DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Forum for general cruising topics
User avatar
So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:46 am
Location: North of 51 deg North

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm

aquaplane wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be a Luddite.

Sometimes I can see the advantage in addopting these new fangled ideas though.

DaveS, with an MMSI number you can call someone on VHF and the message only goes to them from you. When they answer you can chat without anyone else listening in. The set will even beep to tell you there is a message for you much like a moby phone call.

.


When you call another DSC set using the MMSI number, you set the desired working channel before you transmit the call, usually 6,8,72 or 77. When the called person presses the acknowledge button on their set, both sets switch to that working channel automatically, you can be overheard by anyone listening to that working channel. It is only the initial call which is specific to the MMSI.

You can also request a position from another DSC equipped vessel automatically if you know the MMSI, if you have your sets set to auto acknowledge, you can easily keep track of any vessel you are sailing in company without any voice coms.

To use all the functions available easily, a set with a key pad is much easier than those without. Some sets I have come across are not intuitive and have the menus hidden away in the most obscure fashion.

It is worth noting that since the advent of DSC most big ships no longer listen on 16, they do however listen for other ships on 13 which is for bridge to bridge coms. If you are calling a ship on 16 who doesn't respond, try 13.
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

User avatar
Arghiro
Old Salt
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:54 pm
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch
Location: Midlands

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby Arghiro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:29 pm

So_Sage_of_Lorne wrote: (snip)
It is worth noting that since the advent of DSC most big ships no longer listen on 16, they do however listen for other ships on 13 which is for bridge to bridge coms. If you are calling a ship on 16 who doesn't respond, try 13.


Ahh, so I will still be able to arrange my VHF assisted collisions then . . . :tiphat:

None of this rings my bell or floats my boat. I WILL NOT be parting with any more beer tokens until I NEED to! Call me as many names as you like, I don't need the "innovative technology" thank you.

Now kindly remove your foot from my door jamb or feel the pain as I attempt to slam it, VERY HARD!

User avatar
So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:46 am
Location: North of 51 deg North

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:36 pm

They used to say that about Fire and the wheel, then it was the infernal combustion engine, electricity and flight! ;-)
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Julian

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby Julian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Arghiro wrote:None of this rings my bell or floats my boat. I WILL NOT be parting with any more beer tokens until I NEED to! Call me as many names as you like, I don't need the "innovative technology" thank you.

Now kindly remove your foot from my door jamb or feel the pain as I attempt to slam it, VERY HARD!


That was the point of this thread, a bit. With the mass closure of all local CG stations maybe that time is coming...

Out of interest, if you were given a DSC set gratis today, would you fit it?

User avatar
Arghiro
Old Salt
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:54 pm
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch
Location: Midlands

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby Arghiro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Julian wrote:(snip)
Out of interest, if you were given a DSC set gratis today, would you fit it?


That's mighty generous of you Julian, certainly I would :mrgreen: Just leave it with the HM at Caernarfon & I will pick it up next time I'm out.








It's OK, I know you were only asking rhetorically

User avatar
Rowana
Old Salt
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:58 pm
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby Rowana » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:40 am

Arghiro wrote:
Julian wrote:(snip)
Out of interest, if you were given a DSC set gratis today, would you fit it?


That's mighty generous of you Julian, certainly I would :mrgreen: Just leave it with the HM at Caernarfon & I will pick it up next time I'm out.

It's OK, I know you were only asking rhetorically



I have a good idea as to what would happen if someone gave me a DSC set free!

It would probably lie around for quie a few months, then one day when the weather is shyte, in a fit of utter boredom I would fit it in place of the old set. Whould I set up all the fancy functions? Not a hope in hell! Once it was fitted and working, I'd put the kettle on, have a brew and admire my handywork.

Once another few months have passed and the weather was again shyte, I MIGHT get around to setting up the functions if I was completely bored once more.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

User avatar
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace
Location: Body: West Yorks; Boat: Tayvallich
Contact:

Re: DSC, will it become more relevant when the CG is cut..?

Postby aquaplane » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:39 pm

So_Sage_of_Lorne wrote:When you call another DSC set using the MMSI number, you set the desired working channel before you transmit the call, usually 6,8,72 or 77. When the called person presses the acknowledge button on their set, both sets switch to that working channel automatically, you can be overheard by anyone listening to that working channel. It is only the initial call which is specific to the MMSI.


Ohhh, I understood it wrong then, it's not the first time and it won't be the last. Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose I should read the instruction book to see what my radio will do and what it won't.
Once I could get the inshore forecast I lost interest a bit.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.


Return to “Shooting the breeze”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests