Granton Etc

Forum for general cruising topics
Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Granton Etc

Postby Rowana » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm

Would I be able to lie afloat in Granton at low water?
Would I want to go there?
Where else to visit round the Forth for a 1.4m draft fin-keeler?

I'm considering a wee trip sooth for a change?
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Granton Etc

Postby Silkie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Some information here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6117
different colours made of tears

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Rowana wrote:Would I be able to lie afloat in Granton at low water?

Queensferry - Port Edgar.

The area aound Granton YC's a bit delapidated. I don't recall seeing one fin-keel being re-launched earlier this year but that's not gospel .... a bit exposed as well?

(ashually, the whole of Granton's a bit of a dump)

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:01 am

ParaHandy wrote:

Queensferry - Port Edgar.

The area aound Granton YC's a bit delapidated. I don't recall seeing one fin-keel being re-launched earlier this year but that's not gospel .... a bit exposed as well?

(ashually, the whole of Granton's a bit of a dump)

What utter ballox! Granton is a bit decayed-industrial but there are plenty of boats afloat there and shelter is OK. This time of year the pontoon is usually chokka with Dutch and Germany boats many pretty big, I'm not certain what the minimum depth is now but I think it's something like 2.5m. You could get into Port Edgar, Pitenweem (ask nicely first) and Eyemouth which is very pleasant. In settled weather at neaps you would also be OK alongside the outer breakwater at Anstruther.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Duffer
Midshipman

Postby Duffer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 am

North Queensferry - alongside the westerly of the two piers you can safely dry out in a fin keel. You will settle into deep mud (8-10ft deep) and should be fine to get in 3-4 hrs either side of high water on springs - more on neaps. It is very exposed if there are easterlies though so wouldn't try then. No facilities currently, but the village has a couple of good pubs, nice restaurant, coffee shop and shop. I live there and did it many times in my old boat - with 1.8m draft.

Charlestown is the same, but you can only get in around probably 1-2 hrs either side of high tide but again mud is very deep and fin keels will settle upright quite happily. Again, a few pubs and shops between Charlestown and Limekilns (easy walk) plus some interesting walks around the old lime workings.

Dunbar and Anstruther (in the inner harbour) also on neaps should be fine - we did go on the bottom in Anstruther but there was enough water still to hold the boat upright.

We did try the West but at the end of the day when it comes to it the 1.5-2hr drive just cannot win over a 3 minute row from the bottom of the garden :D

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Up a Hill wrote:What utter ballox! Granton is a bit decayed-industrial but there are plenty of boats afloat there and shelter is OK. This time of year the pontoon is usually chokka with Dutch and Germany boats many pretty big, I'm not certain what the minimum depth is now but I think it's something like 2.5m. You could get into Port Edgar, Pitenweem (ask nicely first) and Eyemouth which is very pleasant. In settled weather at neaps you would also be OK alongside the outer breakwater at Anstruther.

With respect, no it isn't blx. The pontoon you refer to accomodates the pilots at the "deep end" and RFYC at the other. Nothing moves in this place at low water .. ffs the least depth into the place is 0.2m and springs are 0.7m. Avoid in a Northerly. If you like being locked into a barbed wire compound then Granton's fer you.

Apart from Port Edgar, and even there its not that sheltered, fekking Eyemouth has a bar at its entrance that'll shake you to bits if you time it wrong and, unless you are in danger, you'll get at best a grudging welcome and at worst a bucket of old mackeral innards at the Fife coast fishing ports like Pitenween.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 pm

ParaHandy wrote:
Up a Hill wrote:What utter ballox! Granton is a bit decayed-industrial but there are plenty of boats afloat there and shelter is OK. This time of year the pontoon is usually chokka with Dutch and Germany boats many pretty big, I'm not certain what the minimum depth is now but I think it's something like 2.5m. You could get into Port Edgar, Pitenweem (ask nicely first) and Eyemouth which is very pleasant. In settled weather at neaps you would also be OK alongside the outer breakwater at Anstruther.

With respect, no it isn't blx. The pontoon you refer to accomodates the pilots at the "deep end" and RFYC at the other. Nothing moves in this place at low water .. ffs the least depth into the place is 0.2m and springs are 0.7m. Avoid in a Northerly. If you like being locked into a barbed wire compound then Granton's fer you.

