May I commend ...

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

May I commend ...

Postby marisca » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 pm

to the forum - http://scottishanchorages.co.uk - particularly the advice for coping with "older" sailors.
Last edited by marisca on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Re: May I commend ...

Postby Gardenshed » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:46 pm

and I quote........

Constipation is best dealt with by prevention – plenty of fresh fruit and veg, prunes and so on. I hesitate to suggest you carry some surgical gloves for a manual evacuation but sometimes needs must. Otherwise retire to the heads with a good book and keep trying.

comments chentlemen?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm

marisca wrote:to the forum - http://scottishanchorages.co.uk - particularly the advice for coping with "older" sailors.

A fabulous website, although it takes a long while to load.
- Nick 8)

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Excellent stuff. I particularly enjoyed:

'How much minor surgery you want to do is up to you, but if you are competent take some sutures, local anaesthetic, syringes and green needles, artery forceps, scalpels, tweezers which have many other uses, and scissors (as well as the boat scissors). I wouldn't try a general anaesthetic if I were you, but the more adventurous doctor, nurse or paramedic could take a face mask and oropharyngeal tube maybe. Not sure if you can get battery powered defibrillators.'

I claim to be a moderately adventurous doctor but not of medicine. I will try nearly anything once and would be more than willing to administer electric shocks to maintain discipline aboard. The cognoscenti will be along to explain that I shouldn't do that myself but must command a crew member to apply the amps to a miscreant.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Green Boat wrote:I will try nearly anything once and would be more than willing to administer electric shocks to maintain discipline aboard. The cognoscenti will be along to explain that I shouldn't do that myself but must command a crew member to apply the amps to a miscreant.

I recommend fitting your crew with

Petsafe 100m Big Dog Electronic Trainer

with 8 levels of intensity and 100m range?

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Gardenshed wrote:Constipation is best dealt with by prevention – plenty of fresh fruit and veg, prunes and so on. I hesitate to suggest you carry some surgical gloves for a manual evacuation but sometimes needs must. Otherwise retire to the heads with a good book and keep trying.

comments chentlemen?

Q. What do mathematicians do when they're constipated?
A. They work it out with a pencil.

Thanks, folks, I'm here all week. You're a great audience.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Green Boat wrote:'... Not sure if you can get battery powered defibrillators.'

Impromtu the Contessa 32 owned then by Dr Tom Barrie certainly had one - and he wasn't afraid to use it!

Regards
Donald

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Green Boat wrote:Excellent stuff. I particularly enjoyed:

'How much minor surgery you want to do is up to you, but if you are competent take some sutures, local anaesthetic, syringes and green needles, artery forceps, scalpels, tweezers which have many other uses, and scissors (as well as the boat scissors). I wouldn't try a general anaesthetic if I were you, but the more adventurous doctor, nurse or paramedic could take a face mask and oropharyngeal tube maybe. Not sure if you can get battery powered defibrillators.'

I claim to be a moderately adventurous doctor but not of medicine. I will try nearly anything once and would be more than willing to administer electric shocks to maintain discipline aboard. The cognoscenti will be along to explain that I shouldn't do that myself but must command a crew member to apply the amps to a miscreant.

Yes you do get battery powered defibs. I was just talking to my wife about this a few days ago. She was telling me how most public places like shopping centres, and doctors surgeries are required to have one. I said isn't that a bit silly letting these loose on untrained people but she assured me they are fool proof now. You just stick the pads on and the machine does the rest. It measures your heartbeat or lack of one and decides whether you need a jump start or not. It even speaks to you and says CLEAR!

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 am

Aja wrote:Impromtu the Contessa 32 owned then by Dr Tom Barrie certainly had one - and he wasn't afraid to use it!

Regards
Donald

I raced on Impromptu with Tom for a season a few years ago. He never defibrilated me though.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 am

Weel noo
Ah've taken ma fair share o stick fer this oer the years but may I noo re- commend the laxative properties o' ma finest caulifloor cheese. There's nae teethmarks in ra cludgie door oan Claymore frae folk trying tae shift a stiff yin.
You ask Para - he'll tell ye.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:26 pm

[quote="Booby TrapperYes you do get battery powered defibs. I was just talking to my wife about this a few days ago. She was telling me how most public places like shopping centres, and doctors surgeries are required to have one. I said isn't that a bit silly letting these loose on untrained people but she assured me they are fool proof now. You just stick the pads on and the machine does the rest. It measures your heartbeat or lack of one and decides whether you need a jump start or not. It even speaks to you and says CLEAR![/quote]

I note that there is one in the big shed on the golfcourse outside my window, and have seen the greenkeepers put it into action,before loading the patient into the quad-trailer and whipping him across to the ambulance.
So it appears that maybe greenkeepers are paramedic trained as well.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Yes you do get battery powered defibs.

Matt has one on Mojomo - there were a couple of mornings in Las Palmas when I thought I might need it.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

We're getting one in the village.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:49 pm