Sahona Holed

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Sahona Holed

Postby claymore » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 am

Billium
our anchor locker drains through under the cabin and emerges into the engine compartment - so we too have a hole that drains out - or in as the case may be....

look at that - managed to mention anchor without getting involved in commenting about the wondrousness of the Bruce ( Aptly named Robert, by the way...) Often to be found bobbing gently to anchor
Aw never mind
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 am

wud youse like tae ask Bill a sensible question like hoo in the name orra wee man wus bill able tae steer a straight course tae Troon wi' orra shoyte hinging aff his keel; if that hud been yersel', yer arms wud aye jings fekking fallen aff wi' orra exershuns ...

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Do you think the dolphin might have been trying to tell you something? Just like flipper used to do :idea:

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Feel I have to ask about something that is bothering me sir.
Would it not be possible to beef up the interior surface of the void at the aft end of the keel moulding, say 10-20 layers of csm/woven roven and lashings of resin all consolidated into one solid mass using rollers, if there is space to work down there?
Would this not strenghten the whole thing up?
Or it could also be added to the full length of the underside of the keel like a shod band on a cart wheel, done in stainless steel or grp laminate.
Just because the forward section of the keel is full of ballast doesent mean that water can not get inside the laminate and silently reek havoc over the submersion period.
Just a thought as I like everything Clyde built and as strong as a brick out house.
C_W

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Gentlemen all,
1. anchor locker drains back to a wee coffer dam in the forecabin. It can get smelly in there, so we don't go, it's like the loft.
2. Steering was done by autopilot, once the Cock of Arran has been rounded it's 118-ish, regardless of what the captain has in his hand.
3. The vigourous tapping of the dolphin's tail did appear to be an attempt at communication, Unfortunately we got our programmes mixed up and asked if Skippy had something to say, Dolly took umbridge and went with the other boat.
4. Once the keel's opened up we'll see what has happened, I'm assured it will be strong by the time they're finished. Personally, I'd like to create a sump within the bilge so I could concentrate the dregs round the pump.

Anyway, this is getting silly - FNS?

Friday Night Syndrome

Have a nice weekend....................................................because you can.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:12 am

Commiserations, but thanks for posting lots of useful stuff about what happened.

It makes me even more glad I have twin cast iron keels as I too have explored the underwater obstructions around our coast & even have several chips in the keels to prove it.

Cleaning her up will be a hard task, but not insurmountable. There is a Centaur in Conway that had failure of a cockpit drain which caused her to sink at her mooring. She was up & about quite quickly & you wouldn't know now that she had ever had a problem.

Very impressed with the faultfinding & repairs - builders' foam, eh? Hmmm, sounds like a good idea. In my Kayaking days, it was de-rigeur to carry Denzo roofing tape & Duct tape for emergency patching during a trip. The Denzo could be applied in the water, the Duct tape required the GRP to be dry but added structural strength.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Bill, just back from Lamlash today , You'll be pleased to know you made front page of the Arran Banner just below news of princess Anne's visit.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Fame at last !
I wrote a wee thankyou note to the good people of Lochranza and I'm told it will be in the Banner on 12th.

That would make those two editions collectors items - betcha didn't get me one!

Kath doesn't seem to think it's good at all, but I'm happy to share a page with HRH any day.

What have I said? - NOT that kind of page....

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:39 am

sahona wrote:Fame at last !
- betcha didn't get me one!

[photobucket][/photobucket]

Betcha I did

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks for that Ian.
Going slightly tangential; has anybody actually seen the CeeGee using CG99 information ?
We've been registered since 2006, when we came back to UK, but I still get asked all the same questions.( colour,type, size of boat, name address etc.)
I wonder why they didn't give us a unique registration number which we could quote/display(or use MMSI).
In fact MMSI/ATIS seems the answer as the radio will send it, and they would have all the inormation at their fingertips, if not automatically, due to clever computers, which of course are in place, now the centres are to be closed...
There must be someone on here who knows how it's (CG99) actually used. - Anyone?

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 am

Arghiro wrote:It makes me even more glad I have twin cast iron keels as I too have explored the underwater obstructions around our coast & even have several chips in the keels to prove it.

I spent some money - and suffered some delays in launching - having a repair done to the bottom of Jumblie's encapsulated keel. I'd only run her aground once, when my anchor chain broke in Blackfarland Bay, so I think the damage was caused by two years of life on a drying mooring in Milford Haven.

I was down there over the weekend and met up with the previous owner who told me that when he bought her she had a similar repair after many years of life on a drying mooring in Essex.

I don't plan to run her aground much more, but I think this winter's job is going to be fitting a shoe along teh full length of the bottom of the keel. It's currently a tossup between greenheart oak and stainless steel.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 pm

I had a look at the damage to Sahona for the first time today, as I had left all the evidence intact for the insurance assessor.
It seems we had a mishap in a squillion, as the boat has settled bang on the only jaggy thing in a bay of soft sand, as the tide fell.
The poor boat smells like a handfull of wet dogs.
Start cleaning down tomorrow, at least there's a decent sized drain now!

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Newbridge Voyager

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

"smells like a handfull of wet dogs"..... classic!...... thanks!.... :lol: (only at the comment / quote..... definitely not at the situation.) :wink:

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 pm

sahona wrote:I had a look at the damage to Sahona for the first time today, as I had left all the evidence intact for the insurance assessor.
It seems we had a mishap in a squillion, as the boat has settled bang on the only jaggy thing in a bay of soft sand, as the tide fell.
The poor boat smells like a handfull of wet dogs.
Start cleaning down tomorrow, at least there's a decent sized drain now!

It's the salt water, never really dries out. Get it all flushed out with as much fresh as possible.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:15 am

Yes that's the plan Ian. Thanks for the Arran Paper by the way.
Sounds like the gearbox may be stuffed, so the engine will no doubt have to come out which will give us access to places that have not seen the light of day since 1978... Just hope there's no-one living down there. (well they'd be drowned by now anyway).

Return to “Shooting the breeze”