Sail Argyll

Forum for general cruising topics
ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Sail Argyll

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Nick wrote:The thing is, you tell me my motivation for catering for people who choose to run Adblocker in Firefox and are too lazy to either whitelist sites they might want to visit or to fire up Chrome or any other browser they have not installed an adblocker in.

Your motivation, I imagine, is to give value for money to the people who are paying you to advertise their businesses. Are they happy that you cripple their adverts as a revenge against people who have the temerity to block competing adverts from other companies?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 pm

jim.r wrote:Nick, sweetheart, resisting the urge to respond in a similarly ascerbic tone, the issue seems to be that you have a fixed width assigned to your listingbar css element of 488px whilst the CSS tag you are using for the detail (linktext) has no fixed width assigned.
The detail then spreads and the header does'nt. The solution does'nt seem to be too difficult to my aged and html,css rusty brain.

I suggest you try it then and have a look at the result. It screws up the way the site displays without adblocker.

You must be the oldest teenager on the block Jamesie . . . most of us have realised by now that we do not actually know absolutely feckin' everything.

Sorry, it's your problem, not mine.
- Nick 8)

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm

jings, I suspect I'll not be responding the next time you ask for help in testing a site, my friend. Whilst your at it, please delete my log in. I know where I'm not wanted.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:23 pm

ubergeekian wrote:Ad blockers are a fact of life, and there is no point in anyone (not you in particular, Nick) getting hoity-toity about them.

I'm not getting hoity toity. I just can't believe the arrogance of people who think I should attempt to configure a website to cope with software they have installed that is specifically designed to remove integral elements of that site.

Let's look at it frolm a purely rational business pov . . . Adsense is generally installed as a simple, painless way to attempt to monetise a site. In the case of a site like this the height of dizzy ambition might be to recoup one's costs. People with Adblock installed are guaranteed non-contributors to the maintenance costs of a site, so for them then to complain about the way the site looks seems a bit daft.

Tell me UG, why excactly you think I should care what the site looks like to people with adblocker installed? What exactly is my motivation?
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:27 pm

jim.r wrote:jings, I suspect I'll not be responding the next time you ask for help in testing a site, my friend. Whilst your at it, please delete my log in. I know where I'm not wanted.

Don't be so feckin' precious James.

I understand that you think you know more about what I do for a living than I do. However, ask yourself how often I have tried to tell you how to do your job and then do the old beam / mote equation, there's a good chap.

I won't delete your login - go away and have a wee huff and come back when you are not feeling so delicate.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 pm

And to the rest of you thanks very much - your input was very helpful.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

ubergeekian wrote:Your motivation, I imagine, is to give value for money to the people who are paying you to advertise their businesses. Are they happy that you cripple their adverts as a revenge against people who have the temerity to block competing adverts from other companies?

Two points:

1/ The adverts I provide display perfectly, in the correct position, with or without adblocker enabled. In fact, if the rest of the website is unattractive (due to blocks being shifted around) then the chances of someone clicking an ad as a way out are increased rather than diminished.

2/ People who advertise on websites tend not to run ad blocking software, so are not aware of the 'problem'.

I realise that like wee Jamesie you think you know my business better than me, but I can assure you that you are mistaken.
- Nick 8)

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm

However, you are completely wrong on at least one thing. I really do wish my login deleted. Thank you.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

jim.r wrote:However, you are completely wrong on at least one thing. I really do wish my login deleted. Thank you.

If you really wish it deleted there will be a £10 administrative charge.
- Nick 8)

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:28 pm

:shake: :shake: :shake:

Get a grip you twos!
the other half

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 pm

garredfox wrote: :shake: :shake: :shake:

Get a grip you twos!

+1 (I hate that shorthand)

Your centennial post Foxy.
different colours made of tears

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Silkie wrote:+1 (I hate that shorthand)

Me too +1 . What is it about that wee abbreviation that's so objectionble?
Derek

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Ads for all now

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Well, I have now (reluctantly) given the block containing the Adsense advert a fixed height (by far the simplest way of preserving the website structure when adblock is enabled). I have also had to change the names of various graphics, folders etc to get the advertising enquiry form to continue working when adblock is enabled.

I have also added a default ad as a background to the div containing the adsense iframe and used javascript to give it a default onclick behaviour, so that those with adblock enabled all get the same advert instead of a context-sensitive Google advert. If you disable adblock for this site you will see the intended Adsense ads. If you keep adblock enabled you will see the ad for Webcraft. This to my mind is less desireable than the context-sensitive advert, but at least the structure of the website is maintained.
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Ads for all now

Postby ash » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 am

Nick wrote:.
If you keep adblock enabled you will see the ad for Webcraft.

HaHa - Love it!

I don't run an ad blocker and don't have any great objection to ads whether fixed or sensed.

I object to adverts if they slow down the loading of a page - this is very frustrating when on a slow connection - but I find that the pages in sailargyll load very quickly so no problem there.

I also object to the ads or are they popups that you find on a certain photo hosting site because they try to 'trick' you - either by being in the way of normal operation of the mouse or by having text which I believe to be untrue. I understand that they are providing a service which I find useful and which is free to me so they need to recoup their costs but I just don't like the style but that's just a personal thing.

I don't have a problem with the 'click through' adverts either - I'm amazed that our good friend from KTL used to make a good living from 'click throughs' on his American websites but of course the bottom did eventually fall out.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Nick wrote:If I gave every element a fixed width it would stop the text breaking up in the same way, but would leave white spaces instead. Easiest solution is to put the Iframe inside a fixed width/height left-floated div, which would just leave white space where the ad is. Been a while since you did any web design I guess.

My brain hurts.....

Return to “Shooting the breeze”