Sahona Holed

Forum for general cruising topics
Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Sahona Holed

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 pm

sahona wrote:Thanks for that Ian.
Going slightly tangential; has anybody actually seen the CeeGee using CG99 information ?
We've been registered since 2006, when we came back to UK, but I still get asked all the same questions.( colour,type, size of boat, name address etc.)
I wonder why they didn't give us a unique registration number which we could quote/display(or use MMSI).
In fact MMSI/ATIS seems the answer as the radio will send it, and they would have all the inormation at their fingertips, if not automatically, due to clever computers, which of course are in place, now the centres are to be closed...
There must be someone on here who knows how it's (CG99) actually used. - Anyone?

Did you send out a dsc stress signal or a voice call?
I inadvertantly and without knowing sent a dsc stress two years ago while programming in my mmsi on the dsc radio, the cg were on the blower very quickly but they did not know which vessel they were addressing (even though I and HB are registered in the cg99) and to add to the confusion they could not hear my voice reply due to my position, thankfully Gordonmc heard and relayed.
Later I phoned the CCG office and asked why my cg99 details werent to hand.
I was told something to the tune of, a dsc stress alert does not automatically bring up the info on their pc and they would have to manually enter the mmsi to find the vessels details which could take longer than asking over the blower.
C_W

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:15 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:{snip}
I was told something to the tune of, a dsc stress alert does not automatically bring up the info on their pc and they would have to manually enter the mmsi to find the vessels details which could take longer than asking over the blower.
C_W

The marvels of modern technology, eh?

I'm completely underwhelmed!
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:48 am

Well, you don't have to be a nerdy systems designer to figure out what could/should happen if technology was fully utilised.
As I said earlier, maybe this CG shake-up (if/when it happens) will allow them to implement some good new stuff, which in turn will come into it's own when all of us have got off our bahoochies and invested in our share of the (DSC) technology.

No, Eamon, we didn't use DSC, it doesn't come instinctively to me yet, in fact, the thought never crossed my mind.
I keyed the mike, and the only thought was for a quick answer, which thankfully came.
Also, the kind gentleman on the other end wasted no time in providing a pump, which is all I asked for.
I would guess we "wasted" about 45secs passing info, - lat/long etc but it didn't affect the outcome.

So what I'm really saying here, is the voluntary CG99 excercise superfluous?
Could extra info (like a photo for ease of casualty ID) not be added to the existing MARS database?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Newbridge Voyager

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 am

sahona wrote:Could extra info (like a photo for ease of casualty ID) not be added to the existing MARS database?

Most definitely… (good idea Bill)…. as the Troon Inshore was launched to a vessel in distress off Lady Isle a couple of years ago… & as I was in the vicinity they came straight for me!? (could be a bag of worm here)… so I had to wave / direct them to the causality (one of John & Cathy’s pals).
But as for myself… well…. I was having one of the best sail’s in a long time coming back from Arran….on a run under main alone & we made it back in 3 ¼ hours…. my record to date… and never come close since.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 am

sahona wrote:Well, you don't have to be a nerdy systems designer to figure out what could/should happen if technology was fully utilised.
As I said earlier, maybe this CG shake-up (if/when it happens) will allow them to implement some good new stuff, which in turn will come into it's own when all of us have got off our bahoochies and invested in our share of the (DSC) technology.

No, Eamon, we didn't use DSC, it doesn't come instinctively to me yet, in fact, the thought never crossed my mind.
I keyed the mike, and the only thought was for a quick answer, which thankfully came.
Also, the kind gentleman on the other end wasted no time in providing a pump, which is all I asked for.
I would guess we "wasted" about 45secs passing info, - lat/long etc but it didn't affect the outcome.

So what I'm really saying here, is the voluntary CG99 excercise superfluous?
Could extra info (like a photo for ease of casualty ID) not be added to the existing MARS database?

Understand what you are saying Bill, but how long would it take to actually get a copy of the photo into the hands of the coxwain of the rescue vessel or a vessel in the vacinity which was requested to or volunteered to go to the assistance if the casualty?
C_W

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:19 pm

That's not the point Eamon, although it would only take milliseconds with the sat-tech already in existance.
If the CG, who is the co-ordinating body, has the info immediately to hand, he can go straight onto Chan 0 and describe the casualty without having to interrogate a stressed-out, knackered, frightened, gibbering, wreck who's focussed on something else altogether (like staying alive), over a VHF link which may not be up to Ch 0 standard.
The scenario worsens if the only competent radio operator is also the one who is most efficient at keeping the crew safe, and the CG is left to deal with someone who doesn't know what 'topsides' are, how to change channels on the VHF, or doesn't realise it's still on dual watch.
Not talking about Kath here, she can do it all, but I have heard some real doozies over the years - too many war films I guess.
Broadsword calling Danny Boy - Roger, over and out.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Sun Odyssey 40.3

Postby fairy nuff » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep wrote:
sahona wrote:Could extra info (like a photo for ease of casualty ID) not be added to the existing MARS database?

Most definitely… (good idea Bill)…. as the Troon Inshore was launched to a vessel in distress off Lady Isle a couple of years ago… & as I was in the vicinity they came straight for me!? (could be a bag of worm here)… so I had to wave / direct them to the causality (one of John & Cathy’s pals).
But as for myself… well…. I was having one of the best sail’s in a long time coming back from Arran….on a run under main alone & we made it back in 3 ¼ hours…. my record to date… and never come close since.

Is that me you're talking about? (Rope round prop, genoa furler jammed, rising onshore wind, no workboat at marina to nudge me onto a pontoon) - September 08?

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Fairy Nuff,

Your description does sound like the event in question.

I was listening to all the chatter on the VHF & couldn’t see any vessel in distress until I was a lot closer, by which time the Troon Inshore was approaching which I then redirected.

I’ve also had issues with my roller reefing until I reduced down to 6mm rope & no issues since… apart from it’s a bit sore on the hands sometimes…. but I’m ex-RN... so nothing hurts or bothers me….. yeah-right!..... I wish!

CWC for a beer?

OG.

fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Sun Odyssey 40.3

Postby fairy nuff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:50 am

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep wrote:Hi Fairy Nuff,

CWC for a beer?

OG.

Beer sounds good (it always does) but what is CWC?

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 pm

fairy nuff wrote:
Old_Glow_In_The_Deep wrote:Hi Fairy Nuff,
CWC for a beer?
OG.

Beer sounds good (it always does) but what is CWC?

The Cumbrae Watersports Centre..... http://www.nationalcentrecumbrae.org.uk/

Many of us hope to be there on 16/09/11 for the Clyde Scuttlebutt Muster..... :D

Return to “Shooting the breeze”