Boat for solo circumnavigation

Forum for general cruising topics
sailracing11
Midshipman
Boat Type: Far55

Boat for solo circumnavigation

Postby sailracing11 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi, im new on here, im researching the best boat for a solo circumnavigation, single handed, non-stop, ive recently being looking at Aluboats..however he budget is is about EUR 100,000 , and would like to know your thoughts....

preferences on the basics
roller furling,
in mast furling ( i know this is expensive and sometimes unreliable), but preferable to lazy jacks...

size - assuming atleast 43 feet would be the best size to go for...(there have been circumnavigations in smaller boats, currently a frenchman doing it in a MiniTransat...)

been looking at Aluboat, Swan, Najads, Jenneau, PacketIsland

thanks in advance,

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Re: Boat for solo circumnavigation

Postby ParaHandy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:16 pm

you've come to the right place. The Claymore.DK is the stretched danish version. There is only 1 in existence and that's green but at £100,000 the current owner will fling in the cabin boy, von Carlsberg.

The steering is a lot better than an Island Packet and, indeed, I'd put money on the .DK getting you there compared with an IP ... erm ... unbiased opinion, ken ...

Little Five
Able Seaman
Boat Type: sabre 27

Postby Little Five » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 pm

sailracing11 wrote:Hi, im new on here, im researching the best boat for a solo circumnavigation, single handed, non-stop, ive recently being looking at Aluboats..however he budget is is about EUR 100,000 , and would like to know your thoughts....

preferences on the basics
roller furling,
in mast furling ( i know this is expensive and sometimes unreliable), but preferable to lazy jacks...

size - assuming atleast 43 feet would be the best size to go for...(there have been circumnavigations in smaller boats, currently a frenchman doing it in a MiniTransat...)

been looking at Aluboat, Swan, Najads, Jenneau, PacketIsland

thanks in advance,

You don't say if the budget of 100,000 is to buy the boat or buy and equip it for your circumnavigation. It will make an enormous difference.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:29 pm

An odd post.

Why 43 feet? Why in-mast furling? See my Biscay 4th time round post re. in-mast furling - I wouldn't have it on a boat I was singlehanding offshore.

Jeanneaus have nothing in common with Swans - or Ovnis - so not really narrowing it down much. Why not make a list of characteristics you find desireable and let people suggest boats that might fit the bill.

My main requirements would be solid lay-up and high AVS/STIX number - everyth8ing else is up for grabs. Mind you, many OVNIs have circumnavvigated, and thtey ahve a relatively low AVS, so really nothing is set in stone.

With £100k I would budget £60k for the boat and the rest for gear / expenses.
- Nick 8)

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:47 pm

With 100k he could use CalMac :D

Return to “Shooting the breeze”