Is there a calendar shopt this month.

Forum for general cruising topics
FullCircle
Old Salt

Is there a calendar shopt this month.

Postby FullCircle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 am

I have become addicted to the service, Sorry Nick.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Here you go Jim

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:09 am

- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Is there a calendar shopt this month.

Postby marisca » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:35 am

Aargh! Bavarias, stack packs, lazy jacks and mud - all anathemas to proper sailors. This one ain't going on my desktop!

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am

Nick wrote:.
It's Chrome - just another piece of uppity software that thinks it knows what is good for us. Us web designers hate browsers.

Above quote copied from another thread.

I've just found that with Chrome, a right click didn't bring up the option of Save as Background.

Reverted to IE8.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am

marisca wrote:Aargh! Bavarias, stack packs, lazy jacks and mud - all anathemas to proper sailors. This one ain't going on my desktop!

I like it!

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:00 pm

marisca wrote:Aargh! Bavarias, stack packs, lazy jacks and mud - all anathemas to proper sailors. This one ain't going on my desktop!

Bavarias?

I do like people who blow off without knowing what they are talking about.....

FYI, if you will pardon my manners for correcting you, they are all Jeanneaus, from the Jeanneau Owners Weekend this year, in the legitimate pursuit of our hobby of sailing. In this case, somewhere near where I live.
If you will also pardon my lack of humility, Full Circle is the second boat in this fun chase.

Also, not that you would know it, I am flying the Blumoment Burgee.....

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:37 pm

FullCircle wrote:Bavarias?

Somebody actually likes me!

My apologies! Of course the emblem on the mainsail is that of Jeanneau, nothing like the Bavarian diamond and I am sure there must be other distinguishing features invisible to my untutored eye.

One thought - if you joined the RYA you could get your very own sail number free of charge, then telling the boats apart would be easier.

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:43 pm

marisca wrote:
FullCircle wrote:Bavarias?

Somebody actually likes me!

My apologies! Of course the emblem on the mainsail is that of Jeanneau, nothing like the Bavarian diamond and I am sure there must be other distinguishing features invisible to my untutored eye.

One thought - if you joined the RYA you could get your very own sail number free of charge, then telling the boats apart would be easier.

I prefer not to have the GBR number, its all a bit racy. I have my Hull number 734 on the main, which is a bit old fashioned, but preferable on the eye to me.

Even I can tell the difference between a 12 ton Hillyard and a Wakering 33. I wouldn't be condescending about their chosen leisure craft.
I think it possibly shows you have a bit of an inferiority complex, which you can get professional help for.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Now now chents . . .

FWIW & TAMTW - if newer Jeanneaus are anything like their older brethren they are great fun to sail,and the onses I have partied on have been very nicely appointed down below. One of the nicest boats I have ever sailed fun-wise was a Jeanneau 36 which I delivered a few times between Oban, the Clyde and the Solway.

Next month back to long keels, tan sails and rock - assuming someone sends me a suitably splendiferous pic, or do I have to rake through our Norwegian collection again?
- Nick 8)

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Now now chents . . .

FWIW & TAMTW - if newer Jeanneaus are anything like their older brethren they are great fun to sail,and the onses I have partied on have been very nicely appointed down below. One of the nicest boats I have ever sailed fun-wise was a Jeanneau 36 which I delivered a few times between Oban, the Clyde and the Solway.

Next month back to long keels, tan sails and rock - assuming someone sends me a suitably splendiferous pic, or do I have to rake through our Norwegian collection again?

Obviously you will need to narrow the focus to your locality again Nick.

Sorry that it has turned into a private club.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

More apologies - it has been pointed out to me that the plural of anathema is, of course, anathemata. I regret if I have pricked any forum sensitivities.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm

FullCircle wrote:
Now now chents . . .

Obviously you will need to narrow the focus to your locality again Nick.

Sorry that it has turned into a private club.

Not entirely sure how my response - intended to defuse the situation and pointing out that I personally like jeanneaus - merited your slightly OTT response there Jim. However, in case people are getting too serious here let me point out that I post pics that appeal to me, and that in the past these have included pictures from the Caribbean, Canaries, Azores, Norway, the Norfolk Broads, the Channel and Solent and of course all round the Scottish coast and assorted islands. Boats featured have had long keels and short keels and been of all ages, types, shapes and sizes.

If there has been a preponderance of Scottish photos in the 120 calendars posted so far it is because that is where I mostly sail and most of the photos are mine. I am not, I regret to report, inundated with suitable photos each month, so the majority of them end up being mine. If I receive a photo that I think would make a nice calendar I save it and use it at some future. It has to say something about cruisng, and be of a suitable composition for the calendar element and to display the average number of icons on someone's desktop without looking too cluttered. There is no guarantee that I will use a pic just because I am sent it, and I expect people to be adult enough to deal with that.

Of the suitable photos I have received over the course of the last ten years the majority have been taken in Scottish waters because - for reasons that were never intended and are not entirely clear - there is a preponderance of Scottish sailors among the regular correspondents on here. I have however published various members' photos from a variety of locations, and in fact last month's pic was a Westerly in Wales while this month's is Jim's excellent pic of the East Coast Jeanneau fleet in full cry.

I will continue to publish the best photographs I have at my disposal. As a gneral comment, new yachts and old yachts are equally beautiful if the photo is well-composed. As to the area in which it was taken - I regard that as irrelevant so long as the picture is fit for purpose - and that is a decision that ultimately is mine alone, particularly as I am the one who spends over an hour each month preparing the ten separate images involved and editing the HTML in ten different files.

Now, Marisca, can you please reassure Jim that your tongue was firmly in your cheek, and Jim can you get your foot in the stirrup and swing down from that rather tall horse you seem to be on please? :roll:

Thanks . . .
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 pm

marisca wrote:Of course the emblem on the mainsail is that of Jeanneau.

And there was me thinking that the insignia was the sun of the Leisure marque..... :troll: Image
marisca wrote:One thought - if you joined the RYA you could get your very own sail number free of charge, then telling the boats apart would be easier.

Surely every boat already has a unique identifier – it’s just that owners might not pay to have it on their sails. I’m a member of the RYA, but display V1789 plus the Vega star on my mainsail.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Nick is absolutely right - I am guilty of trollism (not to be confused with troilism!) and suffering from Mondaymorningitis, probably caused by finishing last in yesterday's race to a wheen of lighter boats, wilfully and deliberately set out to bait AWB proponents, just 'cos I could. Such TOP-like behaviour on this forum makes me ashamed and I shall, in future, confine such activities to TOP. Mind you I still am not changing from my present background

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 pm

What's wrong with stackpacks and lazyacks?
They should be issued free with bus passes, as they enable us to continue sailing long after we are able to wrestle with flogging Egyptian cotton/dacron.
'Sallright for you guys that sail with a cockpit full of gorillas at your beck and call.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”