WHYW 2010

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

WHYW 2010

Postby marisca » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Postie skited down the path to deliver the 2010 West Highland Yachting Week Notice of Race today. An' I haven't even lifted the boat out for winter yet!

Get your entries in early.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: WHYW 2010

Postby Aja » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Possibly a bit late in noticing but some nice pictures of Marisca in last edition of yachting Life.

Regards
Donald

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Undecided yet whether to do some or all of the races. We went for the whole thing on the basis on much early interest, then were quite badly let down by crew as the week approached, ending up doing most of it 2-handed or with the kids in tow so needing close attention. In the end we did all the passage races and none of the cans.

Either way, we'll be there for at least some of it....

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Aye, it seems easy to find people who are keen on WHYW at this time of year. They seem to evaporate into thin air as August approaches. The passage races don't seem to need the same level of slickness as round the cans until you have a keek at the results and how close the times are. We came 4th in 3 of last year's passage races by 7, 29 and 23 seconds - which after around 3 hours racing rankles a bit. Just a teeny bit more effort and..... The story of my life!

Are you strolling over the Bens in the SIPR this year?

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Were discussing the SIPR today, and think we will throw our hat in the ring again.....seems a shame to get all that experience last year and not try to do something with it. Thoroughly enjoyed the hammering we took in May, and most of the crew are up for it again, so we'll be hanging around the end of the fleet making a nuisance of ourselves and finding all the wind holes that everyone else seems to avoid. Running times should be substantially improved by actually knowing where we're going. Obviously we left out our inbuilt ability to get lost from 'previous experience' section of the runners' entry form last year. I don't think Nick would have approved - he certainly didn't appear impressed with our embarrassingly slow time over Goat Fell.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:49 am

MrMcP wrote: .... then were quite badly let down by crew ....

there appears to be quite a few prospective enthusiastic female would be crew members out there, some of whom are even prepared and able to cook :D
you might be well advised to book them all at this stage to cover some no shows nearer the time.
boozysoozy6, i`m afraid, has called my bluff ( on another thread ), but i would encourage you racing gentlemen to reap any rewards that emerge from my feeble attempts to drum up interest in the crewing position :mrgreen:

Return to “Shooting the breeze”