Sahona Holed

Forum for general cruising topics
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Re: Sahona Holed

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 am

Some pics from me maybe (once I recall how to photobucket), but you will be amazed by Dolly the performing dolphin as (hopefully) captured by Ash. Unfortunately our box brownie went battery-hungry just at the good bit.
Thanks again for the company Ash and Joan - welcome to the salty Clyde. I bet you won't get a show like that again for a while!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 am

I seem to remember the Robertson family and Robin and Marylin Bailey being sunk by fishy foes - are we being gently led to believe that the dastardly dolphin almost caused the demise of Sahona?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 am

Something for the weeked sir?

You may need one if you've caught a dose of THIS
The remains of the old solly is the brownish thing to the left of the new one.....

Just lucky we carry one, it allowed us to start the engine and power up everything that had died, ie- everything except the electric bilge pump, which is directly connected, but superceded (for the day) by the best wee pump in Arran...

Don't know her name but she goes like stink and is the latest love of my life.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm

claymore wrote: - are we being gently led to believe that the dastardly dolphin almost caused the demise of Sahona?

Oh, no. Dolly's not dastardly, she's a dancer.

The villain of the piece, unfortunately, lived up to it's name - It does what is says on the tin....

We ploughed across the 100-acre field during the nightshift.

It's a 40 pounder, I guess the ground was just too soft (though it felt good when we dug in) or I didn't have enough chain out - 75 feet in a recorded depth of 8. Or both. There was wind funneling down the valley, but I've anchored (successfully!) in far worse.

And I don't want any comments from owners of nasty colonial-made anchors thankyou. I still like mine, I just need a little more practice.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Oh God - an anchoring thread is looming....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Tee-hee

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

This is the reason we lost 1.5 knots off the hull speed on the way home.

probably exascerbated by this (it was just folded over, but it broke off when I tried to straighten it)

One good thing to be noted - possibly, is the fact that the "dizzy barnacle" method of prop antifoul
(ie- SFA) seems to be effective in the Clyde this year.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:54 pm

sahona wrote:Some pics from me maybe (once I recall how to photobucket), but you will be amazed by Dolly the performing dolphin as (hopefully) captured by Ash. Unfortunately our box brownie went battery-hungry just at the good bit.
Thanks again for the company Ash and Joan - welcome to the salty Clyde. I bet you won't get a show like that again for a while!

Our pleasure. Thanks for bringing us Dolly, our first Clyde dolphin. We certainly know the difference between a dolphin and a porpoise now. I must try towing the Avon rub a dub more often - I think that Dolly must have fell in love with it. After we left you, and diverted to Lamlash, she stayed with us until within a nm of the north end of Holy Isle. Nothing so spectacular, but she did a final close pass before she turned back. She must have stayed with us for over 15 nm. I take it that the tail slaps that she demonstrated are normally used to stun fish. Do Dolphins have a territory? Would she have gone back to the Cock of Arran? or would she just continue her travels?

I managed to get one video of her spectacular leaps between Mistral and Sahona - Joan and I have lots of pictures of disturbed water - digital cameras are just too slow for capturing
dolphins.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to post to photobucket - I'm away working in London from Sunday to Wed.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:04 pm

sahona wrote:This is the reason we lost 1.5 knots off the hull speed on the way home.

I assume that Sahona has an encapsulated long keel, with the ballast taking up only part of it, and that the rock has caused a split in the 'hollow' bit. When you consider that the yard will sit a boat on boards which only sit under a small part of the keel, then you must have been very unlucky with position / sharpness of the rock that did the damage, or was there an element of pounding involved?

The primary damage should be relatively easy to repair, but the water damage to the interior must be heart breaking.

Best wishes with the repairs.

Ash & Joan

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:35 pm

sahona wrote: you will be amazed by Dolly the performing dolphin as (hopefully) captured by Ash.

Found a cable but not the patience / ability to edit - this is one video on PB - I have a couple more.

Note that it's about 26 meg, in case you're on a slow connection.

Ash

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Good show! We have seen dolphins swimming alongside but never leaping about, that looks wonderful.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for that stuff Ash, photobucket did something funny when I tried to download that clip. I got girly ads and messages and my anti-nasty soldiers in the computer got very agitated. beware everybody!
It's just that bit of photobucket, as I've been logged in to my account all day.
Looking forward to the other clips when you've got time.
And no - there was no bumping and grinding as Sahona settled, in fact I was tempted to ignore the slight noise.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:35 pm

aquaplane wrote:Good show! We have seen dolphins swimming alongside but never leaping about, that looks wonderful.

She only did it between the two boats - once we had left Sahona, she would swim alongside and come to the surface but never the big leaps. She did that same move quite a few times - we just couldn't record it. I swear that she did one last close alongside swim by to say goodbye before she turned away as we entered Lamlash Bay.

sahona wrote:Thanks for that stuff Ash, photobucket did something funny when I tried to download that clip. I got girly ads and messages and my anti-nasty soldiers in the computer got very agitated. beware everybody!
It's just that bit of photobucket, as I've been logged in to my account all day.
Looking forward to the other clips when you've got time.
And no - there was no bumping and grinding as Sahona settled, in fact I was tempted to ignore the slight noise.

Sorry about the girly ads - I won't mention 'smart google ads' :roll: :roll:

Ash

PS - Largs wifi seems to have taken the huff with me trying to upload so much - will post more links when I have the speed / patience to upload the t'other vids.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Bill
Obviously a very effective repair but how did you do it when she was sitting on her keel?
Did you have to dig away underneath and leave her sitting on either end of the keel?

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Yup.

That part of the pier is lovely hard shingle/pebbles (same thing!!) We had already dug the rudder fitting hole and started working, when Eddie started another dig (Has he ever been on Time Team?) 'cos he didn't believe so much water could come through the skeggy bit - he was right! So Sahona ended up sitting on two piles of pebbles - absolutely no problem at all and I would do it again if neccessary (but please not too soon...) This is where long-ish keels can be useful.

For reference: We're talking about the angle of pier between where the ferry berths at night and the road.
You MUST be clear (to the left/West) of the mooring bollard which the ferry uses (and usually has a white rope left on it) and should have made contact with the local authorities. Apart from wake during the day you will have a good place to effect repairs.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”