Clegs and Jellies

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Clegs and Jellies

Postby marisca » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Had a few days drifting round the Clyde this week and was fair scunnered by the number of Lion's Mane jeelies and clegs. Wreck Bay seemed to be some sort of mecca for the clegs and the wee bu$$ers can actually land on and take off from still water - luckily they are not that fast but their shore-to-boat range seems a fair bit greater than the midge. Kilbrannan Sound, Lochranza (friendly welcome - yes, really! - in the Hotel), and the no-man's sea between Arran and Bute were littered with the jellyfish ranging from wee tiddlers to fair sized, long tendrilled yins - must get a new pair of marigolds for anchor chain lifting.

Is it true that clegs thrive on Avon Skin So Soft?

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Clegs and Jellies

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 pm

marisca wrote:Is it true that clegs thrive on Avon Skin So Soft?

No, in fact its another Bute,y product, 'Cowshit'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Once knew a farmer who nearly bathered himself to death trying to keep them off his face.
C_W

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:16 am

marisca wrote:Had a few days drifting round the Clyde this week and was fair scunnered by the number of Lion's Mane jeelies and clegs. Wreck Bay seemed to be some sort of mecca for the clegs and the wee bu$$ers can actually land on and take off from still water - luckily they are not that fast but their shore-to-boat range seems a fair bit greater than the midge. Kilbrannan Sound, Lochranza (friendly welcome - yes, really! - in the Hotel), and the no-man's sea between Arran and Bute were littered with the jellyfish ranging from wee tiddlers to fair sized, long tendrilled yins - must get a new pair of marigolds for anchor chain lifting.

Is it true that clegs thrive on Avon Skin So Soft?

And they did not try to charge you for a mooring in the Lochranza Hotel???????????? You must not have been wearing sailing gear!

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:06 am

Bit surprised at the reports about money grabbing in Lochranza, I was there last week and picked up a mooring, a couple came along selling raffle tickets for the moorings.

They didn't demand and it seemed that they would have been happy if I had only asked for a pounds worth.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:43 am

There was an honesty box at the head of the pontoon with a notice suggesting the size of donations for short and day stays (no overnights). I must admit it never occurred to me to pay for the blue mooring - I didn't pay when they were HIDB laid but that must be a few years ago now. As I can't actually think of any free moorings, other than hotel/restaurant laid ones, I now feel a pang of guilt

As for the hotel - I have maligned the welcome in the past but there seemed to be a much lighter feel to the place this time, the craic was good but my impression may have had something to do with the "Arran Milestone" beer - not conducive to getting back to the boat! The lifejacket I was carrying might have been a clue to my mode of transport but there was absolutely no mention of mooring payment. A couple of the boats on blue moorings had no sign of life and may have been associated with the dinghies drawn up well above high water.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:09 am

Sorry was not suggesting that there is any charge for the visitor moorings.

However the hotel has been known seeing folk wearing sailing gear. To ask if they were on the visitor moorings and then say they collect the fees for council or whatever. When of course there is no charge for moorings.

Glad to see this practice has stopped and a more welcoming atmosphere in the hotel.

Did you have the steak pie? If so was it as good as before?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”