft so I'd have thought 33m would be OK.

The 20m of permanently attached octoplait gives us the equivalent of about 45 m of chain. We don't put it out very often, though we regularly use all the chain when there is swinging room.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:20 pm

50m x 10mm on an 'oversized' Bruce

Famous last words but we've never had a problem with dragging. Can ocassionally be challenged on terms of making decisions where to park in crowded spots. Usually when Para and LJS are aboard
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 pm

NorthUp2 wrote:I believe a galvaniser posts on here: MM5AHO.
My own chain is getting rusty, but I have a welded link at 26 metres, so intend to test it before committing to regalvanising.

Wondered when I read this what other type of link there is? (aren't all links welded?)
But assumed you meant welded other than in original manufacture.

I saw a chain in Lancashire this weekend, was originally 10mm chain, and one link was down to 5mm. Time to renew then I think!
Geoff.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 pm

I had decided I needed another 10 metres of chain (for a 26' MAB), and joined it with one of the riveted joining links- but decided I had more faith in my own welding than a dubious 'cast' link. Cutting the joiner with a hacksaw confirmed my doubts...
Anyway, I have not had to anchor in more than F5 since then, so I will hang a ton or so off a forklift just to be sure, before the expense of regalvanising - or may bite the bullet and buy new.

edit- almost the same question as the webmaster then, except I already knew the number for Highland Galvanisers!

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm

claymore wrote:Famous last words but we've never had a problem .....

Wot you need is mm5's coloured galvanised chain. I'd be going for a fluorescent colour so there's no ... erm ... less ... chance of you losing the boat when returning at night

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 pm

We've (30' 6.5tonne) got a 40lb plough on 40m of new, "C" linked to about 25m of old, 8mm or 5/16" (or a mixture!) chain spliced to 30m of octoplait. I've just cut through an old "C" link to get rid of the rusty end, and old very rusty rope splice, and found it was not thinned at all, just brown on the outside, so poor galv. in comparison to the chain (or different ? could it be "anoding"?)
I've added a shelf in the chain locker to keep the braid and splice up out of the dregs in the hope the splice will remain flexible.
When we had space (Med :) , the old rule was "40 on the floor" can't do that in P'doran though!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Sahona said... "...just brown on the outside, so poor galv."

"Poor galvanizing" is usually one of the following:
Bare patch. - something missed as a result most likely of contamination such as paint. This is obvious right from the start.
Excess zinc. Poor drainage after withdrawl from molten zinc. Also obvious, manifesting as visually thicker zinc over the spot. Normal thickness is about 0.1 - 0.2mm, but can locally be several mm in a lump.

When one area goes brown before the other, its usually either abrasion, or localised more severe corrosion. Under a rope braid etc, then likely as a result of being wet with salt water longer than other parts.
Corrosion requires some moisture (its an electolytic action, so needs a electrolyte - a liquid that conducts electricity).
Keeping the zinc wet does speed up corrosion.
The zinc is sacrificial - it corrodes first, and when consumed, the steel starts rusting.
Geoff.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”