Drinks

Forum for general cruising topics
Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Drinks

Postby Ocklepoint » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Have we reached that time of the year when we discuss a seasonal refreshment?

I seem to remember conversation last year about reaching out from Tramtown to embrace the central swathe of our fine country.

If some knowledgeable person were to suggest a public house, with decent beer, the likelihood of seats being available and within 5 minutes walk from a station....................

I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling, I believe they even have pubs in Falkirk and then there's Linlithgow, you must be able to get a drink there.

Suggestions.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Drinks

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Ocklepoint wrote:I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling, I believe they even have pubs in Falkirk and then there's Linlithgow, you must be able to get a drink there.

Suggestions.

What about the Bridge Inn on the Union Canal at Ratho? Could include a meal afloat for those that wanted ...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55 am

ubergeekian wrote:
What about the Bridge Inn on the Union Canal at Ratho? Could include a meal afloat for those that wanted ...

It's quite a way from Ratho Station and the trauma from jumping out of a Scotrail express can put you right off your pint!

Derek

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 pm

ubergeekian wrote:

I could inflate the Redcrest, pop some oily 2* into the 2 horse egg whisk and offer lifts frae Embro. Tin hats might be needed for the Sighthill bit.

May I suggest that choosing a place that is a nightmare to get to/from by pubic transport for everyone, while terribly fair, ain't as good as a place that inconveniences a minority but is easy for the majority. So perhaps first a rough idea of who wants to and which corner of the land they find easiest? Then there is the wee matter of the date and the actual hostelry to which we wish to give our valuable custom.

For me it is the east central lowlands and not the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Marisca (checks brain for other signs of the onset of doolalyness) regarding east central lowlands, however defined, as the general area. I have no principled objection to jumping on a train or bus to somewhere with a decent pub within, say, 5-10 minutes of the bus-stop or station. Stirling / Linlithgow perfectly acceptable. The Doric in Market Street is about as close to Edinburgh Waverley as you can get and has a pub downstairs and a fancier bit (wine bar one side, bistro the other) upstairs. I suggest sometime between 28 Nov and 10th December, preferably a weekday evening.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:26 pm

I would agree - anywhere within MSD of a station.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Ocklepoint wrote:I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling

Well, of course, the Settle Inn would suit me fine (except for Wednesdays when we settle in for the haun' knitted traditional music - gets a bit crowded then). The Doric beside Waverley Station would be an excellent venue. Good food in the restaurant, and I like the downstairs bar.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:40 am

cpedw wrote:
ubergeekian wrote:

It's quite a way from Ratho Station and the trauma from jumping out of a Scotrail express can put you right off your pint!

Easy to get to by bus, as the two stations at Ratho closed in 1931 and 1950. However, you make a good point.

I have a vague memory of a nice canalside place at Linlithgow too.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:34 pm

The Doric sounds attractive.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Trouble is, it's a bad time of year for having a drink as the pubs tend to be full of amateurs.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 pm

How about the FCYC?

Coming from the south side I'll be boring and suggest Embra again to avoid having to spend longer travelling than drinking.
we can be heroes

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Ocklepoint wrote:Have we reached that time of the year when we discuss a seasonal refreshment?

I seem to remember conversation last year about reaching out from Tramtown to embrace the central swathe of our fine country.

If some knowledgeable person were to suggest a public house, with decent beer, the likelihood of seats being available and within 5 minutes walk from a station....................

I have happy memories of quirky hostelries at the top of Upper Bridge Street in Stirling, I believe they even have pubs in Falkirk and then there's Linlithgow, you must be able to get a drink there.

Suggestions.

Apparently the 'Black Bitch' in Linlithgow is a goodun.
Though havent tried a pint of their white headed black stuff yet.
C_W

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Living in W Lothain (but normally sailing on the west coast only), Linlithgow is real handy, about 10 mins away!
Geoff
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:16 pm

1. Friday nights
2. Saturday nights
3. Wednesday nights

I suspect the Bridge Inn may be a Bridge too far
and it maybe above and beyond to ask the August Silkie
to journey into Embra and then further out again.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Wednesday or Friday would be my order of preference.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Return to “Shooting the breeze”