I watched Highlander again over Christmas

Forum for general cruising topics
Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

I watched Highlander again over Christmas

Postby Alcyone » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 pm

What a stunningly beautiful country most of you live in.

That bit where Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery are swordfighting high up on a mountain (think it was filmed on Skye?). Stunning.

Love Local hero too.

And, I'm not drunk.

:mrgreen:

FullCircle
Old Salt

Re: I watched Highlander again over Christmas

Postby FullCircle » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:47 pm

But not Trainspotting I will wager.

I have happened on a DVD copy of Whisky Galore, which I am looking forward to.

sadlermike
Midshipman
Boat Type: Sadler 32

Postby sadlermike » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm

I watched The Wicker Man. If you think that Sean Connery swordfighting was stunning, you should have seen Britt Eckland's solo naked dance in the Wicker Man!
No idea where on the west coast it was filmed. To be repeated tonight at 10 pm. I'll have to watch it again (with the excuse that I want to try and identify where it was filmed) as my wife won't let me record it.

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:06 pm

think the sword fight was on the Cioch in Sron na Ciche in the Cuillin

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 pm

sadlermike wrote:I watched The Wicker Man. If you think that Sean Connery swordfighting was stunning, you should have seen Britt Eckland's solo naked dance in the Wicker Man!
No idea where on the west coast it was filmed. To be repeated tonight at 10 pm. I'll have to watch it again (with the excuse that I want to try and identify where it was filmed) as my wife won't let me record it.

I believe Chris Lee is Lord Summerisle. I've been to the Summer Isles many times, but I'm not convinced it was filmed there.

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 pm

jim.r wrote:think the sword fight was on the Cioch in Sron na Ciche in the Cuillin

Many years ago I went to a pub on a road above the Talisker distillery. Climbing pub IIRC. There was a picture of that rock there. I do recall the Cuilins being involved, but I thought it was 'cnoc' something. Apologies for my Gaelic.

Julian

Postby Julian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm

sadlermike wrote:I watched The Wicker Man. If you think that Sean Connery swordfighting was stunning, you should have seen Britt Eckland's solo naked dance in the Wicker Man!

It wasn't Britt, she used a body double. Sorry to ruin it for you. (Jane Jackson)

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Alcyone wrote:

I believe Chris Lee is Lord Summerisle. I've been to the Summer Isles many times, but I'm not convinced it was filmed there.

Do they not hold a 'Wicker man' festival in Dumfriesshire on occassions?

Donald

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Aja wrote:

Do they not hold a 'Wicker man' festival in Dumfriesshire on occassions?

Donald[/quote]
'Twas filmed in Wigtown/Port William with the crew barracked in Newton Stewart for the main part. I joined the Galloway Gazette in 1976 and they were still taking about Her Brittness stalking the Cairnsmore Arms and the Cree Lodge.

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Talking of which, there's an inlet South of Kerrera, Loch Feochan, is it? Missis and I were coming back from diving the Garvellachs some years back and we called in there. Somebody hade made one of those wicker man things on a lonely beach. It was a cross between the original Wicker man and something from Blair witch. Freaked us both out.

Summer isles though, what a beautiful place. Found some langoustines on one dive on Tanera Mhor. Good barbeque that day.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”