Capsize off Ardnamurchan

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Capsize off Ardnamurchan

Postby claymore » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm

I see squintobaggins has posted of this on ybw

I see no mention of it on this the existential scottish affairs site - are we losing our touch here webmeister?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Capsize off Ardnamurchan

Postby Silkie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:59 pm

I think you will find that we are all quite au fait avec les affaires nautique Ecossais ici. If you would like a news feed to enable you to keep up I'm sure it could be arranged.

I saw the news a while before bb and considered posting. However, after thinking of the type of bunfight which might ensue (and into which bb's thread has now deteriorated) considerations of taste and decency caused me to shrink away from the keyboard.

PS - Not slagging bb - as I said, my first instinct was to post about it.

PPS - I now see you have made one of the few decent posts on the thread. What is the matter with those people?
different colours made of tears

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Silks my ageing fruitbox
You have marked it well. I know I have said this before but I really am out of there now. I thought it was worth another shot but I was wrong.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Totally agree Silkie, disgusting - had to put a reply in, as I was pretty annoyed at the twist the thread took.Who the hell do those lot think they are? A bunch of arrogant, know it all t-ssers with an over inflated sense of self importance.

Right, I'm off to phone "Kylie" ......... should have been home tonight but doing another week :-(

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Just returned, I was in Tobermoray at the time of the incident having just come round the point, it wasn't pleasent, big seas and strong winds, we had trouble getting enough south without being rolled!
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:47 pm

? Just back in circulation. I was in Tob too and saw the lifeboat leave in a terrible hurry, but didn't find out the reason till next morning on the bus to the ferry.

Havn't checked out TOP - not another fuss surely?

Donald

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

MAIB report

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am

The MAIB report on this tragedy is now out:

BBC News summary HERE

Links to synopsis and full report HERE
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Re: MAIB report

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 am

I'd be interested in understanding the decision to cancel the first helicopter. It seems insane to stop a helicopter effectively on it's way to men in the water for such trivial reasons so surely there's more to it. Had sending helicopters out of their precise area caused big problems in the past? Had they calculated that the other helicopter would have actually have got there quicker? For some reason did they think the men were already safe and half an hour or so made no difference? The reported version makes no sense to me.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Re: MAIB report

Postby Alan_D » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

Markie wrote:I'd be interested in understanding the decision to cancel the first helicopter.
[SNIP}
The reported version makes no sense to me.

It did not seem to make sense at the time to either the duty officer at ARCC Kinloss or the crew of R177 at Prestwick, who questioned the decision.

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm

A very clear report of tragic circumstances. It is noted in the report, but bears mentioning again, that the yachts Stormwind - who was first to respond to the mayday relay, and Arran Comrade both showed good seamanship - especially Arran Comrade who rescued the survivor in difficult conditions.
Sailing around this area I often note how far back some of the chart surveys were made. Its something that will be slightly more forward in my mind in future, and my Ardnamurchan chart is maybe due for renewal anyway.
Sailing around mull and further out over the last few seasons I have logged a few maydays, but never had one sent by DSC, I wonder if this would be an additional aid in these circumstances. I understand VHF reception can often be poor in the NW due to land shadows, distances, and I guess even weather affecting yachts reception. I have experienced complete VHF failure of transmission myself several times, but DSC is meant to carry further and be received better. Has anyone received a mayday DSC or mayday relay DSC?

Steve

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:35 pm

One might also question the 25 minute delay in tasking Mallaig Lifeboat.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:30 pm

DSC does work, although I've never been in the borderline position where I get the digital call but can't receive the voice traffic. Theoretically a short burst of digital data with error correction stands a much better chance of being decoded even if it's quite poor reception. also, there's less chance of it being overcalled.
We were in Isle Ornsay during that incident and listened to the whole horrific thing (we have chan0).
It was a very sobering experience.
Reading the report makes me more aware of underwater topography and what it can do to the water at the surface - nothing new really (as long as the chart does show the culprit) I'm just guilty of not looking close enough at the chart, and as a result, have previously found myself in avoidable turbulance. It also highlighted just how quickly these things can happen - our Epirb lives inside, that's going to change.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Julian

Postby Julian » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:32 am

Twice I have been on trawlers where the stern has gone under after the net has gone fast. It happens bloody fast and scared the willies out of me.

Hell of a risk though towing in weather as described in the news article.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”