Empire of the Seas

Forum for general cruising topics
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Empire of the Seas

Postby Silkie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying this and hope you are all watching. The first two episodes are still available on the BBC iplayer.

There was something vaguely familiar about the presenter Dan Snow and a google revealed that he is the youngest son of that sailing sultan of the swingometer Peter Snow. Despite the nautical upbringing (and his father claims he has his Yachtmaster) he does talk some utter ballcocks about hardware being ripped out of the deck if you have too much sail up. Such a thing would certainly never happen on the good ship Silkie. :oops:
different colours made of tears

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Re: Empire of the Seas

Postby lady_stormrider » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Also it's handily repeated on a Saturday night. Useful when going out in Glasgow for a drink.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

sawdoc
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Offshore 8 metre

Postby sawdoc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Good series - I enjoyed the episode i saw recently. Good to see the presenter obviously into sailing himself.

Julian

Postby Julian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Silkie wrote:I'm thoroughly enjoying this and hope you are all watching. The first two episodes are still available on the BBC iplayer.

There was something vaguely familiar about the presenter Dan Snow and a google revealed that he is the youngest son of that sailing sultan of the swingometer Peter Snow. Despite the nautical upbringing (and his father claims he has his Yachtmaster) he does talk some utter ballcocks about hardware being ripped out of the deck if you have too much sail up. Such a thing would certainly never happen on the good ship Silkie. :oops:

Apparently and on the contrary to your posting above, in some places we are supposed to hate the Snow family and hate the program and hate just about everything the bbc has ever done. In fact, we are meant to hate the relationship between a father and his son too.. Ye gods there are some forums, ok, there is one forum on the web which really makes me cringe and rather embarrassed to be British.

Oh yeah, I too am really enjoying the series, I like the format, I really enjoyed his last full series on battles in the 20th century. Ok, it may be a little lightweight in places (there I go again, miserablitusybw is catching) but then I will pick up a book and gain better knowledge that way. He is presenting a particularly difficult subject to make interesting, especially for people who have no previous interest in our history, with no film to pull from the archives etc. I for one have learnt a great deal and am looking forward to the final programs. Long live the bbc.

p.s. I hope Andrew Marr makes some more political history programs..

Julian

Postby Julian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:12 pm

sawdoc wrote:Good series - I enjoyed the episode i saw recently. Good to see the presenter obviously into sailing himself.

Any idea what the yacht he was sailing was, the one which looked like (and apologies for this) she had wood effect formica top-sides.. I thought it looked.. well I didn't like it, but er indoors took the opposite view and thought it beautiful and wanted one..

jees, I can't even tidy up the rubbing-strake on ours, the least wood as possible for me, plastic-fantastic-bastic!

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:12 pm

I agree with your sentiments on wood v plastic and I didn't like the look of the yacht in the second episode either but for slightly different reasons. If you are going to build a double-diagonal (I assume) strip-planked hull and varnish the topsides why would you paint a big white stripe around it under the gunwhale?

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

That one he was sailing (off France, Quiberon Bay?) in the last episode was a Sunsail boat, presumably from the Solent.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Hmm. On closer inspection it does look a lot like Formica and not at all like strip-plank construction.

Julian

Postby Julian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am

Taken some screen dumps.. no way is this sunsail :!:

Any ideas anyone? She IMO is definitely GRP, so the wood (look) has to be cladding, no?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:42 am

Looks to me like some very expensive Italian job, which means, I suppose, it'll be real wood. Millionaires don't do Formica, IMHO.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:40 am

Julian wrote:Taken some screen dumps.. no way is this sunsail :!:

Oh that one, different boat.

I can't decide if I like that one, the wood looks good (if it's someone elses to maintain) but the design looks 1960s/70s and naff.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 am

Looks to be cold molded construction (Strips of thin veneer, layed up and bonded in defferent orientations)?
I'm not sure if I'm keen on the look though :shock:

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 am

Looks similar to the stuff Amel use so it won't be cheap.

Quite common to see the white stripe on wood strip planking/moulded boats. There is a beautiful yacht in Fleetwood - Amoress - done like that
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 am

The ropes on the deck in the last shot look a bit cheesy

:lol:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Julian

Postby Julian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Rowana wrote:The ropes on the deck in the last shot look a bit cheesy

:lol:

I do that with our sheets.. though only when we are tied up. It allows you to stand on them, put bags down etc. etc.

It isn't cheesy, I think it makes sense personally.

J

Return to “Shooting the breeze”