Drinks

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Drinks

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 am

Tomorrow is Tuesday - Geoff, Dave and Alastair can do that. Could be relatively cheap rounds!
So Doric 19.00 (for Ken the social scientist, that's the wee hand pointing at 7 and the big hand at 12) tomorrow Tuesday 10th Dec.

....... unless, of course, there is a better idea .........

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Right, I'm sorted.
Train to Waverley, short walk, see you there. Unless it changes!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Sorry, can't make it, but please have a round on me.....

Roger

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:56 pm

So tomorrow, Tuesday, 1900 at the Doric, then? See you there.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:44 pm

I can't manage that either. :(

Maybe next time. :)
different colours made of tears

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:14 am

Drink was taken and tales were told. But where was Ken?

Most unresolved topic - why does Nick go to the "lounge"? Masochism?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

marisca wrote:Most unresolved topic - why does Nick go to the "lounge"? Masochism?

Perhaps it is the sheer disbelief that there can be so many miserable, twisted, hate-filled, far-right, greedy, selfish, money-worshipping, brain-dead, mail reading, reality-denying, tinfoil-helmet-wearing, unpleasant, smug, misinformed, self-righteous bile-choked hopelessly deluded feckwits in one place.

Or perhaps it is because there are still a few decent people swilling about in the morass trying to make sense of it and it would be unkind to abandon them.

I am going to try to stick to Scuttlebutt in future, but if they do end up shut the Lounge all the bile will undoubtedly spill over as before.

Nice here innit? If it was a bit busier I could perhaps eschew YBW for ever. Sorry I missed the drinks again - one year I will make it.
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:47 am

I have been trying to decide if the amount of racist/agressive types that inhabit the Lounge signify that a disproprtionate number of yachties fall into that category or whether it is just a reflection of the views held by the same percentage of the population as a whole. Not sure if that makes sense but hopefully you will see what I mean ;)
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Storyline wrote:I have been trying to decide if the amount of racist/agressive types that inhabit the Lounge signify that a disproprtionate number of yachties fall into that category or whether it is just a reflection of the views held by the same percentage of the population as a whole. Not sure if that makes sense but hopefully you will see what I mean ;)

I've pondered on that for some time.

A lot of the worst offenders in the Lounge have expensive motor boats or don't have a boat at all. At least one to my certain knowledge has no interest in boating whatsoever.

I suspect it is more to do with income group than choice of hobby.
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Nick wrote:
Storyline wrote:I have been trying to decide if the amount of racist/agressive types that inhabit the Lounge signify that a disproprtionate number of yachties fall into that category or whether it is just a reflection of the views held by the same percentage of the population as a whole. Not sure if that makes sense but hopefully you will see what I mean ;)

I've pondered on that for some time.

A lot of the worst offenders in the Lounge have expensive motor boats or don't have a boat at all. At least one to my certain knowledge has no interest in boating whatsoever.

I suspect it is more to do with income group than choice of hobby.

Yes, you are probably right. I have met some obnoxious 'self made men' who seem to have lost any sense of compassion along the way. Does not apply to all of course.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Nick, you are right in observing that it is nice here. As I pointed out, you should come here more often.
I think the lounge has calmed down a bit in the last few days so it possibly may win a reprieve - and anyway the bile would just bile over into shufflebrum if it were to go, as others have observed.
I have noticed that when I post on there, there is seldom a response nowadays which makes me think it has become very clique - y.
Mind you, that said, its happening more over here but perhaps just a happy state of apathy. :D
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:05 pm

claymore wrote:Nick, you are right in observing that it is nice here. As I pointed out, you should come here more often.
I think the lounge has calmed down a bit in the last few days so it possibly may win a reprieve - and anyway the bile would just bile over into shufflebrum if it were to go, as others have observed.
I have noticed that when I post on there, there is seldom a response nowadays which makes me think it has become very clique - y.
Mind you, that said, its happening more over here but perhaps just a happy state of apathy. :D

We canna hae that - here's a response. :santa:

I haven't been in the Lounge in weeks, and can't say I miss it.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:22 pm

Keep up the good work Dave.

I haven't visited in over a year and feel much happier about the state of the human race as a result.
different colours made of tears

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:18 pm

marisca wrote:Drink was taken and tales were told. But where was Ken?

Most unresolved topic - why does Nick go to the "lounge"? Masochism?

My apologies, I have been a bit busy with one thing and another and took my eye off the ball BM-wise for a week or so. My beer intake capacity is also somewhat restricted at the moment so it tends to be a bit frustrating going to the pub.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 pm

Well here we are again.

The great Marisca has suggested "With every bloody shop touting Xmas goodies I find my thoughts turning to alcohol in an attempt to escape. If the forum denizens are considering their traditional Edinburgh pub meet-up, may I advise that Marisca's skipper will be in darkest Africa* 'tween 9th and 29th December. So you can either take that as an invitation to avoid those dates or to gleefully plan during them - it's up to you.

*Yes, really, but I am assured that the Spanish ebola outbreak was closer to Scotland than Rwanda is to Sierra Leone, etc."

Seems an eminently sensible plan to me

What about Thursday 4th December?

A place with decent beer, seats and no loud music in central Edinburgh?

7.30 ish?

Some of the usual suspects?

Is this the longest running thread on this forum? About drink...............Scottish sailors

Return to “Shooting the breeze”