Page 1 of 13

Drinks

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:48 pm
by Ocklepoint
Have we reached that time of the year when we discuss a seasonal refreshment?

I seem to remember conversation last year about reaching out from Tramtown to embrace the central swathe of our fine country.

If some knowledgeable person were to suggest a public house, with decent beer, the likelihood of seats being available and within 5 minutes walk from a station....................

I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling, I believe they even have pubs in Falkirk and then there's Linlithgow, you must be able to get a drink there.

Suggestions.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 pm
by ubergeekian
Ocklepoint wrote:I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling, I believe they even have pubs in Falkirk and then there's Linlithgow, you must be able to get a drink there.

Suggestions.


What about the Bridge Inn on the Union Canal at Ratho? Could include a meal afloat for those that wanted ...

Re: Drinks

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55 am
by cpedw
ubergeekian wrote:
What about the Bridge Inn on the Union Canal at Ratho? Could include a meal afloat for those that wanted ...


It's quite a way from Ratho Station and the trauma from jumping out of a Scotrail express can put you right off your pint!

Derek

Re: Drinks

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 pm
by marisca
ubergeekian wrote:
What about the Bridge Inn on the Union Canal at Ratho? Could include a meal afloat for those that wanted ...


I could inflate the Redcrest, pop some oily 2* into the 2 horse egg whisk and offer lifts frae Embro. Tin hats might be needed for the Sighthill bit.

May I suggest that choosing a place that is a nightmare to get to/from by pubic transport for everyone, while terribly fair, ain't as good as a place that inconveniences a minority but is easy for the majority. So perhaps first a rough idea of who wants to and which corner of the land they find easiest? Then there is the wee matter of the date and the actual hostelry to which we wish to give our valuable custom.

For me it is the east central lowlands and not the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:10 pm
by Fingal
I'm inclined to agree with Marisca (checks brain for other signs of the onset of doolalyness) regarding east central lowlands, however defined, as the general area. I have no principled objection to jumping on a train or bus to somewhere with a decent pub within, say, 5-10 minutes of the bus-stop or station. Stirling / Linlithgow perfectly acceptable. The Doric in Market Street is about as close to Edinburgh Waverley as you can get and has a pub downstairs and a fancier bit (wine bar one side, bistro the other) upstairs. I suggest sometime between 28 Nov and 10th December, preferably a weekday evening.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:26 pm
by DaveS
I would agree - anywhere within MSD of a station.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:47 pm
by Telo
Ocklepoint wrote:I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling


Well, of course, the Settle Inn would suit me fine (except for Wednesdays when we settle in for the haun' knitted traditional music - gets a bit crowded then). The Doric beside Waverley Station would be an excellent venue. Good food in the restaurant, and I like the downstairs bar.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:40 am
by ubergeekian
cpedw wrote:
ubergeekian wrote:
What about the Bridge Inn on the Union Canal at Ratho? Could include a meal afloat for those that wanted ...


It's quite a way from Ratho Station and the trauma from jumping out of a Scotrail express can put you right off your pint!


Easy to get to by bus, as the two stations at Ratho closed in 1931 and 1950. However, you make a good point.

I have a vague memory of a nice canalside place at Linlithgow too.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:34 pm
by DaveS
The Doric sounds attractive.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:09 pm
by Telo
Trouble is, it's a bad time of year for having a drink as the pubs tend to be full of amateurs.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 pm
by Silkie
How about the FCYC?

Coming from the south side I'll be boring and suggest Embra again to avoid having to spend longer travelling than drinking.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 pm
by Clyde_Wanderer
Ocklepoint wrote:Have we reached that time of the year when we discuss a seasonal refreshment?

I seem to remember conversation last year about reaching out from Tramtown to embrace the central swathe of our fine country.

If some knowledgeable person were to suggest a public house, with decent beer, the likelihood of seats being available and within 5 minutes walk from a station....................

I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling, I believe they even have pubs in Falkirk and then there's Linlithgow, you must be able to get a drink there.

Suggestions.


Apparently the 'Black Bitch' in Linlithgow is a goodun.
Though havent tried a pint of their white headed black stuff yet.
C_W

Re: Drinks

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 pm
by mm5aho
Living in W Lothain (but normally sailing on the west coast only), Linlithgow is real handy, about 10 mins away!
Geoff

Re: Drinks

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 pm
by Ocklepoint
1. Friday nights
2. Saturday nights
3. Wednesday nights

I suspect the Bridge Inn may be a Bridge too far
and it maybe above and beyond to ask the August Silkie
to journey into Embra and then further out again.

Re: Drinks

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 pm
by Fingal
Wednesday or Friday would be my order of preference.