Weather: Thursday's Look Ahead video - Very heavy rain and w

Forum for general cruising topics
weatherman
Weather Guru

Weather: Thursday's Look Ahead video - Very heavy rain and w

Postby weatherman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Hello,

Those of you following me on twitter ( @weatherschool) and Facebook ( www.facebook.com/groups/weatherschool/ ) will know I have been posting all morning about the risk of some very heavy rain through the Mdilands, Wales and northern England on Friday.

Low pressure then looks set to bring an unsettled weekend, although not everyone will have a washout.

Full details are in today's Look Ahead video which you can watch now at http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv.htm

Keep the sun shining!

Simon
Simon Keeling, PhD MSc, FRMetS
My new book The Pocket Weather Forecaster is out now. Read sample pages here.
http://www.weatherweb.net
http://www.weatherschool.co.uk

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Weather: Thursday's Look Ahead video - Very heavy rain a

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:27 pm

weatherman wrote:I have been posting all morning about the risk of some very heavy rain through the Mdilands, Wales and northern England on Friday.

We were promised foul weather here in SW Scotland today, with rain starting by 10am and becoming torrential. It has been warm and sunny - albeit a little humid - all day, with never more than 3/8 cloud cover.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
weatherman wrote:I have been posting all morning about the risk of some very heavy rain through the Mdilands, Wales and northern England on Friday.

We were promised foul weather here in SW Scotland today, with rain starting by 10am and becoming torrential. It has been warm and sunny - albeit a little humid - all day, with never more than 3/8 cloud cover.

Warm, sunny, humid here in Neilston / Barrhead too, but listening to the radio, I think that there was heavy rain nearby in Ayrshire.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

ash wrote:Warm, sunny, humid here in Neilston / Barrhead too, but listening to the radio, I think that there was heavy rain nearby in Ayrshire.

The BBC reports that the A71/A76/A77 junction by Kilmarnock is closed by flooding. What good three fire engines are expected to do I don't know - pump out Ayrshire?

We had a bijou downpourette at about 8pm, but it only lasted 10 minutes or so, and the air is still very warm and sticky. Obviously very unstable, as the cus have been shooting up easily 4,000' above cloudbase. Made me wish I still had a glider to go sniffing about in.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:16 pm

ash wrote:
ubergeekian wrote:

Warm, sunny, humid here in Neilston / Barrhead too, but listening to the radio, I think that there was heavy rain nearby in Ayrshire.

Ash

Heavy is not the word! I was called over to Brodick tonight to do an emergency repair. I had to sit in the van for 10 mins because I couldn't make the dash to the exchange door which was all of 10 yards away without getting drookit. It was torrential!. Up to that point it was around 21 degrees c and very humid. later on I spoke to a guy in the pub who had been in Lamlash all night and had not seen any rain. I was also in Ayr late afternoon and there was thunder, lightning and some heavy showers.
It's all very strange :?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”