Great weather for sailing

Forum for general cruising topics
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Great weather for sailing

Postby Telo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 pm

I was out for a few days but had to come back on Thursday night (dental appointment....).

Of course, coming back then meant that I've missed several days of beautiful weather, but it was nice enough last Wednesday - shorts and shirtless for a while while tacking down the Sound of Mull. Not so sure about light winds though - was a NE F6 most of the way back from Loch Aline to Dallens Bay on Thursday.

There were four other yachts at anchor in Droma Buidhe, two in Loch Aline, none in Duart Bay...

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Pleased you enjoyed yourself. How far north did you get? I hope to have the boat in the water next week and get some good sailing in during May. I was sailing on Loch Ness last Sunday, which was good.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Myself and the family crew had a great day out yesterday despite the lack of wind motorsailed down around little Cumbrae and back up to the Cumbrae centre pontoon where we lazed around for a few hours before dropping them back at Largs and returning to my mooring.
Did get a little angry when I discovered that one of them broke the eber control switch rendering it unusable.
While alongside the outside of the Cumbrae pontoon there came a fast power/speed boat heading north along the east side of Cumbrae and when it was aprox 1 cable from the pontoon made a full speed 180 degree turn across towards Largs marina creating a huge wash which gave us a battering, I still cant understand why he took that course but it seems it was to deliberatly cause the wake and its consequences, dident manage to get the name, but I have tought up of a few names for him/her!

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:46 pm

We went to the good ship Chiron Good Friday and had a fantastic few days on Windermere, cold but clear and bright. It was a tad brisk on Wednesday when my eldest and the Grandson joined us, it's never a good sign when the rigging shrieks, ho hum.
Had a belting sail on Fiday though, the wind was still strong but not violent. Last W/E was still sunny but the edge was off the cool wind, it was tropical on Sunday before we came home.

My old folks thought it was cold in Tarbert, "a biting wind for the last 3 weeks" was reported tonight.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 am

"When is your target time for getting back in the water in your parts of Great Britain?"

My boat has been in the water all winter, so I was able to enjoy some beautiful sailing in even the New Year week.

Lift in day for our club was 4 April and the other club who share our harbour, Granton sur Forth, are lifting in next weekend.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 am

hardy wrote:When is your target time for getting back in the water in your parts of Great Britain?
:D

I take the boat out of the water for a week or so mid May, she stays in the rest of the time, every third year she comes ashore for the winter. I don't like polishing and antifoaling when its cold!

Had a brilliant weekend, culminating with a circumnavigation of Luing on Sunday. :)
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:45 am

Yup, we've been in all winter too. We had our second weekend out this weekend and also commented to each other that it probably wouldn't get better than this again until late September!

Saturday night's dram with a view, or view with a dram...
---
Shuggy

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 am

The boat stays in the water over winter which makes the season a bit more bearable. When the sun comes out it is time for varnishing and mending and avoiding the crowds.
I was on the boat over Easter and was suprised at how busy the VHF had become in just a week with two maydays and too many radio checks to count.
Over the winter the only traffic was CG weather forecasts.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:34 pm

Launched 6 April. Apart from being at two (saily) weddings since then have had a really pleasant sail on Sunday to Wreck Bay and anchored for cheese and toast and Tomato soup sitting in glorious sunshine.

I had to tell Claymore that life really doesn't get much better! :wink:

The royal 'We' are becoming grandparents bang in the middle of the season so things may be put on hold whilst the new arrival gets a shoogle or two.

I know what your thinking - far too young to be grandparents...

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Just read a line back there and still reeling from the vision of a shitless shard...

Thank you Donald for telling me all about your great day. I was sat in the midst of a pile of dirty washing with seggs on my hands from building kitchens and tiling in Denmark with just the prospect of work in the morning to look forward to. Great.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 pm

claymore wrote:...the midst of a pile of dirty washing with seggs on my hands from building kitchens and tiling in Denmark with just the prospect of work in the morning to look forward to. Great.

They use scrambled eggs to build in Denmark?

Donald

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:53 am

Aja wrote:I know what your thinking - far too young to be grandparents...

Errmmm, yes, of course.

Congratulations to all concerned!

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 am

Aja my fond fruitbat - you being a stranger to the physicals but a reader of books will better recognise seggs if described as calouses I think.
So - hands of a navvy from tiling, grouting and Ikea-ing.
Better?
Nae eggs!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 am

claymore wrote:Aja my fond fruitbat - you being a stranger to the physicals but a reader of books will better recognise seggs if described as calouses I think.
So - hands of a navvy from tiling, grouting and Ikea-ing.
Better?
Nae eggs!

Fond fruit bat?
Image :oops:

Donald

Return to “Shooting the breeze”