More medical nether regions

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

More medical nether regions

Postby marisca » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Well, if bowel cancer tests are "interesting" may I enquire of the ancients on here their experiences of another age-related problem. I am threatened with a TURP - as I understand it they poke an apple corer up my willy and core out the prostate. There is a possibility of it being done in March but I am reluctant to spoil the start of the sailing season so if any of you have experienced this procedure, how long before you felt fit enough to hoist sails, weigh anchors, row dinghies etc.? I was intending to leave the mud and squalor of Port Edgar behind on the 31st March.

If we keep on with medical matters will Nick stop the bubbles?

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Re: More medical nether regions

Postby jim.r » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Having recently had a camera shoved up the willy, I sympathise immensely! Good luck, mate and I am interested in the response as it is not beyond the bounds of possibility for happening to me!

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 am

+1 on the camera.
A close friend had the dreaded prostate trouble but had it all chopped out. The catheter thingy is the pain to live with, and if you've been "cored" I guess it would be pertinant. No chance of a nice stent-type of bloodless fix?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 am

FFS - youse will be posting pictures of your bowel motions next.

If I had wanted to start an Old Farts Health Issues forum I would have titled it thus.

Watch out next week for the first in six-part series 'Your Urologist And You - A Guide For The Senior Sailor'
- Nick 8)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 pm

It's the bubbles doctor, . . .

they make me lose control
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm sorry I can't add expertise or knowledge, but I think I cam manage a bit more sympathy than Nick. Mind you that's not hard is it, I've never seen a bar set so low!

Marisca, whatever they ask, I'd be inclind to say thank you & grin & bear it. Even if iy costs you a season, it may well buy you a few extra in the long term. We may not be quite so interested in the long term at our age, but it is still worth the aggro.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm

As it happens I looked into this a bit recently before a trip to the urology clinic in Oban last week.

A TURP (trans-urethral prostate resection) is usually carried out to reduce an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia) that is causing urinary restriction. Note the word 'benign'. This is not a 'life-saving' procedure per se, although it can make everyday life a lot easier if you ahve severe pissing problems.

There is loads of info about it online, with a good summary HERE. It takes about four weeks to make a full recovery, so if it is done in March you should be OK for the start of the sailing season.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Thanks Nick. I'd read the websites but was rather hoping some of the relics on here had personal experiences, particularly whether strenuous exercise in the 1st 4 weeks just causes pain or is it physically impossible. My sailing season starts with a 200nm trip to Clachnaharry on 31st March, not the half way through May of the West Coast, and I'm still waiting for the op date.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm

marisca wrote:Thanks Nick. I'd read the websites but was rather hoping some of the relics on here had personal experiences, particularly whether strenuous exercise in the 1st 4 weeks just causes pain or is it physically impossible. My sailing season starts with a 200nm trip to Clachnaharry on 31st March, not the half way through May of the West Coast, and I'm still waiting for the op date.

No need for strenuous exercise surely - get young crew! Failing that, give me a shout nearer the time - I will probably be available and, believe it or not, I've b
never sailed a Co32
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Arghiro wrote:I'm sorry I can't add expertise or knowledge, but I think I cam manage a bit more sympathy than Nick. Mind you that's not hard is it, I've never seen a bar set so low!

Marisca, whatever they ask, I'd be inclind to say thank you & grin & bear it. Even if iy costs you a season, it may well buy you a few extra in the long term. We may not be quite so interested in the long term at our age, but it is still worth the aggro.

Agree entirely - rather a late start to a season than an early finish to everything
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:40 pm

claymore wrote:Agree entirely - rather a late start to a season than an early finish to everything

A TURP is a procedure employed for an enlarged prostate, which is not generally a life threatening condition. I don't think it is a life and death matter at this stage, so calm down dear!
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 pm

I was enjoying the sympathy but Nick is right, there is the word "benign" in the diagnosis. The symptoms are a pissing nuisance but I don't know how to manipulate the NHS to fit in with my sailing schedule.

Anyway the bubbles are still there! I'm going to go into details of symptoms and procedures unless they stop.

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 am

Must stop the bubbles! QUICKLY!

:peace:
the other half

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Oh, I don't know, the extra info could be useful to many.

Best wishes for both the procedure & the trip, Marisca.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Para and me could check you out if you'd rather
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”