Cost of Marinas on the Clyde

Forum for general cruising topics
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Cost of Marinas on the Clyde

Postby ash » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 pm

This post is prompted by the recent additions to the Welsh mooring costs thread.

Ardlui send out their newsletter and updated list of marina costs in January, and this usually has me searching the web for comparisons. This doesn’t usually work very well as websites aren’t always updated.

This year I sent an email to various Clyde marinas asking for prices for a Step Aboard Pontoon Berth for a 12 month contract for a Vega,
8.25 M LOA, 2.49 M Beam, 1.17 M Draft, 2.3 Tonnes Design Weight, Long Keel

Range of costs, VAT included, as follows

Ardlui…………...£1,938.75
Clyde…..….…….£2,310.00….*
Rhu……...……….£2,586.37
Holy Loch……….£2,653.53
Kip…….……….....£3,213.38….**
Largs……..…..….£3,021.00….***

*…………..Taken from website

**………….Kip offer a 10% reduction for berths on “J” pontoon. I realise that “J” is disadvantaged by a long walk from the shore, but is it also disadvantaged by being close to the marina entrance? – swell / less shelter?

***……….Largs might be wrong. I have taken figures from their website, which says ‘VAT charged at standard rate’ – does that mean that it’s already included or not?

Largs / Troon ( Yacht Haven ) have those wee forms on their sites that you fill in and press send, rather than an email address – this means that you don’t have a record of anything that you send – would much rather have enquiries@ email address.

Ash
Last edited by Silkie on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ash's request.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Re: Cost of Marinas on the Clyde

Postby MrMcP » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Blimey. That's quite scary really.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Ash old boy, I'm only looking at Welsh Wales because of those prices and the fact it takes me 4.5 hours to get to where you are. I would much prefer to use the mooring in Tayvallich for very little or a walk ashore mooring at Tarbert for <£1000 (IIRC).

I think Tarbert is cheaper than Ardlui for annual berths (dear for visitors). If it was between 2 and 3 hours to get to the boat I know where I would be looking, it's the 7 hour drive that puts me off.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:15 pm

You're coming at this from the wrong angle Bob; it's not your boat that needs relocated, it's the rest of your life.
different colours made of tears

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 pm

This is long term - we cannot afford to retire as yet - certainly not with these marina prices!
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Troon Prices here
http://www.yachthavens.com/site/site_rates.aspx?i=3

See what you mean about Vat, not very clear. I would hope those prices would include VAT, if not they're having a laugh. The problem with Largs is it's full so I suppose they can charge what they want.
Also have a look at charges for lift out/in. Largs/Troon will want the mast off (more money) if you don't have your own cradle. Clyde provide you with a very sturdy cradle free of charge all winter if you need it and their charges are a good bit cheaper.
Sailing out of largs is a bit more pleasant some of the time as Clyde can be a bit exposed. Sahona refers to it as the "Ardrossan Triangle"

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Blimey. Full Circle is on a serviced pontoon at 10.7m length in Bridgemarsh for less than £1900 per year. Although Burnham Yacht Harbour is a £2751 inc VAT.

Its dearer there than here, which made my eyebrows lift a millimetre or two.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:06 pm

There are alternative ways of keeping your boat on the Clyde :

Royal Gourock Yacht Club operates a launch service to take members and crew to and from their moored boats. At busy periods such as race events, two launches can be in operation. Detailed below are the costs of keeping a 30 foot (9 metre) boat on a swinging mooring at RGYC from April to September. RGYC clubhouse has changing rooms, showers, a bar and restaurant with a first class chef.

FIRST YEAR
Initial cost of mooring incl laying £850
Crown estates levy £ 35
Club membership fee £ 180 (no entry fee and half price first year)
Total £1065

SUBSEQUENT YEARS
Cost of servicing mooring £110 (lift / clean / inspect / lay)
Crown estates levy £ 35
Club membership fee £ 360
Total £505

This may be out of date as far the the half price offer and subscription rates go but there are definitely benefits at Ashton that you don't get in a marina but then you don't get to walk onto your boat.

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Ogun was on a mooring at RGYC when we first took an interest. Maybe we should have looked into keeping her there instead of hauling her down to Kip..... The kids loved the trip on the launch service when we went down to view her for the first time.

Afrita
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby Afrita » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Troon Prices here

See what you mean about Vat, not very clear. I would hope those prices would include VAT, if not they're having a laugh

The Troon rates include VAT (that's where Afrita lives) so I assume that Largs' do as well. We looked at moving to a mooring, but with the arrival of a baby a walk on mooring is, if not vital, certainly very welcome.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Troon Prices here

I can’t get this link to work.

marisca wrote:There are alternative ways of keeping your boat on the Clyde :

Royal Gourock Yacht Club operates a launch service to take members and crew to and from their moored boats. At busy periods such as race events, two launches can be in operation. Detailed below are the costs of keeping a 30 foot (9 metre) boat on a swinging mooring at RGYC from April to September. RGYC clubhouse has changing rooms, showers, a bar and restaurant with a first class chef

MrMcP wrote:Ogun was on a mooring at RGYC when we first took an interest. Maybe we should have looked into keeping her there instead of hauling her down to Kip..... The kids loved the trip on the launch service when we went down to view her for the first time.

I think that JohnBuch now has his Vega, Fleur at RGYC.

One of the reasons for going to the expense of a pontoon berth is that the grandkids are frequent crew and they like the freedom of jumping on and off the boat. Mind you, they also enjoy rowing the dinghy and they would be over the moon with an outboard.

aquaplane wrote:I think Tarbert is cheaper than Ardlui for annual berths (dear for visitors). If it was between 2 and 3 hours to get to the boat I know where I would be looking, it's the 7 hour drive that puts me off.

I’ve previously looked at prices at Craobh Marina, Kerrera but not Tarbet.
The west coast would be another stage on – once we’re semi retired.

Thanks to everyone for help and info – keep it coming.

Ash

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:53 pm

I'd bet that Portavadie would be cheaper than Tarbert.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Pete Cooper wrote:I'd bet that Portavadie would be cheaper than Tarbert.

Haven't found an up to date price yet.

Their 2009 monthly rate for 12 months would be £2425.50 for the Vega.

Ash

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 pm

ash wrote:I think that JohnBuch now has his Vega, Fleur at RGYC.

One of the reasons for going to the expense of a pontoon berth is that the grandkids are frequent crew and they like the freedom of jumping on and off the boat. Mind you, they also enjoy rowing the dinghy and they would be over the moon with an outboard.

That was part of the reason for us shipping to a marina - kids can have a bit more freedom. Then during WHYW in Tobermory, it turned out they are far happier rowing themselves around in the dinghy on the end of a 40m floating line than heading ashore.....

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 am

MrMcP wrote: it turned out they are far happier rowing themselves around in the dinghy on the end of a 40m floating line than heading ashore.....

My crew have now cast off the floating line. I'm sure that I have a more up to date photo, but can't find it. This is from July 2006.

Ash

Return to “Shooting the breeze”