The other side of the boom

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

The other side of the boom

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Someone wanted to see the other side of the boom after seeing our three reefing lines in the September calendar . . .

Ideally I would fit a slightly longer track and move the third reefing line termination in a couple of inches, but it works fine - the sail sets beautifully flat with the third reef, in fact it lifts the boom a little.

Lines go forward, right angle round a triple block fixed to the boom, down to the deck, round snatch blocks, through deck organisers and back to the cockpit. I still need to go forward to hook a spectacle on the rams horm, but it takes seconds. We can usually get a reef in in less than a minute while continuing to sail under genoa.

Who was it who was interested anyway? I can't find the original post.
- Nick 8)

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Re: The other side of the boom

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:38 am

It wasn't me that was asking but that is clever. Did the boat come like that or did you set it up like so?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 am

It came set up with two reefing lines - we added the third when we got the new mainsail made.
- Nick 8)

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:52 pm

I seem to remember asking for the detailed picture.

I had a third set of reefing points added to my sail this year but have not yet decided how to rig it.

I tried extending the number two line with a light line and then roving it through the top cringle but it was not very satisfactory.

(Yes I know the first reefing line is not properly rigged and that the topping lift is too tight: the sail was meant to be scandalised as I adjusted the reefing lines, and please note the burgee)

What a beautiful day that was.

Here is the "Where is it" that goes with the day

I think the answer to the third reef maybe another block on the track and I quite fancy leading the whole lot back to the cockpit.

Nick you say you only go forward to hook on the sail, does that mean you don't bother tying up the slabs when you reef or is that a whole other thread?

Ocklepoint
Old Salt

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 pm

And before the pedantic get a word in.............

The burgees were on the port side because there was a courtesy flag on the starboard

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Slabs

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:05 pm

I only tie up the slabs if they are annoying me. Quite often with two reefs in on a short passage we don't bother.

Here (longer passage with three reefs in) I have bothered a bit . . . improves the visibility no end. Two or three sail ties usually does it - we don't have any reef points on the sail , just wee cringles.

- Nick 8)

JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Postby JohnBuch » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks Nick, interesting detail. Barton sell a pack for converting to slab reefing - was that what you used? If not how long was the track you used and how long would you have used in retrospect?

ta,

John
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi John,

The track is a Barton track and was on the boom when we got Fairwinds. I haven't measured it, but I reckon it is about 21" long. We just bought a 3rd car, which was fairly easy to source. If I was fitting it from new I would go for a slightly longer track. The important thing is to have a strong aft pull when the reef is in to maintain outhaul tension but not too great an angle as the downpull is then compromised. I guess you are looking for an angle of 45 degrees from the top of the boom to where the reefing line turns or is cleated off (depending on the system).

(Not sure if that makes sense . . . )

The triple pulley at the gooseneck is a bit of a mickey mouse thing - attaching a triple block rigidly to an alloy boom is not easy and I would be ineterested to hear or see how anyone with a similar system has done it.

The single biggest improvement when we got the new sail was the spectacles. Before, we had to take a sail slide out of the mast track to reef and it took ages.
- Nick 8)

Ocklepoint
Old Salt

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 pm

"spectacles?"

A photo perhaps?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Spectacles

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

Reefing spectacles are stainless steel rings on the end of a strong webbing strap which passes through the luff cringle. Hooking on is quick and easy, so you spend minimal time on deck.
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:23 am

Thanks Nick

I certainly asked for the photo - don't have time for more detailed reply - will come later.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:19 pm

This the arrangement on Mistral - It keeps the reefing lines very tidy but as you might imagine, the friction involved in getting the line through 2 x very tight 90degs makes reefing very difficult and slow. I need to sweat the line in but sometimes have to resort to taking the headsail halyard off its winch and using that (the winch - not the halyard! ).

My hope would be that fittting a set of blocks like Nick's will vastly reduce the friction. I would keep the lines on the current side so that I can continue to reef with the mainsail on starboard tack.

Click for bigger images.

Image Image Image

I also have reefing lines on the luff. The luff is pulled down and the line tied off instead of using a hook with or without spectacles. It works well . One advantage is that if the leech hasn't been pulled down fully, then the luff can be allowed to be slightly further up the mast to keep the aft end of the boom at a safe height.

Ash

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Nick / Ocklepoint

What fixings are used on your Barton Slab Reefing thingy? to hold it on to the boom?

I've bought the 1M long / 32mm / 3 block one.

I spoke to MRS today - I was going to get them to fit Rivet Nuts - I would need 12, 10 on the track plus 2 ends - but they suggest that I could just rivet it or tap a thread in the boom wall and use machine screws. The track is 15mm thick and the holes are 6.5mm and are countersunk. The fixings need to be flush to allow the blocks to slide.

TIA

Ash

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Reefing spectacles

Postby Telo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 am

On Nick's recommendation, we ordered reefing spectacles with the new mainsail last year; simple yet clever. Bit like himself really.

Well worthwhile, especially when the wind's getting up.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”