Sail Argyll

Forum for general cruising topics
MrMcP
Master Mariner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:42 am
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby MrMcP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:54 am

Nick, it might be worth adding a few added entries to the list pages (e.g. Marinas & Pontoons) to see how the formatting holds up. It all looks great on a desktop just now, but on any mobile device the screen restrictions push the latter entries down below the reach of the left hand advert and the formatting of title vs content looks a bit odd. As none of the lists are long enough to replicate this on a desktop view, it might be worth giving it a try to see whether the same problem will appear in future as the lists grow?

Example of how it renders in iOS which shows the potential problem being described (this only happens on phone, not pad):
Image

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5679
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 am

MrMcP wrote:Nick, it might be worth adding a few added entries to the list pages (e.g. Marinas & Pontoons) to see how the formatting holds up. It all looks great on a desktop just now, but on any mobile device the screen restrictions push the latter entries down below the reach of the left hand advert and the formatting of title vs content looks a bit odd. As none of the lists are long enough to replicate this on a desktop view, it might be worth giving it a try to see whether the same problem will appear in future as the lists grow?


Thanks for this MrMcP, but I am aware of that.

Code for blank space is manually added to both the lh and rh columns to suit the individual page as the list grows.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2491
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby Telo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:48 am

It's amazing what some nagging and a little spat can do. There, this is the page in Firefox12 (and yes it uses ADP, same as it did before);

Image

User avatar
cpedw
Old Salt
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 am
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS
Location: Oban

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby cpedw » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 am

Nick,
On the Visitor Moorings page, Cardingmill Bay links to Ardfern (do they run the moorings?).

On the same page, the entries are arranged alphabetically mainland first, then islands starting at Tobermory. I'd find it easier if they were more geographically arranged, e.g. north to south. Similarly for marinas. It's not going to be simple with Campbeltown in the mix. Is nowhere else on the east side included?

Derek.

User avatar
ParaHandy
Old Salt
Posts: 705
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:11 am

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 am

I note you describe Argyll one of the best cruising grounds in the world and have a pic of a sleekit ocean greyhoond wi' its spinnaker up but ignores the beating heart of cruising:
Image
On behalf of all "normal" cruisers could we have more realistic, accurate even, depiction orra ra realities, ken?

User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby marisca » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:01 am

Why's the pole upside-doon?

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2491
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby Telo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:18 am

marisca wrote:Why's the pole upside-doon?


And shouldn't the pole be on the windward side?

User avatar
ParaHandy
Old Salt
Posts: 705
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:11 am

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am

marisca wrote:Why's the pole upside-doon?

Eh?

Jings, another eejit's oan aboot the wind ...

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:59 pm
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger
Location: 13:44:00N 100:32:00E

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 am

Shard wrote:
marisca wrote:Why's the pole upside-doon?


And shouldn't the pole be on the windward side?


It is on the windward side....

A bridle would be good so that he doesn't make two wee poles out of one big one

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby ubergeekian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:20 pm

marisca wrote:Why's the pole upside-doon?

He looks the right way up to me, and more Scottish than Polish.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:59 pm
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger
Location: 13:44:00N 100:32:00E

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Cue Chick Murray Joke @ the olympics

"hoy, are you a pole-vaulter"

"no, I am German...
but how did you know my name is Walter?"

User avatar
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 am
Boat Type: Rival 41C
Location: Hogganfield Loch

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
marisca wrote:Why's the pole upside-doon?

He looks the right way up to me, and more Scottish than Polish.


Yep it looks OK to me to. The lugs are for a bridle but not for the pole up line, for the pole down line. All the load is upwards and in strong winds the pole down will be straining hard to keep the pole from skying. The pole up line is almost redundant when flying in strong winds. The open part of the latch should be pointing up to allow the guy to come free easily.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5679
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm

cpedw wrote:Nick,
On the Visitor Moorings page, Cardingmill Bay links to Ardfern (do they run the moorings?).

On the same page, the entries are arranged alphabetically mainland first, then islands starting at Tobermory. I'd find it easier if they were more geographically arranged, e.g. north to south. Similarly for marinas. It's not going to be simple with Campbeltown in the mix. Is nowhere else on the east side included?

Derek.


Thanks Derek, have fixed that link.

The two pages you mention are the only ones that aren't totally alphabetical because I didn't feel it to be completely appropriate. What to do will be decided in due course . . . Rome and all that :D

Many thinks for your input.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4233
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Ardfern or Lancashire

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby claymore » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:06 pm

I really cannot stand you all telling me I got something more or less right - can we have change of attitude round here please?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd


Return to “Shooting the breeze”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests