historical charts

Forum for general cruising topics
sawdoc
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Offshore 8 metre

historical charts

Postby sawdoc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:39 am

Hi folks,

I am attempting to source one or two historical charts as display pieces - no navigational use but nice if there is historical navigational data. Main area of interest would be western coast of Ireland. An archaeologist friend was showing me old french admiralty charts of the irish coast prepared in the napoleonic era - really handsome work! Appreciate any suggestions for sources - google does not seem to helpful on this query.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: historical charts

Postby Telo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:15 am

Hi Sawdoc. We've picked up quite a few of the old Admiralty charts with the beautiful line drawings and depths in feet and fathoms. They're basically 19th century, with the odd blob of 20th century magenta to indicate lights etc.

You could try Marine Chart Services; their cancelled charts are £3.35 a shot, and ye olde here be dragons ones (aniques and collectibles) a little bit more.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 am

Lots available to view at the National Library of Scotland website http://www.nls.uk///maps/coasts/index.html (but mainly of Scotland) and they will send you copies at very reasonable cost.

sawdoc
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Offshore 8 metre

Postby sawdoc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 am

Thanks Shard and Alan for the replies - i will give both links a view. There is something really relaxing about reading an old chart at your leisure ( with no impending life or death situation looming!!)

Tony :tiphat:

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 am

sawdoc wrote:Hi folks,

I am attempting to source one or two historical charts as display pieces - no navigational use but nice if there is historical navigational data. Main area of interest would be western coast of Ireland. An archaeologist friend was showing me old french admiralty charts of the irish coast prepared in the napoleonic era - really handsome work! Appreciate any suggestions for sources - google does not seem to helpful on this query.

I have an old chart (150 years old?) of Scotland framed. It was given to me as a pressie but hasn't been on the wall for yonks. I'll ask the missus for permission to dispose of it. No promises as she's a hoarder.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”