Dopey question

Forum for general cruising topics
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Dopey question

Postby Telo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Alcyone wrote:Passendes Ypsilon? YER-deein oder Sitz Färbung nae Ken passendes? It' s nae jist yersel, so YER nae ein tumshie. Jist haud gan wi' passendes yuv erhielt den noo Loon, das viele thirs nae ower ein passender YER usin' des dee kleinen Stückes; .IE8' Spitze S.-A. oh ein scunner. Cin I Grube ein altes een oh thon Zusatzjobbies aff thon Firefox, thit wid dee eine Spitze o' das Übersetzen… der Spitze passte weitermachen, das ich mich versteckte. Es WIS ein affa Krater oh ein beestie an. Jist warten uns passte YER dee' ab; im ur yil jist beenden Sie oben ein affa sotter.

:lol:

Morningside's like that!

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:03 am

We have elected to stay in this year with heat and dehumidifier, the question I have is, do I remove the sails etc to reduce windage leaveing the boat unsailable, or do I leave the sails on and the boat effectivly in commision?
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:17 am

IMHO you should remove an "e" from leaveing.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am

I am taking the sails off
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:22 pm

claymore wrote:I am taking the sails off

Jings .. no .. the furler winnae work ivver agin, the boll weevils wull hae munched though it, ye'll hae spilled a madras curry oer it .. disaster ... and thon's wi'out hersel disposing of them tae the bring'n'buy or some charity shop

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:10 pm

jim.r wrote:IMHO you should remove an "e" from leaveing.

Sound advice, thanks:)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Thats wee jamesie you've just apologised to - the same wee fat four-eyed fekker who is only mildly coherent on paper - as distinct from in the flesh where ye cannae tell a word he says.
If I was you I'd shame him into an apology and retraction of his post by mentioning your mild dyslexia
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 pm

claymore wrote:If I was you I'd shame him into an apology and retraction of his post by mentioning your mild dyslexia

Dispepsia you say, It's just that I get my muckin words fudled sometimes.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:17 pm

claymore wrote:I've been pondering over whether to leave her in this winter.

The good people at Dunstaffnage marina have saved us all the agonising over this question; they've broken the travel hoist big time so if you're not out now you may still be afloat for Hogmanay. Or they might fix it before then...
Derek

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Hmm, I'd heard it was to be a couple of weeks and thought that a surprisingly long time, even for a marina. Aren't travels hoists relatively simple bits of kit?
different colours made of tears

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Silkie wrote:Hmm, I'd heard it was to be a couple of weeks and thought that a surprisingly long time, even for a marina. Aren't travels hoists relatively simple bits of kit?

I trust the efficient management at Dunstaffnage will have things firmly under control ... infact, I'm sure I saw Euan with a pair of Hydraulic Oil soaked coveralls on and a 2 1/4" spanner in his hand. No, hold on, that was a chequed blazer he had on and a glass of Chablais.................

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 am

Depends on what has failed. Was it the raising/lowering function or the drive?
If I remember correctly, it was a hydraulic drive (and brakes) at the front 2 wheels and a pair of hydraulic rams to a hinged upper platform.
The hydraulic power unit, I presume, was powered by a diesel.
Obviously the problem can't be as simple as burst hoses as that would take 15 minutes to replace a hose (30 mins to make one up).
Diesel Engine failed? (result, no power to drive hydraulic pumps).If it's something major like a sheared crank shaft, surely it wouldn't be difficult to change out the whole unit (with minor mods) for a similar powered unit.

Hyd. pump failure? Worn swash plates/ shattered swash plates? Casing failure on the pump? Scary and potentially lethal - power of hydraulics never ceases to amaze me. Steel will give before fluid will.

Hydraulic ram failure? Seals - no big deal. Bent ram? A little more serious. a lot more expensive. Sheared hinge pins - again, potentiallly lethal.

Hydraulic drive failure? Not familiar with Hydraulic drive systems but the beauty of the system is infinite variabilty of power without the need for a gearbox. Basically, think pump in reverse.

As ever, spares availabilty will probably be the major influence in the time it will take to repair.

Ofcourse, if it is a structural failure in the body of the hoist itself, that's a whole different can of worms.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”