More "ballox"

The pilots use their own access from the north end of the Middle Pier in the east harbour. They do not use the pontoon
The pontoon is jointly owned by the Royal Forth and the Forth Corinthian Yacht Clubs
True, you are likely to dry upright into the very soft silt if alongside the pontoon at its southern end but efforts are being made to dredge this area
There are deep water moorings in the west harbour
True the pontoon is secure and there is some barbed wire around the top of the pontoon gateway enclosure.
And true you can catch a city bus from the top of the pontoon into Tramtown

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Duffer wrote:North Queensferry - alongside the westerly of the two piers you can safely dry out in a fin keel.

Well yes but as a visitor why would you want to do that when Port Edgar is about 10 minutes away. Oh yes I remember it's free, fair enough.

para handy wrote:ffs the least depth into the place is 0.2m and springs are 0.7m
...... Apart from Port Edgar, and even there its not that sheltered, fekking Eyemouth has a bar at its entrance that'll shake you to bits if you time it wrong and, unless you are in danger, you'll get at best a grudging welcome and at worst a bucket of old mackeral innards at the Fife coast fishing ports like Pitenween.

With equal respect, more nonsense I'm afraid. Charted depth at the pontoon is 1.2m and the height of LW at springs is typically 0.1-0.4m which could certainly have a 1.4m draft yacht resting in the mud for a couple of hours but is hardly the disaster you suggest. I was there 2 weeks ago and can confirm the depth at the pontoon as a couple of metres or so. That was my first visit for some time but I have berthed a 72'ketch with 2m draft there a few times (both before and since the pontoon was installed) and have been using Granton since 1964.

There is no bar in the proper sense at Eyemouth. There is a narrow entrance known to locals as The Canyon and swell from the N can certainly make the entrance unsafe. Pittenweem has a most helpful harbourmaster who will, while not encouraging such visits, accomodate yachts when there is space (usually there is) in a perfectly friendly and welcoming fashion so long as you have the courtesy to call up in advance of your visit.
Cheers
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Sorry, I'd not realised that Granton was the Hamble of the North and the barbed wire is to keep the nutters in ...!!

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:09 pm

ParaHandy wrote:

Sorry, I'd not realised that Granton was the Hamble of the North and the barbed wire is to keep the nutters in ...!!

That'll be 'resorting to abuse' then?
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Little Five
Able Seaman
Boat Type: sabre 27

Postby Little Five » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Although I now live in Ireland I am sorry to hear that Granton doesn't appear to have improved since I used to sail there 40 years ago. A capsize was dreaded due to the untreated sewage and the subsequent days of illness. It was a dump then with gangs roaming the streets, outnumbered only by scruffy dogs with no owners insight. Anyone carrying a buoyancy aid was fair game and we became fleet of foot. The whole area was dodgy then and from the remarks about barbed wire sounds the same. Shame

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Up a Hill wrote:That'll be 'resorting to abuse' then?

No .. RFYC web site: "The yard is locked and protected by barbed wire and CCTV."

Ok, if I'm being accused might as well get properly done for: your's and yer pal's is a typical Edinburgh attitude of hold yer nose and look up and you'll miss the stink of shoyte on the ground.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 am

ParaHandy wrote:
Up a Hill wrote:That'll be 'resorting to abuse' then?

No .. RFYC web site: "The yard is locked and protected by barbed wire and CCTV."

Ok, if I'm being accused might as well get properly done for: your's and yer pal's is a typical Edinburgh attitude of hold yer nose and look up and you'll miss the stink of shoyte on the ground.

I tak it that ye're nae ower fond o' Embra then Para. :!:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Rowana wrote:I tak it that ye're nae ower fond o' Embra then Para. :!:

Athens of the North? - more like all fur coat and no knickers

I really should and do apologise for the last "shoyte" remark; unwarranted as I know neither. However, their stout defence of Granton is misplaced, in my opinion.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm

ParaHandy wrote:Athens of the North? - more like all fur coat and no knickers

A colleague off to do a job in Greece once remarked that he was off to 'the Edinburgh of the South'. It didn't catch on :wink:
- Nick 8)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”