Page 3 of 7

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 am
by Alan_D
A pedant writes:

On the Home Page:
Sailing in Argyll is no longer wilderness sailing. The area has developed enormously over the last decade, with full service marinas, pontoons and moorings being developed, providing facilities for more yachts.

Shouldn't that be full-service marinas?

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 am
by Alan_D
Barcaldine Marine

...for vessels up to 13.5m in length or 15 tones gross weight.

Hedging your bets between tons and tonnes?

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 am
by Alan_D
Melfort Pier and Harbour

Loch melfort is missing an initial capital.

Chartering

If you have to apologise for Lochaber Watersports not being in Argyll, why no similar comment about West Highland Sailing?

A digression: what boundaries are you using for Argyll, A&B Council area or "traditional" Argyll county? If the second you could include details of the new pontoons at Salen (Sunart) as this was North Argyll prior to 1975.

Owen Sails

Typo: ...cruisng or racing...

Puffin Dive Centre

Another typo: ... offer RYA i and II (should be upper case I).

The Lord of the Isles pub and restaurant

Typo: ...at Craoh haven

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:20 am
by Nick
.
Those people with Firefox giving strange results - it is due to you running an adblocker.

Google ads are eliminated by it without the space they take up being filled. That's your penalty for running adblocker I'm afraid. I might know a way of fixing it by enclosing the ad in a fixed width and height div, but I am not sure what my motivation is.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:21 am
by Nick
Alan_D wrote:Melfort Pier and Harbour

Loch melfort is missing an initial capital.

Chartering

If you have to apologise for Lochaber Watersports not being in Argyll, why no similar comment about West Highland Sailing?

A digression: what boundaries are you using for Argyll, A&B Council area or "traditional" Argyll county? If the second you could include details of the new pontoons at Salen (Sunart) as this was North Argyll prior to 1975.

Owen Sails

Typo: ...cruisng or racing...

Puffin Dive Centre

Another typo: ... offer RYA i and II (should be upper case I).

The Lord of the Isles pub and restaurant

Typo: ...at Craoh haven


Thanks Alan, will go through these typos tomorrow.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 am
by jim.r
re firefox and adblocker, I'm not convinced that is the case. If you look at the screen capture I posted you will see ads appearing. I suspect it is more to do with Firefox perhaps using a max length for the <div> tag which encloses the sub heading. But as you all know ;-) I'm a technological innocent!

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:17 am
by ubergeekian
Nick wrote:Google ads are eliminated by it without the space they take up being filled. That's your penalty for running adblocker I'm afraid. I might know a way of fixing it by enclosing the ad in a fixed width and height div, but I am not sure what my motivation is.


I suppose it depends who's paying you, and who's paying them.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 am
by Nick
jim.r wrote:re firefox and adblocker, I'm not convinced that is the case. If you look at the screen capture I posted you will see ads appearing. I suspect it is more to do with Firefox perhaps using a max length for the <div> tag which encloses the sub heading. But as you all know ;-) I'm a technological innocent!


The ads you see appearing on the right hand side are my own creation, served locally and crafted so as to not to trigger any adblocking software. The missing ad is a Google Adsense skyscraper which appears on the lhs on every page except the home page. You can see the ad in the initial screenshot I posted. It is missing from your screenshots. The ad is served in an iframe, so if it is not there the rest of the content simply flows back into the missing space.

You will find that most - though not all - sites running Google Adsense will not appear as the designer intended when you are running this software.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am
by Nick
ubergeekian wrote:
Nick wrote:Google ads are eliminated by it without the space they take up being filled. That's your penalty for running adblocker I'm afraid. I might know a way of fixing it by enclosing the ad in a fixed width and height div, but I am not sure what my motivation is.


I suppose it depends who's paying you, and who's paying them.


Adsense ads are Google's main source of revenue. They are context-sensitive, so are usually appropriate to the content of the page and of potential interest to the page's audience. Of all internet advertising it is the least obtrusive, which iswhy it has been so successful. They are also the only of revenue for many useful and informative websites. And, as we have seen, indiscriminate use of adblocker software can result in web pages not being displayed as intended, even in them being unuseable in some cases.

You can 'whitelist' specific sites with Adblock Plus if you want to see it the way the designer intended. It's your choice.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:12 pm
by jim.r
Suggestion , move the ad one line down so it starts at the sub heading level and all should fall into line?

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:58 pm
by Nick
jim.r wrote:Suggestion , move the ad one line down so it starts at the sub heading level and all should fall into line?

The ad is in an Iframe and the css uses blocks called divs, not lines. Adblocker is removing the entire Iframe from the page. The other blocks float relative to the rest of the content in the page, so if the Iframe is not there they float left. Some of the elements are fixed width - these retain their integrity when treated like this. Elements which have not been given a fixed width flow to fill the gaps.

If I gave every element a fixed width it would stop the text breaking up in the same way, but would leave white spaces instead. Easiest solution is to put the Iframe inside a fixed width/height left-floated div, which would just leave white space where the ad is. Been a while since you did any web design I guess.

The thing is, you tell me my motivation for catering for people who choose to run Adblocker in Firefox and are too lazy to either whitelist sites they might want to visit or to fire up Chrome or any other browser they have not installed an adblocker in.

Beats the hell out of me . . .

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm
by Nick
Alan_D wrote:Melfort Pier and Harbour

Loch melfort is missing an initial capital.

(etc snipped)



Thanks very much for the eagle-eyed typo hunting Alan - all fixed now.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:04 pm
by jim.r
Nick, sweetheart, resisting the urge to respond in a similarly ascerbic tone, the issue seems to be that you have a fixed width assigned to your listingbar css element of 488px whilst the CSS tag you are using for the detail (linktext) has no fixed width assigned.
The detail then spreads and the header does'nt. The solution does'nt seem to be too difficult to my aged and html,css rusty brain.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:34 pm
by claymore
Jamesie
ye should know better than tae advise the wee fekker on matters technical. He takes it that his spelling can sometimes contain an error but on matters technical it would be easier to get Bill Gates to change his company name to Microshaft.

Re: Sail Argyll

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:56 pm
by ubergeekian
Nick wrote:Adsense ads are Google's main source of revenue. They are context-sensitive, so are usually appropriate to the content of the page and of potential interest to the page's audience. Of all internet advertising it is the least obtrusive, which iswhy it has been so successful. They are also the only of revenue for many useful and informative websites. And, as we have seen, indiscriminate use of adblocker software can result in web pages not being displayed as intended, even in them being unuseable in some cases.


All very true. However, the people paying for nice big adverts on a website might take a view if the site owner drives away potential customers by including Google ads, whether or not they're then blocked.

Ad blockers are a fact of life, and there is no point in anyone (not you in particular, Nick) getting hoity-toity about them. Perhaps some interesting parallels with those who put in for-profit visitors' moorings and then get sniffy at people who choose to anchor instead.